Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Perestroika posted:

Perhaps a bit late, but basically: Play the level as normal until you beat the two tattooed guys that give you the keys. Once you have those unlocked, you can use this shortcut in any following runs: At the start, climb over the fence and beat the two guys as normal. Go into the building, but instead of climbing up the wall, turn left through the doorway, keep left, and unlock the glass double doors. Go through those, follow the alley, and after one more fight against three people you should reach the drug lab.

Is it just me or do you get 1 fewer shrine using this shortcut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
also this game loving owns, god drat

I just beat the 2nd level boss on what I think was my 6th try, after going back to l1 to change my shrine build, it was cool as hell

would be good to get some rough info on the OP for prospective players on the continue/respawn mechanic, metaprogression, and that the moment to moment gameplay fucks hard

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
any else playing around with the photo mode?

show me what you got

here's a shot of mine minor lv3 environment art spoiler

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Perestroika posted:

Could be? I only found one before the drug lab in the default route, and you also get one through the shortcut. But it's quite possible I missed one on the former.

without the shortcut there's one after the fight on the roof after which our hero says "the warehouse, I'm close" or similar and another in the room with the two shirtless guys where you get to say "I'm just here for the workout" before clowning on them.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
for the big grabby guys any stick or bat ruins them, for most you can just spam heavy attack as it's faster than their attacks and staggers them

a few people have mentioned focus sweep, what makes it so good? I usually eyepoke, heavy attack, then down up sweep. The eyepoke into sweep works reliably on everyone except bosses where it only works 80+% of the time, which is still great for 1 bar of focus. If you wait to use the eyepoke until after getting a few hits in turns this combo feels very strong

I also sweep a lot in group fights as it can hit multiple people and give you breathing room to focus on others, alternatively you can beat on the prone enemy because even if the others attack you they'll be high attacks and they'll miss cause you're bent over to give a beating

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
parry also seems to cause some white particles to throw off from the point of parry

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

weekly font posted:

Ok I have the dumbest motherfucking question: HOW THE gently caress DO YOU STAND UP.

It was noticeable during fights where people could sweep you - I try to move the stick and just kind of sit there for a while. Then I start moving the stick AND mashing buttons and I roll in a random direction, occasionally throwing a limp dicked kick at someone. But during Artist2 it's extremely noticeable when I get taken down and sit there like a kindergartener during play time while she fills me with knives. Additionally, gently caress her whole fight I can't wait til some GDQ brain finds a way to clip her into rocks so you can pummel her for free cause I'm done with the first phase of her fight forever.

i think trigger dodge + direction rolls away and stands up, light or heavy do an attack, just moving the stick does nothing

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Play you don't have plat so I can't message you but I think the OP should have some more info for people on the fence, especially with how varied reviews for this have been.

I wrote all this poo poo but use as much or as little you like just pls update the OP with more info for people cheers

New player Q&A

Should I get this? Is it like the dev's previous game Absolver? Is it like Sekiro? Is it a rougelike?
This is a single player fighting game with an in-depth combo and fighting system that has discreet levels and difficult enemies that you will start off getting destroyed by and eventually clown on all day as you get better. Sekiro enjoyers tend to love it. Jury is out on how light a rougelite it is, there are some metaprogression elements and you will most likely play a level multiple times to try and get a clear with fewer deaths, as there is only so much time to die from start to finish. There are five levels and they're all amazing. The level design, environment art, animations, and music are phenomenal. People are going to be talking about this one for a while.

But what is Sifu about?
Revenge and mystery. Sifu is a martial arts brawler with tight combat and light mystical elements like the fact that you come back from the dead because of your cool amulet. Your enemies are well trained, aggressive, and have their own tricks up their sleeves. It's about overcoming your adversaries to deliver your just vengeance, and looking cool while doing so.

Okay but who am I in this, am I Sifu?
You're a martial arts master, you're a detective, you're an orphan with a dead dad and a mystical amulet that lets you rise from the dead at the cost of aging your body until you age out of life and get a game over. You have enemies to vanquish, you have mysteries to solve, and you're on the hunt. (Sifu means master, like martial arts master, you get it)

Show me an ingame screenshot that describes an element of the game's philosophy
That's not a question, but fine, here:

This game is kicking my rear end, what am I missing?
The game doesn't tell you this but things are a lot easier if you default to dodging attacks using what it calls "avoid". This is the left bumper plus down (or left and right) to dodge high attacks and left bumper plus up to dodge sweeps. Most attacks are high attacks.

