Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

ok yeah now that I知 holding deflect and hitting down instead of spamming deflect and dodge I知 doing so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, it's cheaper to do it all in one run though since the initial unlock doesn't count towards the permanent unlock. So if you do it all in one run you need to pay the exp price 6 times, 7 times over two runs, 8 times over three etc.

Well that's good at least, glad that wasn't the case because it seemed real stupid.

mistermojo posted:

ok yeah now that I知 holding deflect and hitting down instead of spamming deflect and dodge I知 doing so much better

Yeah at its base what makes avoid so powerful is that since you're HOLDING block, if you miss the avoid you are still blocking. Two good outcomes.

I still go for parries by moving between attacking and defending at the right time, but I'm much more focused on avoid and it's helped a whole lot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Grem posted:

gently caress me what's the best way to best the big fat guys? They take decades away from me every time.

This is what I did with the second to last room on stage 1. This run is me after about 4 hours of play to show what you can learn in that amount of time, but I went ahead and timestamped it for ya for that one at least. The best way to deal with ANY enemy really is to kill the poo poo out of their structure meter as fast as possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7W2PzsHgI&t=636s

Avoid the grab if both of their arms flash. Dodge away from them, which you can do by just hitting R1 without any other input to make you backdash, and do running attacks or stuff like crotch punch. Skip back to 6 minutes on that video if you wanna see how I dealt with the first fat guy.

After playing even more after that run, here's some notes about defense for people having a problem with it:

It is not Sekiro timing as far as I can tell. Sekiro uses "Just Defense" timing if you are familiar with that from fighting games, where you press and hold the block input, and hopefully input that block late enough that the attack hits you as your guard is starting. From what I can tell, Sifu has separate Guard and Deflect inputs, such that holding guard is a different input than Deflect. I get much better success in my defense when I dedicate my defense to EITHER deflecting or dodging before the attack comes in. There isn't much point to guarding on its own because it's just giving up an opportunity, unless you are using it to set up something.

If you tap your block button, you will try to deflect and you'll get the deflect with good timing. Blocking will block at all attack heights, and so will deflecting, so if your timing is good, you can deflect that sweep instead of dodging it because there is no low or high deflect, there's just deflect. If you do it well, you'll get the good timing instead of a lovely guard that hurts your structure. Your structure should be used as basically attempts to parry, because you can get structure back very fast through dodging.

How do you dodge well? This is a huge departure from Sekiro. Do not attempt to dodge by tapping block and a direction at the same time. That's bad. Instead, you should think of it like a rhythm game in the style of Guitar Hero, where you are holding down a string prior to strumming it. In this case, you hold down guard as a way to set yourself in "defense mode", if you want to call it that, and I'm going to. This defense mode is stationary, but it gives you all the defensive options you need, and it makes dodging easier to accomplish by making it so you only have to hit one button. You hold down the button, and then flick the left stick up or down depending on if the attack is a low attack. If the attack is low, you need to hit up (to dodge), hit nothing (to just block it), or release that defense button and hit deflect with enough time. However, releasing that defense button takes time to switch modes back, even though it's only a little bit of time, so you're better off deciding a head of the attack whether you'll be dodging or what. If you are dodging, you can hold down the guard button and flick the left stick with good timing to fight someone who has a string of fast high attacks and just take it like a free opportunity to get your structure back while filling your focus or whatever it's called, so you can poke em in the eye.

Hope this helps some people.

In no way is this game a roguelike. After playing through it enough times to unlock all your moves, what you'll be left with is a full moveset and a game to master. None of the moves overlap, all of the moves have a specific purpose, and you should want to have all of them eventually.

