Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
When faced with a moral quandary, always pick the option highlighted in blue - actions highlighted in orange will give you negative karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

the eternal question

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

AcidCat posted:

(Self-centred rant.)

OP, only the ignorant attempt to categorise certain people as "good". It's not for man to judge.

However some people do make an effort, at least part of the time, to be better people, which includes considering others.

Psychopaths, aka sociopaths, and assholes generally will of course disagres. And based on what you wrote, you are clearly a sociopath and or a real rear end in a top hat.

I have no interest in your response as it will be more rantings from a diseased individual. You will feel obliged to make one here anyway, since silence for you is intolerable, it gives you a creeping realisation of just how hosed up you've become from your choices.

Karma is unavoidable, and there will be a lot coming your way, if you choose to live long enough. Wishing you all self knowledge and attraction to the light. And the justice you deserve.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i wonder if you get bad karma by being passive aggressive

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
coward OP left their roast early

"Good" is such a meaningless descriptor for a person anyway. We're all idiot corks bobbing around on a piss ocean of events that we have very little control over. We got gut flora who can tell us what mood we're in. We're inundated constantly with narratives that drive us to act against our own best interests.

sometimes though we fart out actions that are kind or constructive or bigger than ourselves, and that is pretty good.

e: the effect of OP's karma is that all of us in samsara have to be incarnate with posts like this thread

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cubone posted:

self-justification is a brittle shell that you can carry with you all the way to the grave, but you'll never be able to forget its weight, and in the end all it will have protected you from are things that could have made you beautiful and complete

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s always been ‘popular’ OP you’re just a weird edgy teenage POS

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cosmic Thing posted:

i mean sure gen x is known for its apathy, but i think gen xers had WAAAAAAAAAAY more empathy than the current generation. we are living in the age of narcissists now... but that makes sense.. their parents are the gen exers.

personally i have too much empathy and i wish to not care anymore. i will gladly give extra to someone in need.

It's really strange that this forum full of Gen X people routinely inflates their worthless generation as both morally superior to the hated Boomer and also the hated Millennial.

"No no no you see being the generation of Ok Soda was actually a noble existence that meant something I mean nothing."

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How does an lsd hippie turn into whatever op is now

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AcidCat posted:

I guess I'm a monster, but I really don't care? I tip well. I always go out of my way to be nice to retail/restaurant/service workers. I am kind and supportive of my young adult children, I love them to death and would do anything for them and my very small circle of friends and family.

Wow you open your wallet when you're supposed to and care about your kids. You're supposed to do that you don't get a cookie.

"I'd do anything for my kids and family" sounds like the thinly veiled threats of someone with fantasies of violence just saying. People who actually care about and love their family don't broadcast stuff like that. Only weird Christian psychos who own camo and bow-hunt say that kind of poo poo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have never once set fire to a homeless person even when I was positive I could get away with it, but sure, let's all heap praise on the guy that tips 20%.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

op, did you retreat to reddit dot com when you started getting roasted here?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

when yours doesnt work you gotta meet people whose do

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ad by Khad posted:

when yours doesnt work you gotta meet people whose do

this is the worst advice I have heard in while

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

This thread actually made me think about something that happened a few years ago. I don't know why.

I was in a supermarket getting lunch and I was standing behind an old lady who had just rung up a large box of groceries. She obviously couldn't take it out to her car boot herself so I offered to do it. Her and the girl working the checkout seemed completely taken aback by this. I didn't know her, I was a stranger and I didn't work there.

I understand at one time this would have been considered normal behaviour. In fact, maybe something that would have been expected.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the last few decades it has sort of become unpopular to be a good person.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Valko posted:

This thread actually made me think about something that happened a few years ago. I don't know why.

I was in a supermarket getting lunch and I was standing behind an old lady who had just rung up a large box of groceries. She obviously couldn't take it out to her car boot herself so I offered to do it. Her and the girl working the checkout seemed completely taken aback by this. I didn't know her, I was a stranger and I didn't work there.

