Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The General posted:

Yes this is called being a teenager. Ideally you grow up and learn to have things like compassion for other people, and the decency not to throw your beercans allover the road and peoples lawns.

Rest assured General I don't litter.

But my compassion certainly has limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

BigBadSteve posted:

Karma is unavoidable, and there will be a lot coming your way, if you choose to live long enough. Wishing you all self knowledge and attraction to the light. And the justice you deserve.

I have to recognize your post because, it seems you put a bit of effort into it, but then you end on KARMA lol, sorry, yeah that's not real so you're as dumb as me at least, or worse.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
For someone that doesn't care you post a lot explaining why you don't care OP.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

For someone that doesn't care you post a lot explaining why you don't care OP.

Oh come now. I left and let this thread marinate, I had to come back at some point. And I think you're being reductive about "don't care"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Being a good person was never out of vogue with real people, it was only just on TV and in media that being a sociopath was considered a virtue unto itself. Extreme minorities however are always the loudest. Like Techbro libertarian weirdos and self-flagellating SJW concern trolls on twitter, they represent very small portions of people's actual feelings on topics or issues.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tarkus posted:

Being a good person was never out of vogue with real people, it was only just on TV and in media that being a sociopath was considered a virtue unto itself. .

I guess I'm looking to carve out some ground between "good person" and "sociopath"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

AcidCat posted:

I guess I'm looking to carve out some ground between "good person" and "sociopath"

That's where the vast majority of people are. We make jokes about 'land of contrasts' but that's the truth, we can be good and suck in varying quantities. We're just loving clever monkeys and I think we expect way too much from ourselves sometimes.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tarkus posted:

That's where the vast majority of people are. We make jokes about 'land of contrasts' but that's the truth, we can be good and suck in varying quantities. We're just loving clever monkeys and I think we expect way too much from ourselves sometimes.

Yes, this.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

AcidCat posted:

Oh come now. I left and let this thread marinate, I had to come back at some point. And I think you're being reductive about "don't care"

No I'm not :smug:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I care so little that I'm barely conscious of reading this thread. In fact, I had somebody else write this post because I simply couldn't be bothered to waste my precious time.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tarkus posted:

I care so little that I'm barely conscious of reading this thread. In fact, I had somebody else write this post because I simply couldn't be bothered to waste my precious time.

I had a sensible chuckle, but really we have varying levels of care. Like, I made the OP while approaching blackout drunk, but I think I had some kind of point? Then the next morning I'm like, ugh I made a dumb drunkpost on SA, I was cognizant, but put it on the back burner of Care. Knew I'd come 'round eventually to absorb all the punches. Now I'm approaching drunk bedtime and this forum will once again retreat into the fog. But it will remain in that weird superspace of care/don't care.

I remain Not A Good Person.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Perhaps you could listen the multitude reasons you're not a good person so that others in the thread can comedically berate you for them. That sounds like a fun way to spend time.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

AcidCat posted:

I had a sensible chuckle, but really we have varying levels of care. Like, I made the OP while approaching blackout drunk, but I think I had some kind of point? Then the next morning I'm like, ugh I made a dumb drunkpost on SA, I was cognizant, but put it on the back burner of Care. Knew I'd come 'round eventually to absorb all the punches. Now I'm approaching drunk bedtime and this forum will once again retreat into the fog. But it will remain in that weird superspace of care/don't care.

I remain Not A Good Person.

Same here, sometimes I'm pretty drunk and post some kind of hot take then feel guilty about it in the morning. Usually turns out that people completely skip over what I said and I had nothing to worry about, though once in a while I get a bit of guff. That said I've never been probated for my drunken posts since I tend to overthink my posts even then.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This is a pretty decent troll effort
Good job.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Poohs Packin posted:

Perhaps you could listen the multitude reasons you're not a good person so that others in the thread can comedically berate you for them. That sounds like a fun way to spend time.