Also, for people wanting a lock-on button, that would be detrimental in this game. Keep in mind that none of the moves in this game end on a backward input. Every single move in the game allows you to direct where it goes. Please pay attention to the fight and direct where your attacks go. Trust the game to pick the target you wanted. The game's targeting system, whatever is going on in the background, is really good. Just trust it, because lock-on = enforced tunnel vision, and this game requires you to have a lot of situational awareness. If you can't go back and forth between enemies, then you will have significantly more difficulty when managing the stun and downed states of multiple enemies. You need that if you want to maximize the efficiency of your rear end beating. In a 1v1, you'll find that there is already a kind of lock-on in place if you pay attention to it. In fights with multiple enemies, lock-on would be terrible.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 9, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
One thing that's helped me jump over low attacks is that guard+left and guard+right does the exact same thing as guard+down. That smaller distance traveled makes it easier to switch between the two, and it feels more ergonomic on my PS4 controller.

Lobok posted:

I'll do that combo that goes Heavy Heavy Light Heavy (it ends up doubling them over and you elbow them in the back of the head to put them down)

This is backbreaker, and I love it so much. It's way more stylish than most of the actual finisher moves.

https://i.imgur.com/qXjaZSk.mp4

Play posted:

Are you sure that isn't just if you're moving from one level to the next, which is basically counted as the same 'run'? Pretty sure I noticed that I got one down to 3x purchase unlock then when I started first level again it was at 5x purchaser unlock.

I started a fresh run on the first level and died to the first enemy to grab this screenshot:

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 9, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

signalnoise posted:

If you tap your block button, you will try to deflect and you'll get the deflect with good timing. Blocking will block at all attack heights, and so will deflecting, so if your timing is good, you can deflect that sweep instead of dodging it because there is no low or high deflect, there's just deflect. If you do it well, you'll get the good timing instead of a lovely guard that hurts your structure. Your structure should be used as basically attempts to parry, because you can get structure back very fast through dodging.

A little confusing because you use both parry and deflect here, they're the same thing right? One note: you CAN deflect as you go into holding guard and get ready for an avoid. Happens all the time with me, sometimes even on purpose.

Here's the nomenclature I think we should use though:

Guard/block (I prefer guard but whatever): holding the shoulder button to block all attacks.
Deflect: blocking at the right moment which damages an enemy's structure and opens them up further attacks
Avoid: holding the guard/block button and pushing either up, down or to the sides. Generally flashes white when done correctly on an enemy attack.
Dodge: Right trigger, actually moves the player character in a direction.

Then of course light and heavy attacks are pretty self-explanatory, as are focus attacks and ground punish attacks.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I started a fresh run on the first level and died to the first enemy to grab this screenshot:

Alrght, cool! Little confused why it didn't look that way to me but happy it is that way. Must've just looked at the wrong thing maybe. Or maybe I only did it once and thought that would do it, but the very first unlock doesn't count right?

Also, I think it's this way but want to make sure: restarting the first level won't lose me anything, correct? I already passed it in my 20s but I'd like to do better. It will only erase my other one if I do it younger right?

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Since it hasn't been addressed in this thread yet, you are not required to die to spend EXP. Upon activating a shrine, you can freely toggle between the Skill Tree screen and the Shrine Upgrade screen, even after selecting an upgrade, so long as you do not exit the Shrine Upgrade screen.
Additionally, after beating each boss you return to the Wuguan (training hall). The Skill Tree itself is directly opposite the desk/window where you engage the next hideout. Useful if you beat the boss with no coins/revives left as they award considerable EXP.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Play posted:

A little confusing because you use both parry and deflect here, they're the same thing right? One note: you CAN deflect as you go into holding guard and get ready for an avoid. Happens all the time with me, sometimes even on purpose.

Here's the nomenclature I think we should use though:

Guard/block (I prefer guard but whatever): holding the shoulder button to block all attacks.
Deflect: blocking at the right moment which damages an enemy's structure and opens them up further attacks
Avoid: holding the guard/block button and pushing either up, down or to the sides. Generally flashes white when done correctly on an enemy attack.
Dodge: Right trigger, actually moves the player character in a direction.

It's kind of confusing because the game itself uses multiple terms. Guard is to go into the stance, Deflect is to momentarily block, but if you time the Deflect right it acts as a Parry.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

It's kind of confusing because the game itself uses multiple terms. Guard is to go into the stance, Deflect is to momentarily block, but if you time the Deflect right it acts as a Parry.

