Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

codo27 posted:

I'll see a post from Sifu socials every now and then and realize I still haven't played it. Whats the general review of the game now that its been out a while?

It's a game that rewards timing while being unapologetic. I started on the Easy difficulty and it still kicked my rear end plenty of times, but Easy is less harsh on deaths so it makes for good training wheels. Once you get an understanding of the combat and attack patterns, you can control the pace of the fights with confidence.

My only gripe is that it wasn't longer, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

codo27 posted:

I'll see a post from Sifu socials every now and then and realize I still haven't played it. Whats the general review of the game now that its been out a while?

it's extremely good OP

one of the best games I played this year, just wish there was more of it
came here hoping to hear they had released some worthwhile DLC

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's way better than on release with the Mandarin dub and proper pronunciation of "sifu"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Checking in to say I love this game it's a must play if you enjoy action games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

codo27 posted:

Phenomenal action game, cannot recommend it enough.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finally picked it up today. God its really kicking my rear end. I really need to learn more about all the systems, particularly avoiding stuff. I got past the first level but at age 57 or something. Going to go back and try and get a good handle on things before I proceed. That first boss wasn't quite as I expected, leaping over things I thought he would be open to attacks but not so. My own attacks not cancelling basically anything he did.

You really die pretty fast. Didn't get in any real trouble until I got to the roof and died for the first time to a group there. I've been a bit guilty of just spamming the two attack buttons and trying to parry everything, I didn't use the focus bar at all either basically until the boss. I probably should make more use of the practice thing.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

codo27 posted:

Finally picked it up today. God its really kicking my rear end. I really need to learn more about all the systems, particularly avoiding stuff. I got past the first level but at age 57 or something. Going to go back and try and get a good handle on things before I proceed. That first boss wasn't quite as I expected, leaping over things I thought he would be open to attacks but not so. My own attacks not cancelling basically anything he did.

You really die pretty fast. Didn't get in any real trouble until I got to the roof and died for the first time to a group there. I've been a bit guilty of just spamming the two attack buttons and trying to parry everything, I didn't use the focus bar at all either basically until the boss. I probably should make more use of the practice thing.

Little things click and you start effortlessly whipping rear end through stuff but I’m not good enough and haven’t played the game in long enough that I can’t break it down really.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

codo27 posted:

Focus more on evading/blocking first. You can't kick the game's rear end 'till you get a feel for their movesets.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont know, man. Its bugging me so much, things dont work the way I think they should. I know I just need to learn the game's rules but there are so many annoying things, like dodging to someone's side and attacking and the attack not interrupting them and they still just turn and hit me. I'm trying to get through level 1 at a decent age before I begin the club but I always end up dying a bunch to the boss. And its my same old Achilles heel, its patience. I block or parry and instantly want to return fire instead of waiting for the whole sequence to complete. Patience wears thinner still when I go for a sweep and it has no effect while his cancels mine. I didn't expect this game to these sorts of gotchas.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I thought this looked crazy cool when I heard about it in the SoR4 thread. Now that it's on Switch I can finally play it. I just beat Subnautica (very good) but it's... sheer mystery and non-intuitive gameplay makes me craving something explicit and direct (I had initially wanted to play Tunic next, but hearing just how obtuse that can be has made me push it back for the time being).

This game is just move from one set-piece to the next right? I've never played a game like DMC or Bayonetta, the aesthetics never did much for me, but I love beat 'em ups and have heard this described as a 3D Beat 'em up. So what's it more like?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It is a great 3D beat-em-up but there is both progression within each run and long-term progression between runs as you purchase more moves. At the time of release the default difficulty was tougher than most 3D brawlers but there are more options now for lowering or increasing the difficulty. It requires good reflexes and focus on enemy placement and animations because the game is not generous with the timing and type of dodge/counter to perform. When you get good you really do feel the thrill of being an expert hand-to-hand fighter who can bob and weave and counter perfectly in a group of enemies like in your favourite martial arts movie.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lobok posted:

It is a great 3D beat-em-up but there is both progression within each run and long-term progression between runs as you purchase more moves. At the time of release the default difficulty was tougher than most 3D brawlers but there are more options now for lowering or increasing the difficulty. It requires good reflexes and focus on enemy placement and animations because the game is not generous with the timing and type of dodge/counter to perform. When you get good you really do feel the thrill of being an expert hand-to-hand fighter who can bob and weave and counter perfectly in a group of enemies like in your favourite martial arts movie.