That's all good but how do I defeat the huge grabby guys?
If you have a weapon heavy attacks destroy them. You can usually get a weapon. Otherwise avoiding their attacks and wearing them down works, or you can burn a focus move.
Or you know, just gently caress 'em up like this:

What's up with shrines and shortcuts? What's up with aging and replaying levels?
Levels have shrines, shrine bonuses are dependent on certain conditions, but shrines always offer the same things and are always in the same place in a level. Some shortcuts bypass shrines but get you to the boss faster. If you replay a level your shrines (at that point and beyond) are wiped when you start and you're essentially rebuilding your shrine bonuses from that point. Obviously, you want to finish a level as young as possible with as many shrines as possible - how you balance that is the strategy of Sifu, as balancing punching people in the face or kicking them in the face or stabbing them in the face is the tactics of Sifu.

Help, help! I've fallen down and can't get up!
Right trigger + left stick to roll out, or light attack to kick out. Don't just move the stick.

Does my permanent unlock progress, before unlocking, persist?
You have to buy the ability to use the skill each time but if you pay for one of the 5x portions of the perm unlock those count between runs, yep. You can always progress.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
I have beaten 3 of the bosses and there's not a single level I'm not keen as hell to go back and replay. I just love playing this game.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Avoid just up and down or also to the sides? I keep getting enemies (like the kickboxer) who punch my chest and I get hit half of the time?
The kickboxer charged punch can be avoided with lb+down just like the first two punches in that combo. The charged fist comes out later though, you may be avoiding too early, try to avoid at the last possible moment, not just tap avoid three times in a row.

quote:

I'm losing multiple lives whenever a normal enemy gets enraged, they go back to full health, and now have a yellow aura around them. No matter what I do, avoid or parry, they seem to never break. outside of building up and cheesing focus what am I missing?
You can reliably avoid them then light attack while they're still in the animation for the last move of their combo, but after it has missed you as you avoided it, this puts them into a light stun from which sweep always connects, so you can sweep, beat, repeat or sweep eyepoke, etc. If you do a heavy instead of light here they sometimes have already finished recovering from their animation when the heavy hits and may be able to block the sweep, so make sure it's a quick light after the avoid to put them in the more vulnerable state.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
As people have been saying, wow this final boss. Very cool, very cool gimmick. I am going to have to get much better at Kung Fu I have been coasting on dirty moves and he's having none of it.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

tpink posted:

I'm not great at these kinds of games but also not terrible (got through Sekiro and, well, most of Returnal), but this game is making me legit loving angry at vidjagames (lol). Maybe I just need to keep playing it until something clicks in my brain internally about the way it's supposed to be played, but after spending a couple of hours with it, I don't feel like I'm getting any better - and my farthest run has actually been my very first run so far, lol again.

THAT SAID I also find myself thinking about the game and coming back to it, so...maybe game good? Someone tell me that it does just take more practice to git gud, because I am really finding it a very frustrating experience so far. (And signalnoise, I'm going to read your effortpost and see if I can absorb some of that wisdom.)

Yeah every time I come back to this game after a break I do consistently better.

signalnoise is absolutely correct about being calm

getting good at holding lb and using up or down (or left/right) for avoids will get you a long way and is the thing that got the game clicking more for a lot of people in this thread

it's more reactive, but once you get it you'll have more breathing room in fights and mix agression back in until you find a flow

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

:lol:

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

The Moon Monster posted:

You have to break their structure in the second stage of the fight, wait for them to recover, break it again, and select the spare dialog. Getting good at parry is helpful (necessary?). I've seen a guide saying you need to do nothing but parry, but that's bogus. Sparing the other 4 bosses is way easier than even beating Yang, imo.

The lv5 boss is so loving hard, it rules! Beating him a second time is going to be rough though.

I agree with your notes. I had to parry a fair bit in Sean's second stage, certainly not exclusively, but for the other three I didn't have to parry more often than usual to break their structure twice.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

JBP posted:

Man the last boss. I'm being punished for relying on focus moves lmao

I went back and redid my shrine build entirely.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
i haven't noticed attacks going in time with the music

attacks get easier and easier to predict and time the more you play and watch the animations though

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Buschmaki posted:

I had been wondering what the point of palm strike was until it clicked that it'll just loving LAUNCH dudes backwards into walls and poo poo which does loads of structure damage.

yeah it rules, as people have said it's even better off ledges

Medieval Medic posted:

People are having difficulty with Artist fase 1? Once you get the hang of it, it is so easy. Her attacks cover so little distance that you can just hang back until she finishes any combo and then double tap forward + heavy strike to leap in and get a couple hits.

