Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

weekly font posted:

There has never been a game more desperately in need of a Souls-esque R3 to lock on button.

Holy poo poo this. I don't like how much kung fu I'm wasting on thin air because the game can't figure out which of the downed opponents I want to hold :(

KonvexKonkav posted:

exactly! the right trigger dodge seems to be mostly for repositioning. avoids decrease your structure and give you the opportunity for a counter. BTW, the game doesn't tell you this directly, but you can avoid almost every attack by blocking and hitting the stick down or left or right, it seems to count like a down avoid either way. the only attacks that must be avoided by pressing up are sweeps.

Yeah after figuring this out I got the first level down to 1 death. What you're really supposed to do is hold down L1 and avoid most attacks by pressing down, up if you see them coming, and tap if you're sure you have the timing down.

You can avoid attacks coming from behind you too, and since the game apparently doesn't have the concept of a mid you're going to be able to dodge just about everything that comes at you except for the specific low attacks like grabs and sweeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Get the projectile grab. You just gotta remember you have it but it'll help with not getting hit by flying bottles and some specific boss moves.

The flat out best first unlock is the focus sweep. The second best probably is either the dodge when downed, maybe some of the other focus moves. Anything that knocks people down is a godsend in group fights.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I wish the unlocks were permanent by default, I'm not sure what the point even is for having temporary unlocks.

fnox
May 19, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

Im out of level 2 at 21 but gently caress me the level 3 boss just impossible for me to get through below 50. Also lol that the tower soft locks if you fight the guards in the lobby.

Level 3 boss has a couple patterns you can avoid consistently. Her spinning attacks are either high, low, high, low or low, high, low, high, low, followed by a delayed high. You need to block the first one to see which one it is, then avoid the rest. The one where she rushes at you while spinning is all highs and you can avoid them all with the right timing. There's another pattern she uses at close range which is also all highs except for the very last hit. For the second part, it's all highs, dodge when her eye gleams before the rush, and if you have projectile grab, grab one of her kunais.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

I got this last night and I just want to gush

This is so obviously a love letter to martial arts movies made by people who ( judging by Absolver) always wanted to make this sorta game.

First off the tutorial being the opening credits as you take down imaginary versions of the bosses is Shaw Brothers as hell and I love it to pieces

The squats are 100% The Raid ( Fighting your way up a tenement building/drug den to face off against a short nutjob with a knife) and when it cuts into the Oldboy hallway fight I was grinning like an idiot

Still on the first boss but I'm excited to see what's next

Oh it's chock-full of references to all sorts of martial arts movies. The third level has some Kill Bill references and probably more I don't quite recognize.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Also if the spinning moves are confusing you or throwing your avoids off, just punch them in the middle of it!

fnox
May 19, 2013

I’ve now fully finished the game and it’s truly astounding how well it manages to accomplish the sense of martial mastery in the player. You begin scrapping it out on every fight, trying to brute force your way through unforgiving hordes of enemies, and end the game being able to effortlessly anticipate and counter moves to the point it’s actually surprising if they can get a hit in.

The game makes you feel like you really are the sifu. It’s loving awesome. The most important lesson to learn is when to not press a button.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Artelier posted:

Okay, any tips on doing this? I'm replaying the first level over and over again because I keep doing too much damage. Fajar keeps dodging things instead of blocking and many of his moves don't seem to be parry-able?

Parry the first hits. If they’re too wacky, avoid until you find a hit in the sequence you can comfortably parry. I found success at first fighting like normal, and after focusing solely on parries.

I’m not actually super sure of the parry rules, because you CAN parry glowing attacks, weapon attacks, and lots of other stuff that doesn’t look parryable, the difference tends to be the cost of the failed parry. Failing to parry a glowing attack will probably cost you your whole structure meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Dodging low attacks has been a real road-block for me. The animations are so fast that I don't know how you're supposed to know to prep a low-dodge rather than a standard one unless you've just done the fight enough times to know where the low attack is in the combo string.

The unblockable ones usually have a tell, either a big spin or are part of a chain. Regular ones you can just block or parry. They’re never doubled up so you just have to know the tell and then respond to it accordingly.