That sounds so cool. I like the fact that there's permanent unlocks, true rogue games can be a bit much at times. I'm between this and Neon White, the latter being cheaper but this being something I've wanted for a long time.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Been a while since I've played it but does Master difficulty basically mean more sweeps?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sounds so cool. I like the fact that there's permanent unlocks, true rogue games can be a bit much at times. I'm between this and Neon White, the latter being cheaper but this being something I've wanted for a long time.

Yeah I'm not sure where in the rogue spectrum Sifu is. I suppose because there's no randomization it may fall outside that term and just simply be more of a classic arcade game but with long-term progression. In that sense it's more of a beat-em-up like the recent Streets of Rage 4 or TMNT game with permanent move and character unlocks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I got this and it's a delightful game. I don't know quite what I'm doing most of the time but it sure looks cool.

So just a few questions. The combos you unlock per run, stack up till eventually becoming "permanent" right? That is if I buy one in one run, then I only have to buy it 3 more times before it unlocks?

Or is it more like I buy it 3x in one run, and instead of needing it to buy it once more to unlock it permanently, I have to buy it again 3 more times plus the missing one?

Essentially, is it better to focus on getting one skill and one skill only over the matter of a run, or just get what you want as you slowly increase your permanent purchase counter?

2nd: The little shrines then let you get 9 different skills from more HP regain to reseting the death counter. Am I right in understanding those aren't permanent? Rather you can get them in every run as you like.

I beat the first boss last night at age 56 then died in the 2nd map. Today I tried the first boss again and got through at age 35 so I think that's progress!

I'm playing on normal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I got this and it's a delightful game. I don't know quite what I'm doing most of the time but it sure looks cool.

So just a few questions. The combos you unlock per run, stack up till eventually becoming "permanent" right? That is if I buy one in one run, then I only have to buy it 3 more times before it unlocks?

Or is it more like I buy it 3x in one run, and instead of needing it to buy it once more to unlock it permanently, I have to buy it again 3 more times plus the missing one?

Essentially, is it better to focus on getting one skill and one skill only over the matter of a run, or just get what you want as you slowly increase your permanent purchase counter?

2nd: The little shrines then let you get 9 different skills from more HP regain to reseting the death counter. Am I right in understanding those aren't permanent? Rather you can get them in every run as you like.

I beat the first boss last night at age 56 then died in the 2nd map. Today I tried the first boss again and got through at age 35 so I think that's progress!

I'm playing on normal.

Skills are unlocked permanently from buying it the required number of times, either from pouring XP into it during 1 run or buying it repeatedly across several runs. Though the second way is more expensive overall since you need to pay for the initial unlock in each run. I'd work on getting one move per run and use it a lot to commit it to memory, but don't worry about the moves that need 2 Focus bars until you can reliably increase the size of your Focus meter in a run using shrines.

The shrine upgrades are not permanent. They're tied to the risk & reward of playing each run. If you use shortcuts and avoid enemies you may have a better shot at staying alive but it will cost you score that could be used at the shrines and you may miss out on shrines overall.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool that's what I thought. I'll focus on one skill at a time then.

Managed to get to the 2nd phase of the 2nd boss as an old old lady. It didn't go well. But I'm figuring out his timing better. That time I also beat the poo poo out of everyone in his dojo, which I didn't do the first time.

So I'm at 35. I think I should get out of the first area under 30. So I'm going to work on that. I'm still missing one collectible there though. Which I find weird since I thought I had been thorough.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
It's worth noting that if you start a run from any level other than the first, you still retain any shrine bonuses you picked up from previous levels. These get overwritten when you finish a given level with a lower age than your previous best. This can help you optimize the order in which you select upgrades based on what age / score / xp you expect to have in later levels.
Once you've permanently unlocked every move from the skill tree it makes more sense to spend xp on focus bars during the first or second level. Focus moves in general are kind of a crutch, but if you're going for the plat you need to use all of them at least once.

