Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

finally got a chance to try this and beat the first stage at 31 first go

this game whips rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cool got through the club age 30 and died at the boss of the museum. All good though because I got the shortcut stuff and unlocked things. The bottom permanent unlocks are age gated to my surprise so now I have to go back and unlock them lol.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

a few people have mentioned focus sweep, what makes it so good? I usually eyepoke, heavy attack, then down up sweep. The eyepoke into sweep works reliably on everyone except bosses where it only works 80+% of the time, which is still great for 1 bar of focus. If you wait to use the eyepoke until after getting a few hits in turns this combo feels very strong

I also sweep a lot in group fights as it can hit multiple people and give you breathing room to focus on others, alternatively you can beat on the prone enemy because even if the others attack you they'll be high attacks and they'll miss cause you're bent over to give a beating

Focus sweep puts a guy on the ground before your iframes run out. It's one button to disarm a goon. Eye poke you can get swarmed while you try to follow up. Both are good depending on what you need at the time.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 10, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
some kind of survival mode challenge would be hella fun in this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Focus sweep puts a guy on the ground before your iframes run out. It's one button to disarm a goon. Eye poke you can get swarmed while you try to follow up. Both are good depending on what you need at the time.

Yeah I like sweep in a crowd and poke against bosses. Poke gives you scope to follow up with a heavy string into sweep/elbow/roundhouse and put them on the ground anyway.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

A lot of reviews made the game seem like a real slog to replay which feels brutal in a run based game, what are people's experience with replaying sections?

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

A lot of reviews made the game seem like a real slog to replay which feels brutal in a run based game, what are people's experience with replaying sections?

I'm not a fighting/beat 'em up genre aficionado, but I did beat 99% of Sekiro, so take whatever I say with a grain of whatever. Replaying a level before I beat the boss can feel a little sloggish, but mostly because I'm frustrated at not reading all the patterns yet and I'm playing impatiently. Replaying a level once I'm like 1 or more levels beyond it kinda feels nice because I'm a lot more comfortable with the systems and don't buttonmash as much, and I'm only there to try to optimize my playthrough by beating bosses at a younger age and with more thoughtful upgrade choices.

When you get surrounded but finally don't freak out and instead just focus on timing your blocks/avoids/parries, and get that holy-poo poo-I-am-Jackie-Chan feeling...game good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pladdicus posted:

I just love playing the game. Doing the levels again is fun. Some people get obsessed with "progress" or whatever. You're always unlocking sick Kung Fu and fighting bastards what else is there?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

JBP posted:

I just love playing the game. Doing the levels again is fun. Some people get obsessed with "progress" or whatever. You're always unlocking sick Kung Fu and fighting bastards what else is there?

This is also my opinion.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pladdicus posted:

gently caress

THAT

The reason I bought this game in the first place is because I read the review over at Polygon. That was the only information I had to go on whatsoever really. I had seen no hype about it, no ads, no explanation of the game other than that, and it only came up by happenstance. I saw that review and could tell that the stuff he was complaining about didn't make sense. So, I got it thinking it has to be good, and it actually turned out to be kind of a dream game for me. I haven't read any other reviews, but I can tell you multiple ways that I would say that review is like, as close to objectively wrong as you can be in a review. It's a completely misguided review that judges the game negatively for things that are actually good when you consider what kind of a game Sifu is, instead of what kind of a game Sifu is not- a roguelike, in any way.

Yet, when you have the review open in a browser and hover over your tab, it describes the game as a "martial arts roguelike". I don't know where that idea came from, because it's no more a roguelike than Streets of Rage 4 is a roguelike. It's no more a roguelike than River City Ransom is a roguelike. You go through the game and accrue currency to unlock your complete moveset, and in this game there happens to be a kind of skill floor on purchasing certain skills, as the ones closer to the youngest tier are generally more expensive. That actually does make sense when you consider that it's there as a training exercise for an action game that you should want to keep getting good at instead of for those skills and beating the game once to be the goal. I want to see how good I can get at this game. It's loving fun, and playing it better gives you noticeable feedback. It feels good to get better at, and it feels like there's a lot of getting better in it.

Anyway here's my PROGRESS about halfway through my 2nd day of playing, on the run where I unlocked my last permanent unlock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn3E1NNL2qI I haven't even seen the fourth level yet! That's like 40% of the game I haven't seen and I'm already enjoying running through old areas just to see how badass I can do it! I haven't felt this good about the idea of recording runs of a game since Mark of the Ninja.

