Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
It's extremely funny to think also that the OP's all important musical identity was probably some kind of lovely skate-punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQC1czUIQA&t=177s

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

precision posted:

personally i have an inner voice constantly always and forever screaming at me for not being perfect even though i'm way nicer than most people because even though i was NOT raised catholic or particularly religiously, really i had a great childhood in almost every way, even still there is a thing in my brain that's like "yeah, that's fine, but you're STILL NOT PERFECT"

i wish i was kidding

every tiny thing i do, things that most people would never even consider, i torture myself over

it kind of sucks!

I feel you

but even though you won't believe it (I know cos I wouldn't either)

you are enough already

genuinely

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Grape posted:

It's really strange that this forum full of Gen X people routinely inflates their worthless generation as both morally superior to the hated Boomer and also the hated Millennial.

"No no no you see being the generation of Ok Soda was actually a noble existence that meant something I mean nothing."

All of those old "Oh my god, I've become my parents!!!" jokes/cliches/predictions apply almost elusively to Gen X. Boomers certainly didn't worry about turning into their parents. In modern times, that stuff has fallen out of use almost entirely, since it's pretty clear that the stereotypical Millenials won't be turning into their parents after all (because they can't goddamn afford to).

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

The General posted:

I disagree. I could be stealing from my roomates, murdering people in my free time (that would be a lot of murders), or going out to bars and looking to start a fight. There are a lot of ways to be an overall detractor or bad person, and I consider myself at least a decent if not good person by not partaking in those activities.

I guess I could have qualified that a little more. I work professionally with a population that at any given time may or may not include people who have been convicted and imprisoned for crimes ranging from stupid to gnarly. I also work with people who exist on the fringe of the law, who do things that the average person might find unpleasant or immoral. Some of them are drat good people and I'd go to bat for them any day of the week. But I'd have an understandably hard time convincing anyone else to see them the way I do.

On the other hand, I sometimes come into contact with conscientious types who go through all the outward motions of goodness (charity, volunteerism, community activism, etc), who also harbor really gross opinions, or do really gross things. As with the above, it would be hard for me to convince others they were not good, because they go through the correct motions.

So I guess when I say it's a meaningless descriptor, what I mean is that people are really complicated and the good/bad dichotomy is very reductive. The OP's version of a "good" person is pretty facile.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gas

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Constantly. And when you don't live up to your own expectations of progress it's devastating! :eng101:

lmfao heck yeah it owns :smith: :hf: :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
*me, standing at the Panera kiosk*

*orders a single bagel with no spread. $1.91 after tax*

*finger reaches out to the $1 tip button*

i stand there for literally 5 minutes arguing with myself. "dude" i say "dude bro literally and for real you have tipped this specific place literally hundreds of dollars, you stop here almost every morning and EVERY OTHER TIME you have tipped $3, it is OKAY to only tip one dollar today, most people don't even tip at all!

but the other voice, it says

"yeah. but. you COULD tip $3. YOU CAN AFFORD IT, poo poo BAG."

i sigh and press the $3 button

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not doing a bit i really am that fuckin ridiculous haha

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I hope you find a way to get out of your own way soon

I imagine you'll be able to accomplish all sorts of good poo poo when you do

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sitting Here posted:

I guess I could have qualified that a little more. I work professionally with a population that at any given time may or may not include people who have been convicted and imprisoned for crimes ranging from stupid to gnarly. I also work with people who exist on the fringe of the law, who do things that the average person might find unpleasant or immoral. Some of them are drat good people and I'd go to bat for them any day of the week. But I'd have an understandably hard time convincing anyone else to see them the way I do.

On the other hand, I sometimes come into contact with conscientious types who go through all the outward motions of goodness (charity, volunteerism, community activism, etc), who also harbor really gross opinions, or do really gross things. As with the above, it would be hard for me to convince others they were not good, because they go through the correct motions.

So I guess when I say it's a meaningless descriptor, what I mean is that people are really complicated and the good/bad dichotomy is very reductive. The OP's version of a "good" person is pretty facile.

It might be worth noting for you that the first names that come to mind for me, when I think of people to apply the word "evil" to who are alive today, are names like Joe Arpaio and Burl Cain. Good and evil are certainly subjective terms, but I would hope most people in the world have enough sense to understand that deriving moral judgment from law is not just backward, but also that evil is carried out in the name of the law all the loving time. I'm sure you know this, but for others who don't, the US is particularly hosed up in one aspect, as we're the only country (to my knowledge) that allows juvenile offenders to be sentenced to life without parole, and we sentence kids as young as 13 to die in prison.

I think that "good" is a useful term, and should be kept in use if for no other reason than to have some contrast against evil. There's some terrible poo poo out there, and there are people who have done terrible things, but recognize that, and want to do good. I'll go to bat for them. There are people who do terrible things and insist that they are doing good. Those people make this world worse until they stop.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
yeah sorry i wasn't trying to imply that i, sitting here, thought the word good shouldn't be used ever. Describe things and/or people as good all you want!!