I understand at one time this would have been considered normal behaviour. In fact, maybe something that would have been expected.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the last few decades it has sort of become unpopular to be a good person.

Agreed

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
good deed, good job

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Valko posted:

oh yeah, that's why I'm unpopular too.
:wink:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Valko posted:

Yeah I don't get this thing that it's popular to be a good human being now. I sure don't see it. And you did good for that small task of helping someone who needed it.

I always wanted to do go things or at least something to help other people. I was a firefighter, EMT, I'm a volunteer at a disaster response organization to help people at their worst, I help get food ready for needy people at a church (I'm not a christian) sometimes. A month or two ago a tiny old woman asked me to help move things into her car at Costco. I do it. It's really easy to do the most basic of things that everyone should do. It just feels like the right thing to do. :shrug:

Not being a dick is all that I ask for people these days. That's the most I can hope for. I truly do have hate in my heart for people like Trump supporters, but I hate them because they're filled with hate towards so many others. So that's a battle I'm not winning. By their extreme hatred they are creating hate in me. That's unfortunate.

Who gives a poo poo what's popular and what isn't (being good is not popular). Just try to be good to other people around you. You can change someone's day just by being polite. Here's a dumb story where being just a decent person was beneficial. I remember I was drunk and ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut one time and I (thought I) ordered a pepperoni stuffed crust pizza and I got a plain cheese pizza. I called up the store super pissed off, which is unlike me, but I wanted my god damned pizza right and gently caress them for screwing it up. The guy kept saying that was the order that was sent in and I was like "Oh yeah?! Well let me check my receipt!" He was right. I didn't save my set up when I placed my order and so it was just the default. I apologized for the error and for being a dick. This is what he said. "NO ONE apologizes to me and I have to put up with this poo poo every night. I'm sending you the pizza you wanted for free as soon as I can make it." I said, man you don't have to do that, I hosed up. But he was adamant so I said I'd give the driver a huge rear end tip. I don't really know what this has to do with anything, but just the basic practice of being nice to other people is being a "good person."

First rule to being a good person: don't be a dick.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The Walrus posted:

How does an lsd hippie turn into whatever op is now

Because identical to most lsd hippies he never gave a poo poo about anything at all except really dumb crap about music tribalism?
He's just a hedonistic loser who dressed up his being a hedonistic loserism as some kind of cool rebellion, and is extremely mad that this doesn't make him cool to anyone anymore.

Def betting his kids consider him a lame old fart and it's breaking his heart more than climate change ever will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm an LSD hippie dont lump me in with Brian over here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
(i don't actually know if OP is named Brian but boy that would be fuckin hilarous wouldnt it haha)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I don't get this thing that it's popular to be a good human being now. I sure don't see it. And you did good for that small task of helping someone who needed it.

I always wanted to do go things or at least something to help other people. I was a firefighter, EMT, I'm a volunteer at a disaster response organization to help people at their worst, I help get food ready for needy people at a church (I'm not a christian) sometimes. A month or two ago a tiny old woman asked me to help move things into her car at Costco. I do it. It's really easy to do the most basic of things that everyone should do. It just feels like the right thing to do. :shrug:

Not being a dick is all that I ask for people these days. That's the most I can hope for. I truly do have hate in my heart for people like Trump supporters, but I hate them because they're filled with hate towards so many others. So that's a battle I'm not winning. By their extreme hatred they are creating hate in me. That's unfortunate.

Who gives a poo poo what's popular and what isn't (being good is not popular). Just try to be good to other people around you. You can change someone's day just by being polite. Here's a dumb story where being just a decent person was beneficial. I remember I was drunk and ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut one time and I (thought I) ordered a pepperoni stuffed crust pizza and I got a plain cheese pizza. I called up the store super pissed off, which is unlike me, but I wanted my god damned pizza right and gently caress them for screwing it up. The guy kept saying that was the order that was sent in and I was like "Oh yeah?! Well let me check my receipt!" He was right. I didn't save my set up when I placed my order and so it was just the default. I apologized for the error and for being a dick. This is what he said. "NO ONE apologizes to me and I have to put up with this poo poo every night. I'm sending you the pizza you wanted for free as soon as I can make it." I said, man you don't have to do that, I hosed up. But he was adamant so I said I'd give the driver a huge rear end tip. I don't really know what this has to do with anything, but just the basic practice of being nice to other people is being a "good person."