Personally I feel like everything before all the skill unlocks are done is a tutorial to force you to become familiar with new moves one at a time after giving you enough of a basic set to get started. I didn't think it was tedious at all. Is there a place where it shows records like how many times you've played, how many times you've played a specific stage, etc?

edit: i realized those were the same video, so whatever i merged the idea. man that sucks that was a really good clip i wonder what happened to it oh well

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 10, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
People calling this game a roguelike is the truest demonstration yet that the word has lost all meaning entirely.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

People calling this game a roguelike is the truest demonstration yet that the word has lost all meaning entirely.

I think I know exactly where it comes from if it's from reviewers directly. They see unlockable skills built into some kind of currency and they immediately connect the representation to whatever similar representation they can manage. Here's it's "you know, like other games where you play a bunch to make your guy more powerful." Except, in this case, there's a limit to how much more powerful you get, and that limit is when your moveset is complete. In the Polygon review, games like Hades and Returnal were mentioned. Hades was mentioned both for the controls relative to Sifu for a kind of "sometimes I forgot which moves I bought" and for having potentially "too many" options. If you look at the moveset not as a complete moveset with addons, but instead as an incomplete moveset that you are completing, the way the moves work in terms of inputs also make more sense, and that applies to combat with weapons, too. But that reviewer wasn't thinking about this as a game to enjoy and play again and again, because then he would have been thinking "what do I do with exp after I've bought all the skills" instead of focusing so hard on what should be considered an introduction to the game.

I think we can be honest and say that the reason this game has been misunderstood is because the genre was dead and video game reviewers are often incapable of independent thought.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Went back and got level 2 beat at 33, which might be my best for a while. There are some gnarly bits in that level that can catch you off guard.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I wish the unlocks were permanent by default, I'm not sure what the point even is for having temporary unlocks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

fnox posted:

I wish the unlocks were permanent by default, I'm not sure what the point even is for having temporary unlocks.

I spent 8 long hours preparing for this

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
gently caress I fiiiiiinally got to the 3rd level in my mid 50s, the knives are so much fun, it was very cathartic carving through everything.
Makes me wish there was a way to take them back to the earlier levels.

So far the biggest problem I have is the kickboxers in stage 2 (and a lone one in stage 1). They absolutely kick my rear end and I really struggle to land hits on them aaaaaaand they even dodge the random bricks and furniture I kick at them which is some real bullshit.

Game rules but I sometimes feel like I'm going grey in real-time as I play it

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 10, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

fnox posted:

The metaprogression elements - and that's a much more accurate term than "roguelike" even if it has become horrendously conflated with it - don't bother me, personally, though I appreciate that won't be true for everyone.

I suspect the developers felt like they needed to include them to add an extra layer of player engagement and incentive to what is otherwise a very punishing beat 'em up game.

I'm sympathetic to that decision. The fact is, beat 'em ups are pretty drat dead as a mainstream release genre. The only recent exception was Streets of Rage 4, which was always going to have a significant boost in appeal by being the continuation of a well known and well loved retro franchise that nostalgia is ripe for. There's River City Girls and the upcoming RCG2 and TMNT game from WayForward, but again these are trading on existing franchise awareness and popularity.

That means releasing a new beat 'em up not based on an existing property has to be pretty daunting, and particularly if your design is to make a very punishing beat 'em up where death is a constant threat with a real impact to the player, there's no guarantee that players will have the appetite and desire to keep throwing themselves at it. By including these metaprogression elements, players can feel like they're progressing towards something, even when they fail, while they go through the required time to get familiar with the game's systems and mechanics and more or less git gud.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I keep finding ways that the game is even better than I realized. This time, it's about the combos, and why the game looks fluid as gently caress even if you're mashing.

Bottom line is here: Any combo can be started by either a light or a heavy attack.

Yes, I mean that as in, all of the combos in the combo list, as long as they're just a list of button presses with nothing special about them, this seems to work. This is important for two reasons. First, it matters more that you know how a combo ends than you remember the entire attack string, but also that you can get in a jab and still finish with a back breaker combo against a very slippery boss that dodges right after attacking. That kind of thing. The other reason this is important is because it means no matter what combo you're on, the button you're on can be the first button of a different combo. You can just flow right into that, and be one beat ahead of the situation. Also, because mashing won't get you any combo endings, but you're flowing back and forth between combos all the time anyway, you look cool as poo poo no matter what you do

Finally, the fact that this means the inclusion of the back breaker combo is actually important because it makes it a complete system is just :allears: for me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sometimes instead of getting the health bump for using a finisher I pop a roundhouse kick because you kick people so hard it looks like their head might come off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

signalnoise posted:

I keep finding ways that the game is even better than I realized. This time, it's about the combos, and why the game looks fluid as gently caress even if you're mashing.