I think all humans owe it to each other to treat one another with grace and compassion and understanding regardless of how hip and cool those actions are.

e: i also feel like i gotta point out, a lot of people equate the law with morality which is why people marginalized by the legal system fall through the cracks so easily

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 7, 2022

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

gen x again telling everyone how much they dont care

if you really didnt care you wouldnt post about this at all op

There is no Gen X, it goes from Millennial straight to Boomer

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ban the op for being a cowardly piece of poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sitting Here posted:

yeah sorry i wasn't trying to imply that i, sitting here, thought the word good shouldn't be used ever. Describe things and/or people as good all you want!!

I think all humans owe it to each other to treat one another with grace and compassion and understanding regardless of how hip and cool those actions are.

e: i also feel like i gotta point out, a lot of people equate the law with morality which is why people marginalized by the legal system fall through the cracks so easily

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of people who do equate those, and they are very wrong and just make things worse. I tend to see those kinds of people supporting punishment over rehabilitation too, which just leads to recidivism, so they contribute to what they say is bad

Jay Leno managed to say a thing a long time ago that got etched into my mind, on an episode of Top Gear - "In America, we like everyone to know about the good work we're doing anonymously"

In a way I think it's kind of a shame that instead of being able to regularly say you did a good thing, and being rightly praised and encouraged for it on a regular basis, that's seen as improper, or you can get accused of virtue signaling like if you really were a good person you wouldn't brag about it, you're just trying to score social points. Yeah there's a lot of stuff you should just be doing but there's also a lot of stuff people go out of their way to do, and never talk about, and I kinda feel like more people would go that little bit further to help someone and make a day a little bit brighter if that could also be worthy of a "hell yeah, that's good poo poo dude," and that's all it would have to be, instead of admonishment for thinking someone would care

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BigBadSteve posted:

OP, only the ignorant attempt to categorise certain people as "good". It's not for man to judge.

However some people do make an effort, at least part of the time, to be better people, which includes considering others.

Psychopaths, aka sociopaths, and assholes generally will of course disagres. And based on what you wrote, you are clearly a sociopath and or a real rear end in a top hat.

I have no interest in your response as it will be more rantings from a diseased individual. You will feel obliged to make one here anyway, since silence for you is intolerable, it gives you a creeping realisation of just how hosed up you've become from your choices.

Karma is unavoidable, and there will be a lot coming your way, if you choose to live long enough. Wishing you all self knowledge and attraction to the light. And the justice you deserve.

Source your quotes, where do you find airheads this bad? It's like pop buddhism reddit, it's purestrain and I need more.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
As far as the OP goes, I grew up poor and visibly disabled.

People have always been poo poo, people remain exactly as poo poo, giant meteor 2024. You're no different from almost everyone around you.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Peggy Edson posted:

Ban the op for being a cowardly piece of poo poo

Make it a perma unless he can write a 16 page essay on why modern teens should care about his 80's dadrock butt-punk tribe.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ayy, kiddo. Tell your mum I can't pay the child support this month. Now are you ready for your one weekend a month trip to Mickey-Ds which is what I inexplicably still call it?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

RIDE AHRD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
UNBELIEVABLE!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

AcidCat posted:

I guess I'm a monster, but I really don't care? I tip well. I always go out of my way to be nice to retail/restaurant/service workers. I am kind and supportive of my young adult children, I love them to death and would do anything for them and my very small circle of friends and family.

Ah you’re gen x. That explains everything frankly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you should tip and treat people well but what really makes you a "good person" is if you have paid your $30 to "Bob"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thinking back ellisd was always kind of the proto three olives

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The Walrus posted:

thinking back ellisd was always kind of the proto three olives

Do you remember that time he had cybersex with his unwitting uncle, revealed who he was and then blackmailed him by threatening to show the chatlogs to his wife?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Valko posted:

Do you remember that time he had cybersex with his unwitting uncle, revealed who he was and then blackmailed him by threatening to show the chatlogs to his wife?

Whomst among us has not had this happen?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Valko posted:

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Just became a good person. Anything I should know?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

All of those old "Oh my god, I've become my parents!!!" jokes/cliches/predictions apply almost elusively to Gen X. Boomers certainly didn't worry about turning into their parents. In modern times, that stuff has fallen out of use almost entirely, since it's pretty clear that the stereotypical Millenials won't be turning into their parents after all (because they can't goddamn afford to).

Actually the reason only Gen X was paranoid of turning into their parents is their parents were goddamn boomers and no one wants to be a boomer.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Be a doog nosrep backwards

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

AcidCat posted:

Coming of age in the late 80's/early 90's, it was a different time. Morality was for the religious fringe, and to be mocked. Our concerns were what music genres you listened to, how you dressed, what drugs you did and how much booze you could drink. We cared about our own curated social circles and scorned all others. This being Southern California, this was not about race or sexual orientation, enjoying the wrong kind of music would make you a pariah, the Other, all other differences that take primacy these days were almost irrelevant.

This crucible infects and informs my daily mores still to this day.

Am I a "Good Person"?

I don't care about things that don't directly affect me. Climate Change? Who gives a gently caress unless my home is flooded and my PS5 rendered inert due to water damage. Homeless? Whatever. Your life, your problem. Voting? Politics? Disengaged, can't muster an emotion. Just not down with OPP, Other People's Problems.

I guess I'm a monster, but I really don't care? I tip well. I always go out of my way to be nice to retail/restaurant/service workers. I am kind and supportive of my young adult children, I love them to death and would do anything for them and my very small circle of friends and family.

But outside of that I really don't give a gently caress.

Roast me goons, drunk and ready for it. Or ignore this poo poo and don't care, in which case I can obviously relate.
You wrote a rant because you don't care about how people view you so you wrote a bunch about how the perspective people have of you is incorrect.

Sounds like you care. What are you, human? Lol.

Like Andy here. New jacket, clean. Clean gloves. Nails, trimmed and manicured. This dude is a punk he's a fraud. Laughable HOW MUCH he cares. His whole image is faux tough.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 7, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

AcidCat posted:

Coming of age in the late 80's/early 90's, it was a different time. Morality was for the religious fringe, and to be mocked. Our concerns were what music genres you listened to, how you dressed, what drugs you did and how much booze you could drink. We cared about our own curated social circles and scorned all others. This being Southern California, this was not about race or sexual orientation, enjoying the wrong kind of music would make you a pariah, the Other, all other differences that take primacy these days were almost irrelevant.

This crucible infects and informs my daily mores still to this day.

Am I a "Good Person"?

I don't care about things that don't directly affect me. Climate Change? Who gives a gently caress unless my home is flooded and my PS5 rendered inert due to water damage. Homeless? Whatever. Your life, your problem. Voting? Politics? Disengaged, can't muster an emotion. Just not down with OPP, Other People's Problems.

But outside of that I really don't give a gently caress.

Roast me goons, drunk and ready for it. Or ignore this poo poo and don't care, in which case I can obviously relate.

Hi, op. What happened was that apathetic assholes were included as part of the alliance of "pretty much everyone" against the axis of dullards, squares, and evangelicals in the great Sex & Violence in Media War of the late 20th century.

Well, we won that war, sort of, when we signed the still-controversial Let's-Agree-to-Mutually-Give-Up Treaty of 2007 in which the Allied Everyone received our sexy and violent media while the Axis Pussies got to keep their guns.

In any case, however, without an immediate threat to our collective sexy & violent media, the pact between everyone and the apathetic assholes disintegrated as the latter's general assholishness against people like rape victims, queer folks, and anyone who listened to music without electric guitars was no longer tolerated, leaving the apathetic assholes open to being courted by the former Axis of Pussies, who also augmented their numbers with conspiracy theorist weirdos.

Also Michael Jackson, who back in the day made an entire album glorifying the concept of being "Bad," was confirmed to be a child molester, and that made a lot of people realize that being bad was actually overrated.

Wordicuffs
Jun 14, 2011
Caring about climate change, homelessness, and voting doesn't make you a good person. I think you just might just be stupid OP. Maybe lay off the booze and videogames and read something that isn't propaganda.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Grape posted:

It's extremely funny to think also that the OP's all important musical identity was probably some kind of lovely skate-punk.

Nah it was 80s/90s "alternative", Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive etc etc.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Wordicuffs posted:

Maybe lay off the booze

But then I'd probably never post. Riposte/yes haha that would be best. But, come on, it's CONTENT right.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ah you’re gen x. That explains everything frankly.

Yeah I know.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hey guys OP is back.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Hi guys! I'm back! But I'm quickly getting bored again, and will probably go to sleep because this forum moves too slow for my attention span, and by tomorrow I'm shopping at Fred Meyer and doing practical things and forgetting this dumb poo poo again till the next time I'm drunk and bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah, I get it. I grew up with the understanding that the more detached and unflappable you were, the cooler you would be considered by society. At some point things changed, and I hate it. It was a loving bait and switch. There are a finite number of things I can care about without giving myself a horrible panic attack, and I hit my limit probably 25 years ago. If I started caring about social justice, or climate change, or wealth inequality, or any serious problems, I would just be constantly agonizing over my inability to do anything about them.

Yeah I getcha. Although my response is not "horrible panic attack" but just not giving a gently caress. And allowing myself to not give a gently caress without judging myself.