The real issue here is why you're no longer going by "The Continental". This is an injustice beyond words.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tarkus posted:

The real issue here is why you're no longer going by "The Continental". This is an injustice beyond words.

I got excited about a draw your new username thread and ended up with this monstrosity. 10 internet points if you can guess what I drew.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

AcidCat posted:

Coming of age in the late 80's/early 90's, it was a different time. Morality was for the religious fringe, and to be mocked. Our concerns were what music genres you listened to, how you dressed, what drugs you did and how much booze you could drink. We cared about our own curated social circles and scorned all others. This being Southern California, this was not about race or sexual orientation, enjoying the wrong kind of music would make you a pariah, the Other, all other differences that take primacy these days were almost irrelevant.

This crucible infects and informs my daily mores still to this day.

Am I a "Good Person"?

I don't care about things that don't directly affect me. Climate Change? Who gives a gently caress unless my home is flooded and my PS5 rendered inert due to water damage. Homeless? Whatever. Your life, your problem. Voting? Politics? Disengaged, can't muster an emotion. Just not down with OPP, Other People's Problems.

I guess I'm a monster, but I really don't care? I tip well. I always go out of my way to be nice to retail/restaurant/service workers. I am kind and supportive of my young adult children, I love them to death and would do anything for them and my very small circle of friends and family.

But outside of that I really don't give a gently caress.

Roast me goons, drunk and ready for it. Or ignore this poo poo and don't care, in which case I can obviously relate.

Theres that saying, wisdom for things I can control and serenity for things you can't.
You're not bad person for not changing what you can't control.

As far as being a good person. It's a lot less fringe than you think, but it's a seperate world from what you grew up with.

I grew up with the same kind of peers, but my parents were into a foreign religion so I ended up very separate culturally than my peers.

Being good is very in vogue these days and it very tiresome and I think very disingenuous, it's like cowards are trying to prove their being brave from the farthest back they can possibly be.

Sorry I wasn't here sooner, I haven't read your thread

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

gas

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

We cared about the ozone layer OP. I stopped using hairspray and now there's no more acid rain. You're welcome.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I found your problem, op.

You are a loving moron E: or blackout drunk and ranting works as well

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

AcidCat posted:

Yes, this.

No, you actually do suck

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

AcidCat posted:

Coming of age in the late 80's/early 90's, it was a different time. Morality was for the religious fringe, and to be mocked. Our concerns were what music genres you listened to, how you dressed, what drugs you did and how much booze you could drink. We cared about our own curated social circles and scorned all others. This being Southern California, this was not about race or sexual orientation, enjoying the wrong kind of music would make you a pariah, the Other, all other differences that take primacy these days were almost irrelevant.

This crucible infects and informs my daily mores still to this day.

Am I a "Good Person"?

I don't care about things that don't directly affect me. Climate Change? Who gives a gently caress unless my home is flooded and my PS5 rendered inert due to water damage. Homeless? Whatever. Your life, your problem. Voting? Politics? Disengaged, can't muster an emotion. Just not down with OPP, Other People's Problems.

I guess I'm a monster, but I really don't care? I tip well. I always go out of my way to be nice to retail/restaurant/service workers. I am kind and supportive of my young adult children, I love them to death and would do anything for them and my very small circle of friends and family.

But outside of that I really don't give a gently caress.

Roast me goons, drunk and ready for it. Or ignore this poo poo and don't care, in which case I can obviously relate.

sellout

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AcidCat posted:

Homeless? Whatever. Your life, your problem.

I was homeless and goons got me out so man am I glad not everyone thinks this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw a news story about a lady who bought a lumpy overstuffed chair at an estate sale and she discovered it was lumpy because the former owner had stuffed it full of like $40,000 in cash

She went and contacted the person who sold it to her and they thanked her, took the money back, mentioned they hadn't checked the chair but had found lots of money stuffed elsewhere, and as a token of appreciation bought her a nice fridge and went on their way.

She commented that she could have really used the money but she felt "it was the right thing to do, and now I have a nice fridge" and all I could think was "drat lady, you've got a kid to take care of and outright said you need the money, they clearly aren't hurting for cash and handed you the equivalent of a nice car stuffed inside a chair, and you just gave it up because it made you feel righteous. gently caress that, put your children ahead of your moral superiority

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I saw a news story about a lady who bought a lumpy overstuffed chair at an estate sale and she discovered it was lumpy because the former owner had stuffed it full of like $40,000 in cash

She went and contacted the person who sold it to her and they thanked her, took the money back, mentioned they hadn't checked the chair but had found lots of money stuffed elsewhere, and as a token of appreciation bought her a nice fridge and went on their way.

She commented that she could have really used the money but she felt "it was the right thing to do, and now I have a nice fridge" and all I could think was "drat lady, you've got a kid to take care of and outright said you need the money, they clearly aren't hurting for cash and handed you the equivalent of a nice car stuffed inside a chair, and you just gave it up because it made you feel righteous. gently caress that, put your children ahead of your moral superiority

you're right, and it is *not* selling out to take money away from rich people

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

AcidCat posted:

Yeah no the planet will be fine well after they are dead, hyperbole goon noted.

They’ll at least have a lower quality of life. What that might look like is up in the air but they’ll be living it and even if you weren’t too cool to care you’d still be a contributing factor.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Change title to When did you stop "Gooding" your "Person"?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah but you can’t just “acquire” $40k of cash without the bank, law enforcement, IRS, etc asking questions.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

AcidCat posted:

I have to recognize your post because, it seems you put a bit of effort into it, but then you end on KARMA lol, sorry, yeah that's not real so you're as dumb as me at least, or worse.

Karma means cause and effect, i.e. you tend to reap what you sew. To disbelieve that is truly ignorant.

Sorry for calling you a sociopath and stuff in my post, that was rude & extreme of me, and as another goon stated here, rather passive aggressive.

Anyway I'd say if you want to be a better person you could start by trying to avoid posting condemnatory rants while drunk, but I'm guessing that would be too "good" a goal for you. Anyway, whatever.

(I prefer to make them while sober, haha).

Namaste.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
What people don't get is good people are just as bad as evil people because being a good person basically boils down to following the rules, and the world operates on some really hosed up rules.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

What people don't get is good people are just as bad as evil people because being a good person basically boils down to following the rules, and the world operates on some really hosed up rules.

There are many, many different sets of rules, and many good people have courageously broken bad rules. e.g. Martin Luther King.

And not all rules are bad, far from it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The love of Blesses Jesus

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

BigBadSteve posted:

There are many, many different sets of rules, and many good people have courageously broken bad rules. e.g. Martin Luther King.

And not all rules are bad, far from it.

Not all the rules, just the rules of nature that caused humans to evolve into such a poo poo show.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

Not all the rules, just the rules of nature that caused humans to evolve into such a poo poo show.

For your good and everyone else's, you need to post less.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The problem isn't with being good, it's being person. Dissolve your ego and join the great collective :gas:

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
here's the real dirt: I am a good person. THE good person in fact. everyone else is suspect to say the least

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah you're pretty good....
For a clown :D

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sophy Wackles posted:

Yeah but you can’t just “acquire” $40k of cash without the bank, law enforcement, IRS, etc asking questions.
that's why you keep it hidden away and slowly use it over time for groceries and stuff

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

that's why you keep it hidden away and slowly use it over time for groceries and stuff

sometimes I worry about the fact 80% of Americans wouldn't be able to launder $40k over a few years. it's basic plan-making with marginal self discipline, both way out of our citizens' wheelhouses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I honestly think that being a good person was much more acceptable before the Trump era. It's not so much that people became dicks, but that they felt it was permissible to be a dick in public. A large proportion of people who would have acted with restraint decided that it was no longer necessary, and as such, decided to run wild. I am hoping that a bit more civility will return to our society in the not-too-distant future.