Yeah that's dumb because what they are calling 'Deflect' is just a short Guard, nothing else. So there's no need for two terms there imo

Anyways not trying to get all anal about it, the biggest one I think is differentiating avoid and dodge, those two terms make sense to me because dodge calls to mind more movement while avoid matches well with what it actually is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I forget if it's from the game or not but I see so many people online use "sway" for Avoid but maybe that's just for specifically Avoiding left/right.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Has anyone found any must-have moves yet? So far, my favorite is invert throw. Being able to pop a guy in the face and then swap places with him is vital in a crowd.

Lobok posted:

I forget if it's from the game or not but I see so many people online use "sway" for Avoid but maybe that's just for specifically Avoiding left/right.

Left/right is the exact same thing as down. The game doesn't distinguish.

quote:

Also, I think it's this way but want to make sure: restarting the first level won't lose me anything, correct? I already passed it in my 20s but I'd like to do better. It will only erase my other one if I do it younger right?

Any time you restart you will lose all your moves that aren't permanently unlocked, but progress toward that permanent unlock won't be lost. So, say you have a move that you bought, then bought 2 toward the permanent. If you restart the level, you won't have the move anymore, but next time you buy the move you'll keep that 2 progress torward permanence.

The only way to lose fully permanently unlocked moves is to pick new game from the main menu.

I have no fuckin idea what happens to shrine bonuses I've mostly been replaying the first two stages grinding moves and trying to learn how poo poo works.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 9, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Left/right is the exact same thing as down. The game doesn't distinguish.

The game doesn't but I was wondering if players were making a distinction. It's definitely helped me that the game doesn't care because only needing Circle + Down (I remapped my controls) 90% of the time instead of needing the exact correct movement is far easier. I was playing it like Punch-Out when I first got the game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

Oh no you don't!!! Sway gtfo!!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Any time you restart you will lose all your moves that aren't permanently unlocked, but progress toward that permanent unlock won't be lost. So, say you have a move that you bought, then bought 2 toward the permanent. If you restart the level, you won't have the move anymore, but next time you buy the move you'll keep that 2 progress torward permanence.

The only way to lose fully permanently unlocked moves is to pick new game from the main menu.

I have no fuckin idea what happens to shrine bonuses I've mostly been replaying the first two stages grinding moves and trying to learn how poo poo works.

I just meant in terms of the age I beat it at. So if I go back to level one, do it again but this time do worse, I'll still be able to continue at the youngest age?

I'm, like, 99% sure that's how it is just wanted to make absolutely certain.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man the fist phase of the third boss is about 10 times harder than the second phase.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Has anyone found any must-have moves yet? So far, my favorite is invert throw. Being able to pop a guy in the face and then swap places with him is vital in a crowd.

Don't remember what it's called but that kick that's heavy heavy pause heavy is really good, even a lot of bosses will get knocked down if you hit them with it after dodging a string.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the biggest enemy in this game might be geometry. You get your back to a wall or couch or table and you're turbofucked.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

weekly font posted:

I think the biggest enemy in this game might be geometry. You get your back to a wall or couch or table and you're turbofucked.

Walls are nasty yeah but you can vault over most couches and tables with the interact button.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

weekly font posted:

Works both ways though. Use the Invert Dodge move and now they're the ones against the wall. Regular throw might work as well but I haven't tried to see if works to pull an enemy towards and then behind you.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Lobok posted:

Works both ways though. Use the Invert Dodge move and now they're the ones against the wall. Regular throw might work as well but I haven't tried to see if works to pull an enemy towards and then behind you.

You can absolutely throw an enemy behind you, as you can see here before I get a taste of my own petard.

https://i.imgur.com/9Hi4Cmu.mp4

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Well managed to beat the club stage. I'm a decrepit old man now though so I'm gonna have to do it again if I actually want to progress further.

Also the drop off from the 1st boss trophy to the 2nd is pretty dramatic.