I just saw the end credits but if I ever give hard mode a go I will try this strat for sure

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

RichterIX posted:

The running sweep in particular seems to have weird tracking, it has carried me right past my intended target and whiffed several times (hello two guards at the very beginning of the museum)

You can't target the front guy until he finishes talking I think

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

PantsBandit posted:

Is there some trick to targeting a particular enemy? Mostly I attack the one closest but sometimes (particularly with sweeps) I end up swiping air bc she decided to target a different enemy who isn't close.

pushing left stick in the direction of the enemy works most of the time for me

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Long term I found the focus stuff a lot less useful than weapon and structure upgrades

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
the slowdown is kind of annoying yeah
I have died to it doing exactly 1 dodge at the point in an enemy animation I usually would (a second enemy coming at me from behind) and then the slowdown has ended with me mid dodge and they've sped up and landed their killing blow

I 100% dodge that attack by doding at that point in their animation without the slowdown

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
despite this I am still playing this game after two playthroughs and (endgame spoilers) getting both endings

this game is so loving good

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Caesar Saladin posted:

I feel like I am physically unable to defeat this last boss, it is just completely beyond my capabilities. The second phase just destroys me nonstop and I can barely get even a hit in, the windows to actually hit him are so small that by the time I've realised its happening he's already moved on to another attack.

I felt like this for two sessions then started to get better, eventually beat him by the skin of my teeth.

On the second run getting to him again he was a roadblock, but getting better this time everything came together and I found beating him much more in my control this time.

I mean Sean felt like this the first session or two against him, and now I'm upset if he hits me.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Goodguy3 posted:

I almost managed my first non-stop, fresh file playthrough both kill all bosses then spare them but then at the very last part of the final boss I hosed up the button prompt and killed him instead of hitting spare :negative:

Hey guess what I did this on every single boss except the CEO on my (big spoiler)spare run

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Narcissus1916 posted:

THANK YOU to whoever said that the stage 2 enemies that throw an orange strong punch at my chest are actually going slower than it looks - wiped my way through Stage 2 with that change.

you're very welcome and that's awesome!
stage 3 is my absolute fav, glhf

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Caros posted:

Or just keep beating your face against it. Best advice I have there is figure out which attacks you are best at dodging. Dodge those, block the rest and you can whittle his structure while maintaining your own.
This is a very good strategy imo.

quote:

On an unrelated note about the final boss Can you die on phase 3? It really feels like you can't, but I'm not sure if I just have his number or if it is impossible.
Yeah, like you I'm pretty sure you can't

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Lobok posted:

Can't you press the Pickup Weapon button to drop it instead of having someone trip you? Or is there something else in that tactic I'm missing?

Wait can you? I thought you had to pick up another weapon or get sweeped or pushed.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
agree with the above shrine build takes

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

codo27 posted:

I'll see a post from Sifu socials every now and then and realize I still haven't played it. Whats the general review of the game now that its been out a while?

it's extremely good OP

one of the best games I played this year, just wish there was more of it
came here hoping to hear they had released some worthwhile DLC

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

CharlestonJew posted:

Decided to get back into this with the Arenas release and try a new playthrough in Master mode and holy poo poo this difficulty is for masochists. The first boss has been harder than the entire rest of the game combined on the lower difficulties, I've tried this guy 3 times now and have yet to beat him younger than age 60, and that's with using the new training mode to learn his moves in a "safe" environment.

Yeah having not played since launch I tried arenas for a couple hours (love it!) and then thought I'd cool down with some story mode and went into Master.

Level difficulty felt great, I was a little out of focus from trying at the arena but got to the boss at 25 feeling good. lol. I barely got out of there alive. Just glad I beat him on my first go, even if I was 1 mistake away from the run ending.

idk if I'll replay the whole thing on master but tbh it felt great, like playing the game for the first time again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Tirranek posted:

Was it the sweep? It's always the sweeps for me.

it was the sweeps for me

he seemed to do the mid-kick whenever I thought I was anticipating a sweep too