First rule to being a good person: don't be a dick.

This is pretty blessed

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

"Good" is such a meaningless descriptor for a person anyway.

I disagree. I could be stealing from my roomates, murdering people in my free time (that would be a lot of murders), or going out to bars and looking to start a fight. There are a lot of ways to be an overall detractor or bad person, and I consider myself at least a decent if not good person by not partaking in those activities.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not good but i'm... heh... i'm "good at it"

:cool:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

i'm not good but i'm... heh... i'm "good at it"

:cool:

disclaimer: "it" is not posting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

disclaimer: "it" is not posting

rude

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm in like the top 60% of posters EASY

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

i'm in like the top 60% of posters EASY

you slut

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

The General posted:

I disagree. I could be stealing from my roomates, murdering people in my free time (that would be a lot of murders), or going out to bars and looking to start a fight. There are a lot of ways to be an overall detractor or bad person, and I consider myself at least a decent if not good person by not partaking in those activities.

When you actually stop to think about it, it seems better that the idea of "being good" ie: respecting other humans - ohmygod I just realized op is just another moron whining about SJWs

Anyway OP I think it's better that people are striving to be seen as "good people" to be popular, as opposed to having them be considered popular just because they listen to certain bands

Seems like an upgrade to me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Being a good person isn't a loving label. It's just a thing you do.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
"Good" is a very useful descriptor in the same way "evil" is a very useful descriptor and I'm very comfortable calling certain people evil

It's not like I believe in some universal actual good and evil forces like some dungeons and dragons poo poo it's just a really good shorthand that most people seem to understand. People who are more concerned with being pedantic about it not ~actually existing~ are incredibly tiresome. I used to be one of those people and it was a terrible waste of my time and everyone else's time. There's still a lot of other lovely things to hammer out about myself but I'm glad I got that one out at least

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Just don't be a jerk. Unless its funny to be a jerk. But don't go overboard with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Being a good person isn't a loving label. It's just a thing you do.

personally i have an inner voice constantly always and forever screaming at me for not being perfect even though i'm way nicer than most people because even though i was NOT raised catholic or particularly religiously, really i had a great childhood in almost every way, even still there is a thing in my brain that's like "yeah, that's fine, but you're STILL NOT PERFECT"

i wish i was kidding

every tiny thing i do, things that most people would never even consider, i torture myself over

it kind of sucks!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

personally i have an inner voice constantly always and forever screaming at me for not being perfect even though i'm way nicer than most people because even though i was NOT raised catholic or particularly religiously, really i had a great childhood in almost every way, even still there is a thing in my brain that's like "yeah, that's fine, but you're STILL NOT PERFECT"

i wish i was kidding

every tiny thing i do, things that most people would never even consider, i torture myself over

it kind of sucks!

I think your perfect Precision.
HA! it's even in your name

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

precision posted:

i wish i was kidding

it kind of sucks!

:hfive: Hell yeah brother! :smith:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

precision posted:

i wish i was kidding

it kind of sucks!

on the other hand, doesn't this mean you're always seeking to improve yourself?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

precision posted:

i wish i was kidding

it kind of sucks!

I also have OCD.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I have never once set fire to a homeless person even when I was positive I could get away with it, but sure, let's all heap praise on the guy that tips 20%.

"Never once", so you've done it twice or more? :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pitdragon posted:

on the other hand, doesn't this mean you're always seeking to improve yourself?

Constantly. And when you don't live up to your own expectations of progress it's devastating! :eng101: