Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

No. 6 posted:

So what about all those times he said the N word? Seriously, some of that wasn't just quoting his favorite rap song.

Kind of feels like people are just reaching for anything at this point to deplatform him? Don't we do this to everyone? Reach into the past and look for supporting evidence to claim, yes this is a Bad Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

interwhat posted:

Kind of feels like people are just reaching for anything at this point to deplatform him? Don't we do this to everyone? Reach into the past and look for supporting evidence to claim, yes this is a Bad Dude.

Actually I feel like many people with public platforms don't actually repeatedly use racial slurs over and over.
I'm not sure how they manage but they do.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

interwhat posted:

Yeah, so when do we care about this sort of thing? Why does he get a pass?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I feel like I can already predict what's gonna happen. He's gonna lean into his wrongthink, lose a gently caress load of viewership and fade into the abyss, and probably lose all credibility in the comedy world, but he'll still be rich most likely. Give it time goons, the train is already movin

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Are you going to comment about his usage of the N word and why it was not a problem?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not gonna expose myself any more to figure it out but it definitely seems like a bunch of those are times where he's quoting someone who is saying the N word, which, yeah not good, maybe don't do it bro, but at the same time, makes the argument weaker. like, the times where he's not directly quoting someone are bad enough, just use those clips.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

No. 6 posted:

Yeah, so when do we care about this sort of thing? Why does he get a pass?

He's not getting a pass, that's why you're reading about it. He's definitely not going to feel any consequences for saying what he says, save for I'm pretty sure Spotify will eventually make a move at some point. Please don't perceive me as defending the guy. He's at that level where we have seen so many people do so many horrible things, and really they just fade into oblivion without any real consequence. It's the natural order of the wealthy and privelaged in this country.

I dunno, it just seems silly to me to get all upset about it. Just stop giving him attention, he'll go away eventually.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You're correct that most of the times he uses the word it's in a direct quote. There are times it's not.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Also, yes people will always look at history. Maybe the point is to give them nothing to use against you.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

precision posted:

i'm not gonna expose myself any more to figure it out but it definitely seems like a bunch of those are times where he's quoting someone who is saying the N word, which, yeah not good, maybe don't do it bro, but at the same time, makes the argument weaker. like, the times where he's not directly quoting someone are bad enough, just use those clips.

yea, this. it's not okay to use the n-word. thats my stance. I no longer listen to joe rogan, thats his punishment for using the word, and the ONLY thing I can do about it.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

No. 6 posted:

Also, yes people will always look at history. Maybe the point is to give them nothing to use against you.

You're right.

Edit: but, who's to say what acceptable or unacceptable now, will or won't be 2-5 years from now. N-word is the most obvious example, but it wasn't ever ok for joe to use it, but hes just being called out for it now??? hmmm.

interwhat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 6, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

interwhat posted:

You're right.

Edit: but, who's to say what acceptable or unacceptable now, will or won't be 2-5 years from now. N-word is the most obvious example, but it wasn't ever ok for joe to use it, but hes just being called out for it now??? hmmm.

I can say definitively that no it wasn't ever ok for him to say it.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I bet at the time he thought he was being bold for saying the word, in quotes, with some strange justification like, it's diminishing to Richard Pryor because it was ok to name his albums with the word at the time. Whoopsie. Maybe people should be qualified to be on such a big platform in the first place? Maybe no one should ever have such a large platform of influence? Gonna think about it while drinking beer and learning new remodeling skills.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Big Beef City posted:

I can say definitively that no it wasn't ever ok for him to say it.

I meant to say it was a bad example. it is. I meant like, it was okay to use that word in your album titles, as a black person, at the time, but times changed, for the better. Joe rogan isn't the only person that says things controversial, and I bet there's a lot of long running writers, podcasters, musicians, etc etc, that look back on their work, and go ,"poo poo, I really hope no one reads or listens to my old poo poo". But im definitely not saying there needs to be a law of statutes of limitations on it or anything, holy gently caress. I'm saying culture is changing exponentially fast, and I dunno, just seems like the past doesn't represent the present in that way. anyway, drinking time now

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

interwhat posted:

You're right.

I think there are some easy ways to avoid this problem. We should not denigrate someone for how they were born.

I suspect the word 'bastard' to fall out of use soon as it's a term used to shame the children of unwed parents. This is bigoted thinking.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

No. 6 posted:

He's a piece of poo poo.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

No. 6 posted:

I think there are some easy ways to avoid this problem. We should not denigrate someone for how they were born.

I suspect the word 'bastard' to fall out of use soon as it's a term used to shame the children of unwed parents. This is bigoted thinking.

It already has begun, i think. Only one person I can think of lowered their brow when they found out my kid was born out of wedlock, I was shocked they even mentioned it. But, I do feel pressure to explain why my partner and I have different last names in regard to our son. The sooner marriage loses it's importance, the better. The whole idea of it is insane. With the right lawyer, either myself or my partner could absolutely clean eachothers clock, married or not.

This is a good example though, thanks

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
low browgan

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

interwhat posted:

I dunno, it just seems silly to me to get all upset about it. Just stop giving him attention, he'll go away eventually.
This is an excellent tactic that has worked well in the US against Far Right advocates.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

interwhat posted:

Alright goons I have a project I want to finish,
good luck with your project

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
well I hope Mr. Young will remember
A small lil man don't need him around anyhow

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That dumb guy I know; He must be dumb because of Joe Rogan. There is no other explanation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No. 6 posted:

He's a piece of poo poo.

