Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

All the Ben sub-plots don't seem necessary. BDSM thing, D'arcy kiss, video competition with that other town.

I feel like the giant cornfield is 100% playing into the season climax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm enjoying this season, even if the show has even less interest in doing alien poo poo than last season had.

It's cute and fun and I like the characters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

Holy poo poo I was about to type poo poo about how bad the fight scenes were shot and then that happened

Yeah, it was a nice pay-off, but neither was shot very well at all. Sad, since the stunt work was basically fine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
TBH the way they've been pacing that plot I wouldn't put it past the show to bring the actress back in some capacity.

I'll laugh really hard if she's a mech with a tiny alien living in her chest.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That, and the kid actors aging presents a problem for the show. I assume they're writing Max out given the development with his parents.

But yeah, there was some stuff in that episode was unnecessarily rushed. The entire military plotline is such a nothingburger at this point, and I'm not feeling the alien conspiracy stuff either... though I was happy to see Enver Gjokaj turn up, even if it was only for a single shot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, if you remove the alien component, it's very similar to a lot of small town Canadian shows-- Schitt's Creek, Little Mosque on the Prairie, etc. a fish out of water small town comedy with a gentle folksy quality. It could easily be a story about an autistic doctor moving into a small town and struggling with a burgeoning sense of community and family.

It's why some of the alien stuff feels so oit of place right now, because it can't be related to most of the show. Pivoting the plot to be about the most classic of small town villains -- evil land developers -- is a good move. It'll get everyone involved in the plot on a more straightforward basis.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

How many episodes is this season supposed to be? I just re-read the thread and saw that the next season is gonna be 12 episodes. Is this gonna be an 8 and 4 split season because that's real weird. Especially because the plot is kinda treading water right now.

Last i heard this season was gonna have 16 episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

also judy is scary

I was about to complain about her not being a regular on the show yet, and it turns out she's one of the writing staff. LMFAO.

She wrote last week's episode, and the Alex Borstein one back in the first half of this season.

Also she was loving Qara in Neverwinter Nights 2, wtffff.

She's great, more Judy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly considering not watching season 3

drat, I remember you being really into season two at one point. What changed?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like the townsfolk, but I thought the plotting became really poor. Particularly in the back half; I swear half the plot involving the town next door happened via people reporting off-screen action.

And didn't they wrap up the whole plot with the bad guy company basically the same way? Oh whoops, that was all handled between episodes, don't think about it.

Think, instead, about Darcy's pain killer dependency. That's a good use of everyone's time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

Didn’t they already say this is the last season?

I swear this was the case, but a goon called me out on it in the Chat thread and then I couldn't find any data to back it up. So maybe they're right then.

The shortened season is not a good sign for future seasons though, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know Judy just had her big episode, but if they don't have her and Edi Patterson share a scene together then this show's priorities are clearly wrong.

Speaking of Judy, her actress (Jenna Lamia) just landed a job as showrunner on Nicole Kidman's new show. Pretty cool.