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
I'm always shocked and then amused anytime I get thrown off a balcony. Most of the time it happens when I have a bad camera position and don't realize there's a broken rail until it's too late, but I find it pretty funny when you unexpectedly start falling 10 feet to your death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It would be cool to have a recovery for falling. Like a parkour roll.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It does seem a little unfair. I can survive falling ten feet and I'm not even a kung fu master

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
one of the moves is a running leg sweep which is pretty good, one shots the big bois in stage one and two half the time and because it's a running move you can just kinda do it whenever, assuming a bad guy doesn't slide-whistle across the stage to get their hit in

lot of little things bring this down, but it's still not bad.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

My most fitting death so far was when I was 70 fighting those twin kickboxers at the end of level 2, falling off a 1ft ledge and dying. Bones get brittle!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish you could just reset your best age or something. I hosed up doing the whole of level one and died twice so I didn't get to record new upgrades. I want to lock in focus bar and focus on parry/dodge because it makes difficult opponents much less like to get the jump and cost you.

Weapon durability is pretty good but I feel like the structure upgrade is also strong. Then again taking weapon durability early seems like a good get because I don't see myself being 20 something for this entire game.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Get the projectile grab. You just gotta remember you have it but it'll help with not getting hit by flying bottles and some specific boss moves.

The flat out best first unlock is the focus sweep. The second best probably is either the dodge when downed, maybe some of the other focus moves. Anything that knocks people down is a godsend in group fights.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

weekly font posted:

This is one of many places I disagree with fighting games not being part of it, or fighting game knowledge not being rewarded. This game was made for me. My favorite fighting game series, by a wide margin, is Soul Calibur. It's not obvious looking at SC without knowing the game, but there's a lot to remember about how the moves you're using will move the enemy you're fighting. For example, and I'll clarify that I mean "standing up from ducking" here because "while rising" and "while standing" have different meanings depending on what game you're familiar with, but if you do a horizontal with Talim while in the "standing back up" animation in Soul Calibur 2, you'll do a wide attack that knocks the enemy over and to your right. That is important to keep track of because if the wall or ledge is to your right, that's the move you use. There's also the idea of guarding or trying to parry/deflect instead of trying to avoid because you know one is riskier than other due to one of them covering more options. These are definitely fighting game understander synergies.

Having your back to a wall doesn't have to mean you're turbofucked, it just means you need to change what set of moves are relevant in your mind. For instance, you can take advantage of the situation by dodging toward them after a hit to swap positions, sure. On the other hand, if you can land a move that staggers the enemy and leaves them grabbable, you can instead throw them into the wall behind you, which damages them AND extends your combo. If doing so would make you vulnerable by putting you in the middle of a bunch of guys, then throw that guy into all the other guys.

Remember. You aren't trapped in there with them- They're trapped in there with you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fnox posted:

Get the projectile grab. You just gotta remember you have it but it'll help with not getting hit by flying bottles and some specific boss moves.

The flat out best first unlock is the focus sweep. The second best probably is either the dodge when downed, maybe some of the other focus moves. Anything that knocks people down is a godsend in group fights.

I've unlocked everything in the first tier plus weapon catch, downed counter and uhhhh something else in tier 2. My favourite unlock is the roundhouse combo because you can flatten three guys at once, but it also promotes hubris.

Also on the whole getting hosed by walls stuff the way to win is primarily be in a commanding position on your own terms. If you haven't let yourself get surrounded it's generally not a problem to slip away and start the fight again at a new spot, preferably one with a counter you can slide over to create space whenever you need it. This being said fighting three guys at once and not getting hit is pure gravy.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 10, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Play posted:

Yeah you're right. Deflect is what it calls it in-game. I'm actually not sure if how good you time it means anything, like if there is a better deflect for doing it perfectly.

I'm gonna go back through and beat the dogshit out of the first mission again because it makes me feel like a big man

I love this game

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

signalnoise posted:

I'm gonna go back through and beat the dogshit out of the first mission again because it makes me feel like a big man

I love this game

Yeah drat right. I could do that Oldboy hallway on repeat for hours :allears:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fnox posted:

Dodge when downed is native, I think? Attack while downed is the one you can unlock. Or maybe I'm totally wrong but I had downed dodging on the first level and don't remember unlocking it or anything.