I agree with op

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

interwhat posted:

Also, is he REALLY that big of a problem? Are people REALLY still that on the fence about the vax?
I guess I don't take it as seriously as GBS does.

interwhat posted:

" But aren't you worried about that heart condition or like all that stuff joe rogan talks about? "

So is he contributing to public doubt about the vaccine or not? You seem to believe nothing he says has ever affected anyone's decisions or perceptions, yet you bring up this example. I'm confused.

interwhat posted:

Alright goons I have a project I want to finish, stop being weird about Joe Rogan. He sucks. We're all in agreement

Also, you post a lot about him for someone who wants everyone to stop posting about him.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Shadow0 posted:

So is he contributing to public doubt about the vaccine or not? You seem to believe nothing he says has ever affected anyone's decisions or perceptions, yet you bring up this example. I'm confused.

the very next thing in his post is the person saying no, they don't care. you didn't include that part. like if i chop up your quote enough it says this

Shadow0 posted:

i cum in otters

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Joe Rogan's listener numbers were dropping, so they manufactured this whole thing to get the podcast in the news & get the conservative listeners to show up.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

No. 6 posted:

You're correct that most of the times he uses the word it's in a direct quote. There are times it's not.

couldnt really tell cause that video you linked was just a long string of bleeps.

find something more important to be upset about

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Actually I feel like many people with public platforms should not be allowed to have public platforms.

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
Joe Rogan is just a dumb dog. Of course he's gonna poo poo on the rug. Of course he's going to poo poo on the rug again.

That's what he does. You can beat him with the rolled up newspaper all you want. He's just gonna keep making GBS threads on the rug.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

interwhat posted:

I'd say giving even those two people that kind of credit is a bit of a stretch.

It's more than just them, plenty of blame to go around. But think of it this way: Since August 1 2021, when vaccines had been available to all people over 12 in every US state for at least 2 months, there have been over 280,000 US deaths from covid.

If Joe Rogan blathering about not getting vaccines is responsible for just 1% of 1% of those deaths, just 1 out of every 10000 was a Rogan podcast listener who decided not to get vaccinated... that means Joe Rogan has killed more people than Jeffrey Dahmer and the BTK Killer combined.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

MaliciousBiz posted:

Joe Rogan is just a dumb dog. Of course he's gonna poo poo on the rug. Of course he's going to poo poo on the rug again.

That's what he does. You can beat him with the rolled up newspaper all you want. He's just gonna keep making GBS threads on the rug.

I forget who it was but someone here described him as a sentient cloud of weed smoke who uncritically accepts whatever bullshit the person across the table is peddling that day.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Crespolini posted:

the very next thing in his post is the person saying no, they don't care. you didn't include that part. like if i chop up your quote enough it says this

There are two people in that conversation, and while the OP says they don't care, the other person brought up Joe Rogan as their first and immediate reaction to hearing that the OP had been vaccinated.

Edit: And the anti-vax movement was never about any actual evidence. It was always "Well, a lot of people seem to have some doubts - maybe there's something to this???" So any public figure who is anti-vax is inevitably lending some degree of credibility to the anti-vax movement even if they aren't somehow being the one single thing that convinces someone.

The quote about otters is true though.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 6, 2022

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bargearse posted:

...who uncritically accepts whatever bullshit the person across the table is peddling that day.

Funny how this only happens when the person on the other side of the table is a bloodthirsty rightwinger. Almost like Joe Rogan is already predisposed to that mentality due to his underdeveloped monkey brain.

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
The straight white man who isn't able to go outside?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I dunno, blame Joe Rogan if you want, millions more unvaccinated(I know, probably vaccinated people too) will die of Covid thanks to the politicisation of Covid and the vaccine, Trump from the very beginning, and there isn't poo poo you can do about it.

On the bright side though, a lot less people, and I'd like to think many goons would agree that that's probably good.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Rogan is a meathead conspiracy nut and literally always has been. I mean, he got famous because he constantly got high and talked about aliens, conspiracies and legalizing marijuana with all his stoner friends all the time. If anyone was eventually going to start getting paranoid about new vaccines and go for unproven alternative medicine it was obviously going to be him. Does this make him an idiot? Well yes, it does. He's a self proclaimed idiot and has said so many times. Since his podcast also became massively influential it's also completely fair to give him poo poo for spreading harmful info about stuff like that, even if it's what he believes.

But calling him racist? I don't see it. I see it even less when internet people post "proof" of him saying the N word when it's him saying the word as a quote in sentences. That's just fuckin dumb.

The dude basically always fellates his hundreds of black guests and comedian partners and I'm supposed to think he's a secret nazi? But I'm not American so maybe I'm just not picking up on this specific strain of American racism. Or maybe you guys talked about it already? I dunno, I don't really read threads except the last page so I usually miss a lot

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I mean he was once convinced bigfoot was real

Like for real

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah idiots, stop talking about Joe Rogan in the Joe Rogan thread, morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

interwhat posted:

I dunno, blame Joe Rogan if you want, millions more unvaccinated(I know, probably vaccinated people too) will die of Covid thanks to the politicisation of Covid and the vaccine, Trump from the very beginning, and there isn't poo poo you can do about it.

On the bright side though, a lot less people, and I'd like to think many goons would agree that that's probably good.

not just less people but most of them are boomers and golly gee do they need the boot