Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
I'm not great at these kinds of games but also not terrible (got through Sekiro and, well, most of Returnal), but this game is making me legit loving angry at vidjagames (lol). Maybe I just need to keep playing it until something clicks in my brain internally about the way it's supposed to be played, but after spending a couple of hours with it, I don't feel like I'm getting any better - and my farthest run has actually been my very first run so far, lol again.

THAT SAID I also find myself thinking about the game and coming back to it, so...maybe game good? Someone tell me that it does just take more practice to git gud, because I am really finding it a very frustrating experience so far. (And signalnoise, I'm going to read your effortpost and see if I can absorb some of that wisdom.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Ok, thanks to whoever had the tip in the first few pages of just holding down L1 and doing left/right for most blocks. I was trying to parry way too much, and this approach makes it much easier - got through the first level without any problems.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

PantsBandit posted:

The hallway portion in the Museum where you end right on the RAGE visual is so visually enthralling.

I really love this game a lot. It doesn't feel like quite anything I've played before. Closest comparison is probably Sekiro but the experience feels like a confident off-shoot of that with its own personality and mechanics. Really got to give it to the devs for aiming for something new and cool and nailing it.

I was really bitching about this game just a couple of days ago, but it’s really starting to click now. Made it out of level 1 at age 21. Finished level 2 with something like 32, but now feel like I got the boss down and am confident I can bring it back down. The L1 dodge tip was a game changer. I haven’t even really started to try partying yet (though I’m sure I will need to learn that too). It was also really helpful to watch chunks of that long 4-hour video someone posted, just to see examples of crowd control, etc. This thread has been super helpful in making the game better for me, so much appreciated.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

signalnoise posted:

So here goes. First off, the music in this game is actually giving you combat information. The music is done like Lumines, where it's a basic backing that has stuff layered on top. In this game, those layers are additional tracks that run when you are in combat. Each enemy attack pattern adds a new track to the song. I know, that's not helpful in combat by itself, but it becomes useful.

Second, enemy attacks have consistent timing according to the music. What I mean by that is each hit in a given attack string will land at the same time within a measure. It might be that out of 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and the enemy's attack for the string they are using lands on the 2, 3, 4. It might change if you dodge something, who knows, but that particular attack will always land on the 2, 3, 4. That enemy will not vary the timing on when that particular move starts or lands. They can have multiple attacks of course, but with that you can start to think about the track you're listening to that corresponds to that enemy, match up an instrument within the track that corresponds to the hits, and predict the parry timing blindfolded.

Hadn’t picked up on that and seems super neat - will focus on listening to the attack rhythms next time.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
I'm slowly getting better at this game (it somehow helped putting it down for a few days while I was away), and made my way past Boss 3 - yay.

For those who are farther along/done - any unlocked skills that you find really useful? I have environment mastery, the sweep, weapon catch, and weapon mastery unlocked and those all seem like must-haves. Anything else people recommend?

(I also have raining strikes, but for some reason just cannot seem to get the timing of that one even in training - it's just triangle, pause, triangle, but it seems super inconsistent so I feel like I must be missing something.)

I've also done a total 180 on this game since my first post and think it's just brilliant. Such a good feeling to go from barely clearing the first level to just stomping my way through it with no deaths.