Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the first zone has a shortcut where you can basically go from spawn directly to the drug lab in like 20 seconds flat, completely circumventing the upper floors.

I'm liking this quite a bit so far, though it does feel hard as balls. I don't think I've quite gotten my head around the various defenses yet, the game uses Parry/Deflect/Avoid seemingly interchangeably but without really explaining what those are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Play posted:

Tell me how that works, how do you unlock it.

I totally agree. I just feel like they didn't explain that well enough and I'm still confused at how they work a little. Like, you have to time your dodges while blocking and you can dodge low or high attacks. I get that. You can't hold dodges, right?

Is it better to try and parry the first attack of a combo then block the rest? Dodge the rest? Parry them all? I guess I just haven't gotten the timing quite right. I'm usually too late because I'm trying to do it right when the strike hits me so the timing must be different than that.

Perhaps a bit late, but basically: Play the level as normal until you beat the two tattooed guys that give you the keys. Once you have those unlocked, you can use this shortcut in any following runs: At the start, climb over the fence and beat the two guys as normal. Go into the building, but instead of climbing up the wall, turn left through the doorway, keep left, and unlock the glass double doors. Go through those, follow the alley, and after one more fight against three people you should reach the drug lab.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Is it just me or do you get 1 fewer shrine using this shortcut?

Could be? I only found one before the drug lab in the default route, and you also get one through the shortcut. But it's quite possible I missed one on the former.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

It kinda depends on the enemy and how quickly they will recover to start blocking you mid-combo but if I have the opportunity to go ham on one person at a time I'll do that combo that goes Heavy Heavy Light Heavy (it ends up doubling them over and you elbow them in the back of the head to put them down) and then I will beat them on the ground until they get up and if I have Focus I'll do one of those attacks to do damage and open them back up again. I haven't unlocked any of the Chase moves yet though so those would also be great for easily extending a combo.

Yeah, that's my go-to big damage combo as well. If I'm more pressed and have less time, I usually go for light-light-heavy. It's quick enough to let you finish it fairly often, and the final push kick usually pushes them so far that they're nearly guaranteed to slam into a wall or another enemy. I also like the unlockable heavy-heavy-pause-heavy roundhouse kick as a midpoint between the two, it's got solid damage, prones the enemy, and can hit additional targets as well.

Also gotta echo the earlier tip that avoiding (i.e. block + high/low) is basically kind defensively, much better than trying to parry most of the time. The timing is more generous, it doesn't cost any structure, mistiming it usually means you still block, and works against armed enemies much better. Leaning on that rather than parrying let me manage the first level at just 22 years, much better than my first attempt.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, the boss on level 2 is kind of obnoxious once he gets into his second phase. He's so insanely evasive that I only ever manage to get hits in when I do focus moves or he does one particular combo that he can't instantly jump out of.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 10, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Managed to get stage 2 down to age 25! Stage 3 is completely kicking my rear end though, specifically the boss. The timings of her attacks are so weird.

Also, is it just me or are the two "following" attacks kind of gimped/bugged? Their descriptions imply you can use them to close the distance after hitting them in a way that knocks them back, but in practice it looks like it's only a valid followup after a handful of very specific attacks. So far I've only managed to make it go off after the palm strike, but oddly enough not the push kick, and also not after the various bat attacks that knock people away.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

codo27 posted:

Oldboy reference?

Yeah, it even does the camera pan to over to all the downed guys behind you once you're done with it.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/495308924178661377/940678067037290516/sifu.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

signalnoise posted:

That's exactly it, there are specific moves that cause a "pushed" state. There are other moves that rely on a specific state too, like being able to direction grab someone, which relies on them being in a brief stunned state. The other move I know of that can cause the push state is the front kick at the end of LLH (which I'm calling a teep), which can be reached in multiple ways. For instance, because of the way the combo system works, you can severely gently caress someone up if they're against a wall by doing running L into palm strike into H.

Yeah that's the weird thing, before trying it I figured the LLH push kick would be a great setup for it, but I just cannot get it to trigger off of it. Don't know if I'm trying it too early, too late, or what else, but so far the only move I managed to get it to work with was the back-forwards-light palm push.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

acksplode posted:

I just learned enemies have friendly fire in the best possible way. Two guys come at me with weapons, I avoid through their attacks, one guy clocks the other with his baseball bat. I shouted at the TV in delight.

I will never ever get tired of it :allears:
https://i.imgur.com/RaMHNC7.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally managed to finish stage 3 at a reasonable age, 32. The stage itself is incredible, but I wasn't that much of a fan of the boss fight, at least the first phase. The reach on her attacks, the deceptive animations, and the ample chip damage just pushed me to wait out her attacks outside her reach, then get in some hits after her overhead strike. The second phase was cool though, nice and quick and dynamic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally managed to beat Yang, at a ripe old age of 69 (nice). Not sure if I quite liked the second stage of that fight. For one it's too drat dark, but he also does have a couple of moves that feel genuinely unfair, and the lack of focus moves makes the whole "you can only hurt enemies when the game decides to let you" aspect very apparent. Ended up having to work off my frustrations on the henchmen on the way:
https://i.imgur.com/PyadSDG.mp4

Still, went right back to do it all over again for the other ending. Turns out it's actually kind of hard to structure break bosses twice before they run out of health.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Medieval Medic posted:

gently caress me. I thought I was getting good at this game, progresively lowering my age for each stage and reaching the last stage at age 54, but I cannot for the life of me make a single dent in Yang. I manage to get him like 1/4 of healthbar and forget about stagging, beacuse what little I can take off, it goes back down to nearly empty.

Having just recently slammed my balls into the same wall, here are some aspects that helped me.

Phase 1:
- The general thrust of the fight is that you have to parry to get openings.
- Your best chance for that are his punch combos. Try to tap the block button in time with his attacks to fish for parries until you interrupt him, then hit him some.
- Another good opening is when he runs up and tries a sweep to your legs. He'll almost always do a little hop back and then run in, so it's decently telegraphed. Avoid that sweep and you'll usually get some hits in.
- Apart from that, you should usually try to parry rather than avoid, and only use avoids if your structure is about to fill up.
- When he does the attack that stuns you and turns your screen grey, your best bet is using dodge (right trigger) sideways to survive the followup attack, parries and avoids seem unreliable against it

Phase 2:
- This one is the real motherfucker, no doubt about it
- Same general idea as phase one, but now he's using way more heavy attacks that can't be parried and drain your structure like mad
- You can still try to parry his punching strings until you interrupt him, but the timing is a fair bit tighter
- A good opening to look out for is his three-hit combo: a heavy uppercut, a high strike, and then a heavy leg sweep. He likes to do this a lot from a middle distance, and if you manage to avoid the sweep you have an opening to counterattack
- Probably his most dangerous attack is when he sort of crouches down for a moment and then leaps at you with a flurry of heavy punches. If you try to block or parry it he'll instantly break your structure, and you can't dodge it since it tracks. The best way to survive it is to spam a lot of avoids for each individual strike of his. Basically just go ham on your stick. If you do manage it, you get a decent opening out of it.

In this fight more than most, I was quite happy to have the flurry attack (heavy-pause-heavy). That's a quick and reliable way to get in a solid bit of damage even on short openings

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

It is extremely satisfying running back through the levels, throwing bricks at the sub-bosses as they try to deliver their opening quips.

RIP to that one blonde woman in Sean's club who always eats an unexpected baseball bat to the back of the head the moment I get through the doors. :allears: