Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
This game rules. The first time I fought those skull guys they took ten years.

Catharsis
https://i.imgur.com/ldlr0kn.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Play posted:

Yeah I THINK I permanently unlocked the leg sweep focus mode.

It's kind of annoying because I"m hamstringing myself since I usually just go straight for one thing over and over to try and unlock it. You have to do it in the same run, if you go back to the same level you started without getting all 5 it'll go back to needing 5 to unlock.

This isn't true, if you buy say 3/5 of a permanent unlock, next game you have to buy the temporary unlock and then the other 2/5

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
One thing that's helped me jump over low attacks is that guard+left and guard+right does the exact same thing as guard+down. That smaller distance traveled makes it easier to switch between the two, and it feels more ergonomic on my PS4 controller.

Lobok posted:

I'll do that combo that goes Heavy Heavy Light Heavy (it ends up doubling them over and you elbow them in the back of the head to put them down)

This is backbreaker, and I love it so much. It's way more stylish than most of the actual finisher moves.

https://i.imgur.com/qXjaZSk.mp4

Play posted:

Are you sure that isn't just if you're moving from one level to the next, which is basically counted as the same 'run'? Pretty sure I noticed that I got one down to 3x purchase unlock then when I started first level again it was at 5x purchaser unlock.

I started a fresh run on the first level and died to the first enemy to grab this screenshot:

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 9, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Has anyone found any must-have moves yet? So far, my favorite is invert throw. Being able to pop a guy in the face and then swap places with him is vital in a crowd.

Lobok posted:

I forget if it's from the game or not but I see so many people online use "sway" for Avoid but maybe that's just for specifically Avoiding left/right.

Left/right is the exact same thing as down. The game doesn't distinguish.

quote:

Also, I think it's this way but want to make sure: restarting the first level won't lose me anything, correct? I already passed it in my 20s but I'd like to do better. It will only erase my other one if I do it younger right?

Any time you restart you will lose all your moves that aren't permanently unlocked, but progress toward that permanent unlock won't be lost. So, say you have a move that you bought, then bought 2 toward the permanent. If you restart the level, you won't have the move anymore, but next time you buy the move you'll keep that 2 progress torward permanence.

The only way to lose fully permanently unlocked moves is to pick new game from the main menu.

I have no fuckin idea what happens to shrine bonuses I've mostly been replaying the first two stages grinding moves and trying to learn how poo poo works.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 9, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Lobok posted:

Works both ways though. Use the Invert Dodge move and now they're the ones against the wall. Regular throw might work as well but I haven't tried to see if works to pull an enemy towards and then behind you.

You can absolutely throw an enemy behind you, as you can see here before I get a taste of my own petard.

https://i.imgur.com/9Hi4Cmu.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

a few people have mentioned focus sweep, what makes it so good? I usually eyepoke, heavy attack, then down up sweep. The eyepoke into sweep works reliably on everyone except bosses where it only works 80+% of the time, which is still great for 1 bar of focus. If you wait to use the eyepoke until after getting a few hits in turns this combo feels very strong

I also sweep a lot in group fights as it can hit multiple people and give you breathing room to focus on others, alternatively you can beat on the prone enemy because even if the others attack you they'll be high attacks and they'll miss cause you're bent over to give a beating

Focus sweep puts a guy on the ground before your iframes run out. It's one button to disarm a goon. Eye poke you can get swarmed while you try to follow up. Both are good depending on what you need at the time.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 10, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I keep thinking of this game as the spiritual successor to GODHAND and the reviews being the way they are all I need to validate me.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So far the biggest problem I have is the kickboxers in stage 2 (and a lone one in stage 1). They absolutely kick my rear end and I really struggle to land hits on them aaaaaaand they even dodge the random bricks and furniture I kick at them which is some real bullshit.

I am very fond of the ground-counter for when I gently caress up, and the throw for when I don't.

https://i.imgur.com/i41GBqq.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I really need more attacks that hit grounded targets, the two punch and the sweep get a little samey.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Lobok posted:

What, are you too honourable to throw a glass bottle at someone's head when they're trying to get up?

I... actually did stop using weapons. Not bottles though, that's a good one. I just wish I could axe kick them or something.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
If you hit an enemy while they are in the process of attacking, you will stun them momentarily and can throw them. This works really well with crotch punch, flowing claw, and duck strike because they all evade high attacks, or you can hook intercept or charged backfist to get a similar effect, or time a sweep really well to drop them.

https://i.imgur.com/hspRx87.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 11, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Has anyone found any attacks that flowing claw works really well against? It's so stylish but I can't get it to actually land very reliably.

signalnoise posted:

Would you like me to record a video of what I'm talking about?

Even if he doesn't, I wanna see more. Everyone show me your moves.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 11, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Lobok posted:

Do you mean the first swipe or the follow-up attacks? The follow-up Heavy kick is one of my favourite attacks. "Think I'm open? With my back turned? Wha-bam! Heel to the face to put you down."

Specifically getting the first claw swipe to hit. The follow up is great, but I find if it misses I tend to get nailed before the kick can go off.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

Here's a new progress vid

This is good stuff. I think the most important thing I learned is that the HUD is a distraction. I turned it off and I'm rockin so much more rear end.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Oxxidation posted:

avoid is in all four directions. this is especially crucial in stage 2, because a lot of the enemies there have a combo that's just two punches followed by a guard-breaking straight that you can avoid to the left or right

the second-wind enemies are basically the demons from god hand. they usually appear in the same rooms, though in the events that one doesn't appear in that room there's a high chance of them instead appearing in the subsequent fight. they can be beaten down like anyone else, though they're a lot beefier and their combos are more complex

Just to say this again, you can push the stick in four directions, but pushing left or right is exactly the same as pushing up. You're just mistiming the chest punches, they delay them slightly.

This game is very bad at explaining itself.

Edit: I've also noticed that I don't get any of the reviving guys since I stopped using finishers. Kind of lame, they should have them activate other ways.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 12, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
https://i.imgur.com/hMZ0Uc8.mp4

Second Boss: https://imgur.com/a/vXLYC3P

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 12, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

JBP posted:

This is entirely without honour.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Alright guys so since you're all having so much trouble on the simpliest enemies I thought I'd reveal to you the secrets of being a True Kung Fu Master and clowning on everyone you meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kfzx7GtLw
(don't do this)

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Lol. I've never noticed a red circle. Let me guess, it's not a huge effect. I'm red-green colorblind meaning that I can see really obvious red objects like the Sekiro danger sign but I'm having trouble seeing shades of red that are not as strong.

If it's like you described then that it's very poorly explained and telegraphed in-game. I love this game but in terms of accessibility and tutorials it could really use some improvement.

This is the red flash:

https://i.imgur.com/fkHPSZ1.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
So one thing I'm still trying to figure out is there seems to be some animations where canceling out to defend is iffy. The push is a good example. Whenever I push someone and an attack comes in, sometimes I can dodge or block and sometimes it feels like I should have but I get hit anyway. I'm wondering if it's the case where you require a parry or avoid, or just a parry, and a regular block doesn't work, or something. It just feels inconsistent. Anyone have this nailed down?

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 13, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Yeah the avoid directions are opposite of Godhand's and it hosed me up for a good chunk of time. It's worst in the third boss, I want to push down to dodge low and up to dodge high so bad on her combos.

I couldn't find a setting to swap it but you might be able to autohotkey swap it with lb. I haven't tried because I was afraid of introducing input lag.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Agnostalgia posted:

the secret to the third boss is to bring a weapon so you can parry her without taking chip damage, I can't tell her high and low attacks apart even when they're happening, let alone beforehand.

I always break it over her face about a third of the way into her health bar. I don't have any weapon upgrades bought because I never use them.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

PantsBandit posted:

It is extremely satisfying running back through the levels, throwing bricks at the sub-bosses as they try to deliver their opening quips.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

PantsBandit posted:

If he has a voice-line I haven't heard it. I always sprint towards the counter and slide over to feed him some knuckle sandwiches.

He has a voice line that adds to the detective board.

RichterIX posted:

I can't figure out the timing for avoids on the Artist at all. It's not the up-down nature of them, that I get, I apparently just get confused by the animation and can't figure out the point of contact where I should be dodging. It also is compounded by the fact that she starts her strings from far away and it can be hard to tell when exactly she's going to be in range, so I just stand there dodging air like a dope while she closes on me.

You can listen to hear exactly when they hit. Bring a stick and just block for a while and you'll get it

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 14, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The most frustrating thing about this game is there not being a restart level button on the death screen. Gotta go back to the hub every single time.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

For a good time, when you're in Club and that lady tells you how the fight is everything or whatever, slap her in the face and throw her off the bridge

Look at this stupid thief.

https://i.imgur.com/msd0FTW.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

lol you can do it just by holding triangle

My ways funnier

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I only just realized the room where you fight two of Sean's disciples just before Sean himself is the same room you go through earlier with the dance floor and I feel dumb about it.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Second thing I hate, after not having a restart level button on the death screen: the dumb slowdown. It's supposed to be helpful but it makes me mistime avoiding grabs constantly. I hope hard mode doesn't have it.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

I felt it out more and I'm pretty sure that if you're playing it the way they intend, with the "dumb slowdown", timing is much easier not only because it extends time, but also because it forces the combat into a timing where your buffer is accurately timed to parry or dodge. Embrace the slowdown, calm down, always be slowing time down, and put in exactly one input for your buffer. Slowing the time down seems to also open up the timing window to the point that parries/avoids are silly easy to do. The best example I can show for how it works is the first fat guy and when it shows you how to avoid grabs. That prompt has some kind of mega slowdown that helps you find the avoid input and use it, but the timing is actually still the same, it's just dilated from the time slow. You aren't simply mistiming it, you're getting flustered by it. Stop thinking about it as a timing issue and start thinking about it as a prediction issue.

I might have to make an actual video to explain this because explaining it as music without an audio/video example is seeming impossible

I usually gently caress up dodging the grab on the first fat guy because of the slowdown.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Caros posted:

Huh. So one thing that is worth noting regarding the earlier conversation about the structure break upgrade.

Apparently the taunt (number keys on the keyboard and right arrow on the controller) gives a big boost to your score multiplier.

The calbot focus move also just sets your multiplier to x5, it's real nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The other trick to the CEO is to watch and dodge her arm and not her weapon, because it doesn't have any noticable travel time at longer ranges.