Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Guardbreaks - are they all undodgeable?

The staff lady and the guy before her on level two both throw out a bunch of guardbreaks and I tried dodging them over and over again without success. I got up to the second level boss and once I got his pattern down I was able to dodge all of his attacks like 80% of the time, so I'm pretty sure I understand the dodge timing and direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

alright so here's two massive things that the game does not tell you and it took a very long time to figure out

1. every single attack in the game is avoidable with L1+ either up or down
2. the reset on the dodge is extremely fast and some attacks, especially on the chapter 3 boss, will expect you to be hammering the dodge button several times in a row

you can, in theory, stand dead still and beat those horrid dancers with their big kicky boots if you have a very, very fast reaction speed

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Artelier posted:

Okay, any tips on doing this? I'm replaying the first level over and over again because I keep doing too much damage. Fajar keeps dodging things instead of blocking and many of his moves don't seem to be parry-able?

A parry is anything that shows the light red circle where the attack connects, you can parry almost any attack in the game but on bosses a parry won't stop a combo, so you have to parry several times in a row.

This is an absolute 10/10 banger for me. Completely finished it, was truly awe-inspiring that just a few days ago I was getting rinsed by the first boss to basically walking through the entire game.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I actually thought the secret ending was going to be you have to replay the entire game again, at the age you were when you finished it the first time. After finishing it, it would have been so sick if that was the mechanic PLUS you also had to spare the enemies.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

You can rinse the artist phase one by getting good at parrying her first attack, which is always the tell for the rest of her combo. if she goes high, the next attack will be low, vice versa and same for side to side attacks.

Its not trivial though because if you scuff it you take tons of chip damage.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Caros posted:

On an unrelated note about the final boss Can you die on phase 3? It really feels like you can't, but I'm not sure if I just have his number or if it is impossible.

I don't think you can and it's good, because it wouldn't make narrative sense that you could fail the fight by dying

I'm trying to do a no-death run and I just keep getting rinsed by groups. I can no-death every boss except Yang but the group with the two big guys in the museum and the group with the big kickboxer + boot lady underground almost always kill me at least once.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Ending chat...

I think Yang is using the magic for good. In some way, you're the bad guy of the story because it's implied your father was hoarding the magic when it could be used to save and help people.

there's also the detail that in the post credits scene, one of the gold circles is faded, implying it's been used to save someone at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

No pendant one health point run let's

loving

Go