Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am going to die on the final boss when he has like two centimeters of stagger remaining and it's going to result in me trying to eat my controller like a haptic croissant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stage 3 is so pretty I’m loath to use the shortcuts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
made it through a no-death run of stage 1

i didn't know that the shrine upgrades from your best run carry over between stages, that should come in handy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Avoid just up and down or also to the sides? I keep getting enemies (like the kickboxer) who punch my chest and I get hit half of the time?

I'm losing multiple lives whenever a normal enemy gets enraged, they go back to full health, and now have a yellow aura around them. No matter what I do, avoid or parry, they seem to never break. outside of building up and cheesing focus what am I missing?

Game is amazing. But I don't know if I've ever played a game as astonishingly poorly explained. The opening credits are rad as hell and then... that's it.

The actual text about restarting, death counters, replaying, and move progression are actively misleading too

avoid is in all four directions. this is especially crucial in stage 2, because a lot of the enemies there have a combo that's just two punches followed by a guard-breaking straight that you can avoid to the left or right

the second-wind enemies are basically the demons from god hand. they usually appear in the same rooms, though in the events that one doesn't appear in that room there's a high chance of them instead appearing in the subsequent fight. they can be beaten down like anyone else, though they're a lot beefier and their combos are more complex

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
final boss spoilers appreciate how the first four bosses all have some kind of gimmick that gets more outlandish in their second phase, and then you reach yang, whose two phases are "i am going to kill you with kung fu" and "i am going to kill you with kung fu faster"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Still, went right back to do it all over again for the other ending. Turns out it's actually kind of hard to structure break bosses twice before they run out of health.

i just got the last of them and i think that the only really annoying one of the bunch is Sean, because he moves very fast, hits very hard, and his favorite combo opener (the shoulder check) staggers you so that you can't block the follow-ups. fajar phase 2 is a pushover - literally, the poor guy can't stay on his feet once you figure out his rhythm - kuroki phase 2 has exactly one melee combo and spends the rest of her fight playing keepaway, and jinfeng's so creaky and old that it's possible to get the option to spare her by accident

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

gently caress me. I thought I was getting good at this game, progresively lowering my age for each stage and reaching the last stage at age 54, but I cannot for the life of me make a single dent in Yang. I manage to get him like 1/4 of healthbar and forget about stagging, beacuse what little I can take off, it goes back down to nearly empty.

i made it to the last stage at age 36, didn't get a single death until yang, and his kung-fu hands gently massaged me all the way to 65. i don't think it's even possible to punch him down - you need to keep upping his stagger with parries (the relevant shrine bonus is huge here) with the occasional jab to keep his stagger bar from draining. in particular he has a sekiro-esque flurry combo that'll cause significant stagger damage if you parry most of the blows. and don't let him open up distance between the two of you for too long - it's tempting to hang back and take a breather every so often, but all his deadliest moves open up at mid-range, to say nothing of his stagger regen

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and that’s that. got the true ending at age 47

great game and a solid appetizer for the AAA releases in the next two weeks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
by far the most valuable skill i had in the end was the charged Triangle attack

the fact that it turns every dagger weapon into a one-time use one-hit kill was invaluable for bypassing big encounters on replays

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kuroki’s first phase is brutal but her second has extremely rigid patterns that you can practically avoid in your sleep. she only has one melee combo, a simple series of slashes ending in a drop kick that you can back-dodge. everything else is kunai tosses followed by either the guard-breaking rush strike (back dodge) or the zigzag rush strike (guard)

she can still squeak out a death or two if you mis-time your kunai catches but otherwise she might be the easiest boss besides Fajar

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cleared the Club with no deaths so if I can just squeak past Kuroki’s first phase without getting killed then the plat might actually be within reach

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

The under-25 achievement is now my white whale, the youngest I've killed the last boss is 30 but getting through phase two without multiple deaths feels impossible.

if you no-death every stage leading up to him you get three revives and I’m going to need every one of them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
platted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and as it turned out, i only needed one revive for the final boss. speccing into weapon durability/resilience turned out to be the right call

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
additional note: besides yang, the part of the game where i got my rear end kicked hardest was the aquarium duo in the Club. those two were mean

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished a start-to-end run with all spares and no shortcuts, ended at age 40. with that I think I’m done

really superb. I had high hopes but nothing’s scratched my “gotta do better” itch like that since Sekiro

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

What's a beginner's strategy for the 3rd boss? In most games when you die to the boss you can redo it right away and that helps with learning patterns and maybe experimenting but it's so brutal to have to go through the entire museum again to get another shot at her :(

the elevator key lets you skip directly to her for that reason

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

Good to know. Have to beat her first to keep the key.

no you don’t. it’s part of your detective board, so it’s preserved between game overs. I was certainly using it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

Hm, could have sworn keys for the club didn't work but I'm happy to be wrong.

the club is weird because there’s two separate card doors. the one you get in the club itself unlocks the shortcuts on the right side of the dance hall. the door on the left side is unlocked by the code you get from Sean’s acolyte on the museum’s third floor (the pink haired girl with the staff)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tpink posted:

I'm slowly getting better at this game (it somehow helped putting it down for a few days while I was away), and made my way past Boss 3 - yay.

For those who are farther along/done - any unlocked skills that you find really useful? I have environment mastery, the sweep, weapon catch, and weapon mastery unlocked and those all seem like must-haves. Anything else people recommend?

(I also have raining strikes, but for some reason just cannot seem to get the timing of that one even in training - it's just triangle, pause, triangle, but it seems super inconsistent so I feel like I must be missing something.)

I've also done a total 180 on this game since my first post and think it's just brilliant. Such a good feeling to go from barely clearing the first level to just stomping my way through it with no deaths.

Charged Backfist is good on its own, but if used with a dagger weapon then it instantly breaks the weapon and one-shots anyone it hits. anyone. if the target isn't a boss then their life bar is straight-up deleted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

signalnoise posted:

You can use charged backfist with a dagger just fine unless you charge it all the way. You don't have to charge it up all the way.

if my charged dagger attack doesn't end with my dagger nestled in somebody's gastric lining then it was a failed attack

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Almost to Kuroki in the museum, and it's my favorite level so far BUT I've been having a lot of trouble with the Kick ladies. Any tips?

most of their attacks can be ducked under, aside from the sweep. if you’re knocked off your feet, don’t get up - instead use the ground counter (buy it if you haven’t) on the axe kick follow up. they always bust it out immediately and the counter window is very generous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
thumbs up, first rate