Bottom line is here: Any combo can be started by either a light or a heavy attack.

Yes, I mean that as in, all of the combos in the combo list, as long as they're just a list of button presses with nothing special about them, this seems to work. This is important for two reasons. First, it matters more that you know how a combo ends than you remember the entire attack string, but also that you can get in a jab and still finish with a back breaker combo against a very slippery boss that dodges right after attacking. That kind of thing. The other reason this is important is because it means no matter what combo you're on, the button you're on can be the first button of a different combo. You can just flow right into that, and be one beat ahead of the situation. Also, because mashing won't get you any combo endings, but you're flowing back and forth between combos all the time anyway, you look cool as poo poo no matter what you do

Finally, the fact that this means the inclusion of the back breaker combo is actually important because it makes it a complete system is just :allears: for me

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean but last night I was doing Back Breakers (H H L H) by alternating H and L.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Im out of level 2 at 21 but gently caress me the level 3 boss just impossible for me to get through below 50. Also lol that the tower soft locks if you fight the guards in the lobby.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

Figuring out how to max out your combos and carry a multiplier so you can unlock the point rewards is really fun to me. The game knows you will take hits so the multiplier doesn’t reset on a blocked hit it will lower a level. So the level replay to fight a boss is not bad at all.

You can also skip most of the level with the shortcuts but for certain levels you also skip the upgrade shrines.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Im out of level 2 at 21 but gently caress me the level 3 boss just impossible for me to get through below 50. Also lol that the tower soft locks if you fight the guards in the lobby.

I think you can fight them if you get an elevator key at some point later on. But yeah, that was kind of a weird choice, I kept wondering if I was missing something.

fnox
May 19, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

Level 3 boss has a couple patterns you can avoid consistently. Her spinning attacks are either high, low, high, low or low, high, low, high, low, followed by a delayed high. You need to block the first one to see which one it is, then avoid the rest. The one where she rushes at you while spinning is all highs and you can avoid them all with the right timing. There's another pattern she uses at close range which is also all highs except for the very last hit. For the second part, it's all highs, dodge when her eye gleams before the rush, and if you have projectile grab, grab one of her kunais.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stage 3 is so pretty I’m loath to use the shortcuts

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Had a good run tonight.

Got my first deathless run of Stage 1 (full run, too) and then made it out of Stage 2 at 23 - irritatingly, a death to the staff disciple that I normally have no problem with and a death to the two disciples just before Sean, but I managed to no-death Sean as well.

Stage 3 was beautiful. God I love the mystical transformations at the end of the stages - Kumori's is spectacular. gently caress me her disciples wearing masks are absolutely brutal though, a good chunk of my deaths in that stage were them smashing my structure with one kick then killing me with the follow up before I could get my tired old reflexes moving. Got up to Kumori but she took me to high 60s before I forced her second (easier, I think) phase and then I choked inches away from closing out the fight. It wouldn't have done much good with my age so high but makes me confident it won't be long before I smash through that stage as well and at least I got the shortcut keys!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know I'm going to like this game but its just so much money right now right before Elden Ring.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lobok posted:

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean but last night I was doing Back Breakers (H H L H) by alternating H and L.

Yeah, basically what was happening was you were doing was

Input | Game thinks this
H | aight H
L | oh looks like you wanna use the L L L L L combo, that's ok you go on ahead
H | oh my bad you wanted to use H H L H
L | there you go
H | i get it eventually

Additional protips for fun people who have less time than me to find these things on their own

Sweep attacks hit people on the ground. This includes both the running sweep H attack and the back, forward H sweep. This means if you want to hit multiple people on the ground in front of you, you can. It does require some spacing on your part, but if you do it right you can get multiple sweep kicks in sometimes, which can be better than a circle down attack.

The environmental weaponry talent thing does more than just throw knives and bottles and other weapons you normally see. It also opens up the ability to kick ottomans along the floor, and a lot of things count as ottomans. Maybe there's other applications too. I dunno, I haven't beat chapter 3 yet.

The point of that move where you hold H and your arm hangs and then you slap them in the face is to get a counterhit with it after holding it for a while. It's great against the fat guys because they have ridiculously long windups that are super obvious cause of the light-up arms.