Edit: as for collectibles, a few of them can't be obtained until you explore later levels. Detective board progress is saved instantly so you don't have to finish the level once you find it.

Austin S fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 22, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've got the first stage at 25. I figure it's worth it to take it down to 20 probably... I'm fairly confident I could do it too. The 2nd stage though I bum-rushed it and beat it at 75. Not being able to wipe my death counter really worked against me on this one. Still I felt good finally being able to beat it for the first time. I'm keeping the 1st stage at 25 for now, while I try to lower that counter on stage 2.

Edit: Decided to perfect Stage 1. I'm confident I can do it. I beat the key twins and it was only at the next set piece that I died and went to poo poo. Got some close calls earlier, but always was about to die in front of a statuette.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 28, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This is crazy (75 no damage run so spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-MUhN6kUw

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
There's an official release date for the Arena mode, March 28th. Some cool new outfits too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Sq7GJ22eQ

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ooh, that looks like a solid addition. Maybe I can stumble onto that last takedown I need for the ps4 platinum.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This game feels so loving good when all the stuff you've been slowly mastering over the course of the first playthrough all suddenly clicks into place around the same time.

Then you get to go back and effortlessly beat on people who started out as major roadblocks.

The difference between something like this and the DMC games is that mastery point actually feels very attainable here.

Actually it's kinda like Sekiro if I had to compare it to an action game.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 12, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Beat club at 27. I think that'll do for now.

Checked out Museum and holy poo poo, this might be the coolest level I've ever seen in a beat 'em up.

I loved actually seeing the different exhibits, that was really neat and I regret that in the hallway you can't actually read the text at least in my screen. The O-Ren Ishii homage is pretty dope too.

I have no idea how I'm going to beat this boss though. The Club Boss I figured out the pattern well enough, but this is just too much for me. I'm sure I"ll manage eventually but my first impression was not a good one. I can't imagine this is where I"m stopped but still...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I remember the Museum boss' 2nd phase being much easier than the first. I think my go-to strat for that fight was just keeping my distance as much as possible. She basically never stops attacking whether or not you're actually in range, so if you just stay away for a bit her final few attacks in her combo chain are slow enough that I could reliably dodge them then counterattack

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

I remember the Museum boss' 2nd phase being much easier than the first. I think my go-to strat for that fight was just keeping my distance as much as possible. She basically never stops attacking whether or not you're actually in range, so if you just stay away for a bit her final few attacks in her combo chain are slow enough that I could reliably dodge them then counterattack

Thanks for this. I did my 2nd attempt and this advice helped me get through her 1st phase. and once I figured out the timing to catch items I managed the 2nd phase just fine. Still I'm 63 so I'll have to redo the whole thing.

Love this game though. I think I've only got 4-6 runs in me a session though and then the concentration and timing wears me out. It's just incredible how intense it is. I think I may have to lower my life at club though. 27 is a bit higher than it should be. I think I should aim for sub-25.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Seeing how generous this game is with weapons I decided to go back to the Gardens and just do it all over again. I maxed Focus gain in the first stage and breezed through with zero deaths. I used all the short cuts in the Club and fought as little as I could, (except in the opening area) and got enough XP to get all the Weapon Damage + shrines and once again no deaths.

I'm finally at the museum. I've minimized the paths I have to take to get to shrines (2nd floor and 4th floor before transition), and I've got an idea for a staff I can grab. I'm still not great at that fight, but I think if I learn how to do beat phase 1 I can almost certainly do phase 2 with no deaths. The shrines here are to max weapon durability and then I'm going wild in the last areas.

Crazy how when I first got to the museum I thought that I was going to hit a wall.

I really think the focus gain on dodge is a must have. After that it depends on what you want to do but yeah. I see very little need to upgrade the bar itself, except to see other cool moves. Structure gain or just more structure would be a good idea too. I guess the more impact on parry is good too, but I don't parry all that well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know I can get out at 20 from the Museum, having beaten each cycle with no deaths at least once but never together. I accepted 21 and then got through the tower at 25. But what the gently caress Yang?!

