Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

signalnoise posted:

Also, for people wanting a lock-on button, that would be detrimental in this game. Keep in mind that none of the moves in this game end on a backward input. Every single move in the game allows you to direct where it goes.

Not necessarily true! Fun fact: if you reverse the inputs for the sweep or palm strike then there’s a unique animation where you’ll do the sweep/palm strike behind you instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the back breaker combo looks cool but I've found it only works on basic noobs and the training dummy, everyone else just blocks the last hit

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
One thing about this game that I love is that despite how much I've played it to death in my binge sessions, every time I watch someone else play it they use some move or technique I didn't even know you could do and think "oh that's rad I'm gonna do that from now on too"

I've accepted the fact that I'm never getting a sequel to God Hand but this game will do

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Artelier posted:

Any tips for what I assume is the last boss? Specifically I am having trouble with his phase 2 dashing triple attack, "Bet you Sifu never taught you this!" I can dodge the first hit reliably, but the second one definitely gets me and I'm not sure if it's because it's undodgeable, it's a low, or I'm just not timing it right. I've so far decided to dodge first hit, block second hit, except it does MASSIVE structure damage which makes the rest of the fight hard.

My current plan is to basically just stay in Yang's face so that he's not using that move so often, but he's still backdashing very quickly and using it every now and then.

it's more like 4 hits, if that helps your timing better

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hel posted:

Ok I'm pretty sure my game is bugged then, because normal non-glowing attacks are damaging me through blocks pretty regularly. Even when my structure bar is empty. Gonna have to very files and see if it helps.

some attacks do a bit of chip damage when blocking, really noticeable with enemies with bladed weapons

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Once you replay levels you'll get a feel for which shrine upgrade will be more useful for the fights coming ahead. Only real recommendation I have is prioritize the higher cost score-based upgrades from the shrines over everything else, since at future shrines there's no guarantee that you'll have a high enough score to get any upgrades from there. Save the age-based upgrades for early shrines where you don't have a high enough score to grab anything better, tho more structure is never a bad choice.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I handle low attacks in this game the same way I handle low attacks in Tekken

Get hit by every single one of them just brute force my way to victory

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Medieval Medic posted:

People are having difficulty with Artist fase 1? Once you get the hang of it, it is so easy. Her attacks cover so little distance that you can just hang back until she finishes any combo and then double tap forward + heavy strike to leap in and get a couple hits.

by itself this is the strategy, but sometimes you run out of space to fall back to, she corners you, and you die. Running away doesn't always work at that point either cuz some of her moves give her magic invisible rollerskates and she'll slide across the arena to slice you up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuqEI5hAL8&t=113s

1:50 of this video. He hits the guy from the left and knocks him down with the bat. It's not a sweep or a heavy bat attack.

It's the attack you get when you hold down heavy with the bat. Might need to unlock the backhand strike before you can do it though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Carmant posted:

The last boss is going to give me a stroke. How the gently caress does anyone do this.

The way I approach that fight:

First phase just be as aggressive as you can, just keep attacking him even if he dodges or blocks. When he does dodge your stuff he'll always do a counterattack. These counterattacks are way easier to dodge than his normal combos, you can just spam dodge on most of them, and give you a massive amount of slowdown if you dodge the final strike on each one, which lets you get some hits off. If he jumps back instead of counterattacking then 90% of the time he'll do the slide which you can high dodge

Second phase is much the same, except take some time to reposition if you're too close to the wall cuz he WILL gently caress you up and the camera will poo poo itself. This time when he jumps back he'll usually do his 4-hit weird attack where he flies at you. Devastating if it hits but get the timing down for the dodges and that's another free combo. If he does what looks like a charging animation for the backhand strike he'll read your button inputs and attack as soon as you push an attack button, so either keep your distance or attack and immediately hit block for a free parry

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Stage 4 is the weakest of them all. Music still slaps tho

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Xand_Man posted:

In the Club is there a point to the path that takes you up to the tech guy or is it just an extra challenge

Once you reach stage 4 and interact with the boss' computer, you can go back and talk to the tech guy about it. He'll give you a USB key you can use to hack into the computer and unlock it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The trick behind the CEO is that the 3rd hit of all her strings is a sweep

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FAT BATMAN posted:

Finally got to a final boss!

Question: if I try to perfect parry the first attack of a string, mess up and have it come out late and get hit, does that mean none of the rest of my parries are going to come out? Or should I keep trying to parry the rest of the chain?

I may be wrong on this but so long as the attack you get hit by doesn't trigger the "stun" effect, (blurry screen, your guy holds still for a while) then you should be able to parry/dodge the rest of the string

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm hype for arenas. Probably won't mess around with the modifiers they have listed tho, none of them sound particularly fun

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
There's an official release date for the Arena mode, March 28th. Some cool new outfits too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Sq7GJ22eQ

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I remember the Museum boss' 2nd phase being much easier than the first. I think my go-to strat for that fight was just keeping my distance as much as possible. She basically never stops attacking whether or not you're actually in range, so if you just stay away for a bit her final few attacks in her combo chain are slow enough that I could reliably dodge them then counterattack

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Decided to get back into this with the Arenas release and try a new playthrough in Master mode and holy poo poo this difficulty is for masochists. The first boss has been harder than the entire rest of the game combined on the lower difficulties, I've tried this guy 3 times now and have yet to beat him younger than age 60, and that's with using the new training mode to learn his moves in a "safe" environment.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tirranek posted:

Was it the sweep? It's always the sweeps for me.

partly the sweeps and partly the camera in his first phase. The sweeps and mid kick both come out extremely fast so you've really got to be on point or he just annihilates your health bar. It feels like his arena was spaced out perfectly for his default difficulty, but they didn't really account for that with his increased aggression in master mode. I had a couple different situations where even if I dodged/parried a sequence correctly, it still pushed me back up against the wall enough to where the camera freaks out and I just can't see him anymore, then he'd destroy me with his next rush.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Parries work very much like Sekiro parries, in that they will still raise your structure gauge but even the strongest attacks can never break your structure if you parry correctly. Mess one up and you eat poo poo though

Your ideal defense is going to be a mix of learning which strings are best avoided or parried. Some enemies and bosses have very tricky high/low mixup combos designed to punish you for just mashing avoid, so learning to parry during those strings will take the guesswork out of dodging high or low

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah I just stay away from him and wait for him to use one of his lunging attacks since they're much slower than his up close stuff. Every time I've tried staying close to him he just whoops my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So fight him a bit like you would the Museum boss? Keep a distance and then close in?

that's how I do it at least. when you stay away in 1st phase typically he'll just do either a front kick into a combo or the slide kick, and both of those should give you enough time to react, dodge accordingly, and attack. 2nd phase is much the same but he'll sometimes throw in that flurry combo, which you can also reliably dodge once you get the timing down.