This last one could be sticky
You should be actively doing poo poo all the time and I mean all the time, to be maximally efficient. I don't mean that as like a general rule of thumb kind of thing, I mean that the way this game is designed, there is no reason not to be trying to be on the offensive at all times, and the game not only discourages purely defensive play, but it actually rewards you for spamming, as long as you don't reach too far and gently caress up. Bosses in particular are good to spam against, and this is why I found the previous note about being able to start H combos with L so important. If you hit something, the game pauses for a moment. If you hit something 5 times, the game pauses for 5 moments. This can be VERY USEFUL when timing your defense, which has like no startup time anyway. This also rewards you by getting in little bits of damage and taking advantage of the earliest possible stagger state you can get.

Now of course, to do this, you need to be able to not just fluidly swap between aggression and defense, but actually blend them. Good luck, fellow masters

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 10, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just locked in age 21 (got stuck on a wall ah well) on level 1 with a full run after having it at 22. Scored well so I bought myself 2 dodge/parry and some focus bar. Will have a go at getting through the club in sub 30 but I feel cursed to either choke when I get to Sean or get trolleyed by suddenly hyper aggressive kickboxers.

Had a couple of goes at the third level boss and pushed her to phase two but I've been messing up the timing on the first phase. It's nice that you can take the shortcut and get some practice before embarking on a longer run for shrines. It's also quote a bit more interesting in the design of shortcuts and I'm enjoying thinking about which paths might be optimal.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I don't like my current loadout does anyone know a way to wipe it without having to unlock everything again

All I want to do is reset the shrines

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

signalnoise posted:

I don't like my current loadout does anyone know a way to wipe it without having to unlock everything again

All I want to do is reset the shrines

I haven't been able to find a way that doesn't involve doing a single magnificent run or beating your previous one. I've probably done myself a favour competing level 1 at 21 as it affords me a respec. I'm pretty happy with more focus though it's a lifesaver.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
alright so here's two massive things that the game does not tell you and it took a very long time to figure out

1. every single attack in the game is avoidable with L1+ either up or down
2. the reset on the dodge is extremely fast and some attacks, especially on the chapter 3 boss, will expect you to be hammering the dodge button several times in a row

you can, in theory, stand dead still and beat those horrid dancers with their big kicky boots if you have a very, very fast reaction speed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wish you could learn some of the enemies' moves or at least a variation. Those two girls in the club behind the bar who can flip over the counter and come down with a fierce axe kick have me wondering why the player doesn't also get a Vault attack. That would be Jackie Chan as gently caress to dodge one person by going over a bench into a kick to someone else's face.

The fat guy bodyslam could totally work as a Focus attack.

Seems like a lot of normal enemies have that Superman punch that would be more satisfying than the running Light Attack we get.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Finally beat the last level by the skin of my teeth and I feel exhausted. I think I had one rez left, that last boss sure doesn't mess around.

Absolutely amazing game, though level two seems kind of at odds with the rest of the game. Unless I'm missing a big shortcut it doesn't feel as elegantly(?) designed as the others. Give me stage three all day though, I love that Neon Demon style vibe it has.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 10, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the back breaker combo looks cool but I've found it only works on basic noobs and the training dummy, everyone else just blocks the last hit

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

from how heavily it featured in the trailers and the demo, i guess level 2 was the first one they finished. this may be why it's a little rougher.

Oh and that Polygon review that signalnoise mentioned is total garbage. This game is in no way a roguelike or soulslike. It's just a very well made 3D brawler. For me at least, I found it tough but also not that hard. If I compare it to Streets of Rage 4, I had way more trouble with that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Reviews of this game are another argument for abolishing games journalism but at least it seems like the tide is going the opposite way.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

KonvexKonkav posted:

from how heavily it featured in the trailers and the demo, i guess level 2 was the first one they finished. this may be why it's a little rougher.

That makes a lot of sense. It just feels a little bloated compared to the others.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Tirranek posted:

Finally beat the last level by the skin of my teeth and I feel exhausted. I think I had one rez left, that last boss sure doesn't mess around.

Absolutely amazing game, though level two seems kind of at odds with the rest of the game. Unless I'm missing a big shortcut it doesn't feel as elegantly(?) designed as the others. Give me stage three all day though, I love that Neon Demon style vibe it has.

I think level 2 is that way because even with the shortcut you get 3 shrines. I haven't gotten past 4 yet so I don't know if that holds true for the rest of the game but:
level 1 shortcut has you skip 2 shrines
level 3 shortcut direct to boss has you skip 2 shrines or you can take the shortcut up the stairs to only skip 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
What am I doing wrong? I got the hacker key from the guy at the club but I still cannot access jinfeng's computer, it just tells me I need a password to get in.

Edit: I restarted the level and it worked that time. Level 4 just seems to be a bit buggy in general.

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 10, 2022