Reached him at 30 cause I got a bit sloppy and he just tore me up and I had barely made a dent on him. I'm not even sure what to do. Should I take a weapon or not and if so what? He's pretty intense.

What I appreciate from this game is how every time I feel I've hit something impossible I'll eventually get it but still.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

One day till Arenas! drat I can't wait. Might do a new run just to brush up.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Anybody tried out arenas yet? Thoughts? I just picked this up a few weeks ago, guess that was lucky timing. Curious how the new stuff plays.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It's challenging but enjoyable, reminds me of the Arkham games with their combat challenge maps.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Decided to get back into this with the Arenas release and try a new playthrough in Master mode and holy poo poo this difficulty is for masochists. The first boss has been harder than the entire rest of the game combined on the lower difficulties, I've tried this guy 3 times now and have yet to beat him younger than age 60, and that's with using the new training mode to learn his moves in a "safe" environment.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

CharlestonJew posted:

Decided to get back into this with the Arenas release and try a new playthrough in Master mode and holy poo poo this difficulty is for masochists. The first boss has been harder than the entire rest of the game combined on the lower difficulties, I've tried this guy 3 times now and have yet to beat him younger than age 60, and that's with using the new training mode to learn his moves in a "safe" environment.

Yeah having not played since launch I tried arenas for a couple hours (love it!) and then thought I'd cool down with some story mode and went into Master.

Level difficulty felt great, I was a little out of focus from trying at the arena but got to the boss at 25 feeling good. lol. I barely got out of there alive. Just glad I beat him on my first go, even if I was 1 mistake away from the run ending.

idk if I'll replay the whole thing on master but tbh it felt great, like playing the game for the first time again

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

Was it the sweep? It's always the sweeps for me.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Tirranek posted:

it was the sweeps for me

he seemed to do the mid-kick whenever I thought I was anticipating a sweep too

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tirranek posted:

partly the sweeps and partly the camera in his first phase. The sweeps and mid kick both come out extremely fast so you've really got to be on point or he just annihilates your health bar. It feels like his arena was spaced out perfectly for his default difficulty, but they didn't really account for that with his increased aggression in master mode. I had a couple different situations where even if I dodged/parried a sequence correctly, it still pushed me back up against the wall enough to where the camera freaks out and I just can't see him anymore, then he'd destroy me with his next rush.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

picked this up via the steam release a couple days ago. quite cool! loving what my mind parses as a fresh take on sekiro. beat the first stage on disciple difficulty around age 32 the first time, got too old and died in the second stage, went back to the first stage and got through around 23 after a few tries. I don’t think I 100% understand the roguelike progression yet but I’ll get it and what I do understand seems neat enough.

I gather from reading the thread that the avoid mechanic is stronger than I assumed and I shouldn’t just be deflecting everything like sekiro. is a successful deflect effective against every attack that isn’t a throw, even low sweeps? - and how does that interact with the glowing limb attacks? can I deflect those too, do they inflict structure damage not only on block but also on deflect?

looking forward to playing more

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'm still not entirely sure on how the glowing attacks affect structure on deflect but I'd prefer avoiding those, because when you whiff deflect on those attacks it feels awful.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Parries work very much like Sekiro parries, in that they will still raise your structure gauge but even the strongest attacks can never break your structure if you parry correctly. Mess one up and you eat poo poo though

Your ideal defense is going to be a mix of learning which strings are best avoided or parried. Some enemies and bosses have very tricky high/low mixup combos designed to punish you for just mashing avoid, so learning to parry during those strings will take the guesswork out of dodging high or low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ideally you're only dodging the glowing attacks but that's easier said than done especially as you're just starting out. I treated it like God Hand for a bit with mostly dodging high/medium attacks but that will get you into trouble with mixup combos. It's better to learn parry timings and keep an eye out for the glowing attacks to dodge. You can parry them but they do a ton of structure damage.