Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Coming of age in the late 80's/early 90's, it was a different time. Morality was for the religious fringe, and to be mocked. Our concerns were what music genres you listened to, how you dressed, what drugs you did and how much booze you could drink. We cared about our own curated social circles and scorned all others. This being Southern California, this was not about race or sexual orientation, enjoying the wrong kind of music would make you a pariah, the Other, all other differences that take primacy these days were almost irrelevant.

This crucible infects and informs my daily mores still to this day.

Am I a "Good Person"?

I don't care about things that don't directly affect me. Climate Change? Who gives a gently caress unless my home is flooded and my PS5 rendered inert due to water damage. Homeless? Whatever. Your life, your problem. Voting? Politics? Disengaged, can't muster an emotion. Just not down with OPP, Other People's Problems.

I guess I'm a monster, but I really don't care? I tip well. I always go out of my way to be nice to retail/restaurant/service workers. I am kind and supportive of my young adult children, I love them to death and would do anything for them and my very small circle of friends and family.

But outside of that I really don't give a gently caress.

Roast me goons, drunk and ready for it. Or ignore this poo poo and don't care, in which case I can obviously relate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think you need more complexes, OP.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Calling bullshit on you loving your kids if you don't even care about leaving them a husk of a planet. Who you vote for could change that but you don't seem to give a poo poo OP.

I don't really care that much for morality as I think it is often the yoke the rich put on the poor. But if your entire persona is based on booze or what dumb music you consume then whatever.

Anyway my high horse is neighing at me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

vudan posted:

Calling bullshit on you loving your kids if you don't even care about leaving them a husk of a planet

Yeah no the planet will be fine well after they are dead, hyperbole goon noted.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Jfc OP, take these:

:chillpill::chillpill:

And go to bed or something

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm a good person. I know this because people keep offering to touch my peepee.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nooner posted:

And go to bed or something

Going to bed is my special time, and usually I'd already be there, however it's Friday so I'll allow myself some extra stupidity.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

AcidCat posted:

i mean, the planet will be fine, but the people living on it?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
ok boomer

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

OMFG FURRY posted:

i mean, the planet will be fine, but the people living on it?

Still mostly fine yeah.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

AcidCat posted:

I may be exaggarating...but not by much. there is maybe 10 years before things start to get irreversible. We will experience the effects of climate change and we are currently experiencing a mass extinction event. You could even argue that this virus crap is the tip of the iceberg.

But hey, got yours, works for most people tbh.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I was having an argument with my dumbass boomer chud uncle, and he said he didn't give one poo poo about the environment because he would be dead soon.

And I pointed out that two of my cousins were his own children so he should maybe be a little concerned.

And he said "Oh" and it honestly looked like he had never made that connection before, and I was like "lol."

Anyway I didn't read the OP.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Dogmeat posted:

Anyway I didn't read the OP.

Ahh, thanks. Once in a blue moon I get a wild hair and post something. Tomorrow I'll be like, wtf why, so you're ahead of the curve. I'm tired, this nihlist gonna get cozy very soon.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

AcidCat posted:

Coming of age in the late 80's/early 90's, it was a different time. Morality was for the religious fringe, and to be mocked. Our concerns were what music genres you listened to, how you dressed, what drugs you did and how much booze you could drink. We cared about our own curated social circles and scorned all others. This being Southern California, this was not about race or sexual orientation, enjoying the wrong kind of music would make you a pariah, the Other, all other differences that take primacy these days were almost irrelevant.

I mean this was high school/grade school for me too but gently caress I haven't been in that headspace for a long time.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

AcidCat posted:

Ahh, thanks. Once in a blue moon I get a wild hair and post something. Tomorrow I'll be like, wtf why, so you're ahead of the curve. I'm tired, this nihlist gonna get cozy very soon.

He's a dumb rear end in a top hat, but he gets kidney stones a lot so I sort of get it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gas

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Kindness was invented by the devil way back in the olden times

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Being a good person in the US is a fool’s errand. It’s well known that successful CEOs have psychopathic tendencies, and trying to make a living in empathetic careers(education, healthcare) will leave you broke and sad. There’s absolutely no way you can affect national policy in any capacity unless you’re funneling cash to corrupt politicians, so I understand OP’s nihilism.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

AcidCat posted:

I'm tired, this nihlist...

You are not a nihilist, you are just selfish and might have boomer brains and depression, but I ain't your brain doctor.

You care about yourself and your comfort, not about others, even those you should love and protect.

Go to bed and sleep this one off. Maybe think on it tomorrow.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

i don't think it's even boomer brains or depression, i think it's just common apathy that the vast majority of people feel about things which don't pertain to themselves.

you sound like you're basically content in whatever your world is but are randomly questioning it due to media and internet brain poisoning.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LOL

No im a good person. im just really really really tired.

era of narcissism etc etc what is "good" and what is "bad" anyway etc etc there's a spectrum and poo poo. humans are flawed. empathy is good. humans are all connected. ok that's all i got and it's not like OP really cares to get philosophical rn.

oh yeh also don't do coke. studies show regular users struggle to feel empathy for others

Cosmic Thing fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 5, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drat, OP is cool as hell. I hope one day to be that cool.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
self-justification is a brittle shell that you can carry with you all the way to the grave, but you'll never be able to forget its weight, and in the end all it will have protected you from are things that could have made you beautiful and complete

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Tomorrow I'll be like, wtf why,

you should practice feeling this before you do things instead of after you've already done them

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about, AcidCat

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Had another person offer to touch my peepee tonight, so I guess I'm nicer than I thought!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Lots of people aren't good people, but its very easy to share pastel coloured infographics about important-things-you-can-do and then not do any of them in the panopticon of social media, OP.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

You actually seem like a dumbass piece of poo poo op, hth

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I also live my life according to the lyrics of Dire Straits' Heavy Fuel

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s all about getting your eyebrow game and socks game tight or getting murdered by the “good” users of a computer program that requires child sacrifice to function.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I don't know have you heard of a little.guy named jesus??????

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I know from own experience that is is very easy to feel powerless when reading about global or regional crises such as global warming, Covid19, the depredation of the Amazon rainforest, and so on, keep piling on, uuhh the Uighur genocide in China, proliferation of microplastics, etc.. good god stop me

It's vitally important to make the distinction between problems you can solve on your own, the problems that you can influence in one way or the other, and not let the big issues overwhelm you.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I don't know have you heard of a little.guy named jesus??????

Go big and bad or go home idiot. :colbert:

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I try very hard to be a good person in terms of my personal actions towards others but I don’t really care to try to keep up with having the correct opinions about things

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It still isnt, op, whats popular is attempting to appear like a good person

kru
Oct 5, 2003

kru
Oct 5, 2003

* taps out cigarette *

deal with it kiddo

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Russian military can just do a put on anyone and get them murdered by a gang member solely on looks.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Probably sooner or later kids will get fed up with their parents constantly chasing whatever is currently considered correct, and they will become a generation of badasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
even rage against the machine became the machine, what the gently caress chance did we have

me I cope by touching peoples peepees, thats the fuckin best right there