JBP posted:

I wish you could just reset your best age or something. I hosed up doing the whole of level one and died twice so I didn't get to record new upgrades. I want to lock in focus bar and focus on parry/dodge because it makes difficult opponents much less like to get the jump and cost you.

Weapon durability is pretty good but I feel like the structure upgrade is also strong. Then again taking weapon durability early seems like a good get because I don't see myself being 20 something for this entire game.

Hmm that's a good point. Really it would be best to finish the first level young and WITHOUT taking the shortcut. Because you will have more XP and more opportunities to upgrade your structure/takedown health/etc.

And it would suck if you lock yourself in to a really young run where you kind of screwed up the upgrades. I guess luckily in your case you COULD push to do it right without dying at all.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

signalnoise posted:

Also, for people wanting a lock-on button, that would be detrimental in this game. Keep in mind that none of the moves in this game end on a backward input. Every single move in the game allows you to direct where it goes.

Not necessarily true! Fun fact: if you reverse the inputs for the sweep or palm strike then there痴 a unique animation where you値l do the sweep/palm strike behind you instead

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Finally beat the 2nd boss and I'm only 56! (with 5 death counts). I feel like after finally beating him I can do better now that intimidation isn't a factor. Got lucky on a failed attempt at one point with positioning and juggled him against a wall for like 8 seconds doing a ton of structure damage, so that could be a strat. Mostly, timing the avoids gets you 75% of the way there, then toss in a focus sweep every time you get a full bar, and eventually he goes down.

Towards the very end, he changes his patterns a third time, but it's pretty obvious what you gotta do at that point.

It's kinda funny, up until 3rd level I was always thinking "eh, some of these take-downs might be lethal, but mostly this is all PG-13 stuff". Then the game tosses in edged weapons and I realized, uh nope, I'm straight-up merc'ing dudes.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I cannot get the parry time down in this game worth my god drat life.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Operant posted:

I cannot get the parry time down in this game worth my god drat life.

avoiding is easier and if you miss it you'll still block, do that instead

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

After three bosses I've noticed the protagonist always kills the bosses with their own weapons. I wonder what will happen with Yang, maybe the stop hitting yourself of death.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Not necessarily true! Fun fact: if you reverse the inputs for the sweep or palm strike then there痴 a unique animation where you値l do the sweep/palm strike behind you instead

That's what I'm saying though. It's a change in the animation, but the moves are all facing-agnostic from the start of the animation. No matter where you are facing, the end of the command ends on "forward", such that it always redirects forward at the end of it. For guarding and dodging, those too are facing-agnostic. Because of this, you can focus more on your positioning, and less on your facing. You are essentially treated as a dot on the map, and your facing without input on the left stick is given to whichever enemy is closest, as far as I can tell. Beyond that though, you are essentially a dot that emits cones or lines of damage with various properties in the direction of your left stick. Keep in mind that "a backward input" for an attack is backward relative to the attack, so it would be attacking in the opposite direction of the input. In this game, you attack in the direction of the input on the left stick. In a sense, you could think of it like a kung-fu melee twin stick shooter that way.

Understanding that your facing is not a hindrance to you in any way is pretty important I'd say

Also the second powerup for Score specifically gives you a bonus on Avoid or Parry. I would really like to know if Parry is a specific Really Good Timed Deflect

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My understanding is that parry is when the opponent stops dead and you can counter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think parry is when you perfect block an attack, which does structure damage and stops the enemy's string.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
for the big grabby guys any stick or bat ruins them, for most you can just spam heavy attack as it's faster than their attacks and staggers them

a few people have mentioned focus sweep, what makes it so good? I usually eyepoke, heavy attack, then down up sweep. The eyepoke into sweep works reliably on everyone except bosses where it only works 80+% of the time, which is still great for 1 bar of focus. If you wait to use the eyepoke until after getting a few hits in turns this combo feels very strong

I also sweep a lot in group fights as it can hit multiple people and give you breathing room to focus on others, alternatively you can beat on the prone enemy because even if the others attack you they'll be high attacks and they'll miss cause you're bent over to give a beating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
parry also seems to cause some white particles to throw off from the point of parry