Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I tried their previous game and it didn't work for me. I think a big reason for that was MP part, which always felt like you needed to metagame or be god-level from the start to not get rolled. This being SP suits it much better I think.

I just need to avoid those forward kicks that keep hoofing me into walls :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The game integrates some key elements of Sekiro as well, which is one of my favourite games. I actually really like the concept of a shorter game you can end up becoming amazing at.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Managed to get to level two at 25 mostly by blind luck, but man when you get the hang of a certain enemy type you can just style on them.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Glowing palm slap has been my nemesis today. Because the window for dodging is so short I've been thinking it didn't work. Once you get comfortable dodging the palm slap you have such a quicker time with minibosses.

Play posted:

you bastard. tell me your secret and/or surrender your life force to me

Honestly I think it's just Sekiro muscle memory. Sifu handles parries and stamina in a pretty similar way and parries seem to really punish anything that's not a special enemy.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 9, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

should i be interested in this as someone who loves sekiro to death but absolutely loathes fighting games of all stripes

Can only speak for myself but this game reminds me of Sekiro a lot. It treats posture in a similar way, kicks your rear end but is consistent enough that when you learn an enemy's patterns properly you'll put them down super quick. The main difference is you need to pick the correct defensive move for the situation.

Seen some disagree with the comparison but for me it feels apt.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 9, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Man it's a great feeling when the staff lady and kickboxing duo crumple. Seems like you only need to dodge two of their combos to get enough damage in.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

My most fitting death so far was when I was 70 fighting those twin kickboxers at the end of level 2, falling off a 1ft ledge and dying. Bones get brittle!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

signalnoise posted:

I'm gonna go back through and beat the dogshit out of the first mission again because it makes me feel like a big man

I love this game

Yeah drat right. I could do that Oldboy hallway on repeat for hours :allears:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Went back and got level 2 beat at 33, which might be my best for a while. There are some gnarly bits in that level that can catch you off guard.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Finally beat the last level by the skin of my teeth and I feel exhausted. I think I had one rez left, that last boss sure doesn't mess around.

Absolutely amazing game, though level two seems kind of at odds with the rest of the game. Unless I'm missing a big shortcut it doesn't feel as elegantly(?) designed as the others. Give me stage three all day though, I love that Neon Demon style vibe it has.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 10, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

KonvexKonkav posted:

from how heavily it featured in the trailers and the demo, i guess level 2 was the first one they finished. this may be why it's a little rougher.

That makes a lot of sense. It just feels a little bloated compared to the others.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Man, the boss on level is kind of obnoxious once he gets into his second phase. He's so insanely evasive that I only ever manage to get hits in when I do focus moves or he does one particular combo that he can't instantly jump out of.

Sounds like Sean. Do you have any chase moves? I found those helped keep the pressure on him.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Very nice :golfclap:

Also I think one of the game's hidden messages is that being able to dodge sweeps is the key to everything in life.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It is very good. I'm really REALLY bad at sticking with/finishing games, even ones I like. This had me straight up hooked until I finished it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I like how all the levels are themed to the five elements.

I also did my first mercy ending on boss 1. Didn't even know that was possible!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Oops, was in such a sprinting punchy haze I seem to have just lamped the sound guy.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Artelier posted:

Okay, spoil me one thing regarding what I assume is the final boss does he have at least 3 forms? Yes/no. I'm guessing this based on a lack of IMPOSSIBLE GEOMETRYYYY

also he's loving hard

There may be some secret triggers for one, but no, not when I did it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

signalnoise posted:

You shouldn't be mashing inputs, but you should be attacking all the loving time because it actually slows down the game and makes it easier to defend. I'll explain in the post

Hesitation is defeat in this game, too! :eng101:

Seriously though, I really like the first boss because it shows you exactly that. You can either do dodges and occasional hits, or chase after and elbow him in the face and end the fight in about 2 minutes.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

And 'no wrinkles on old female model', because of course.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m not great at this game, got to the museum at age 50 and wow is it a beautiful level. If ONLY that museum existed in real life I’d go there literally every weekend.

I just want to say that as far as SA threads go, they’re often very helpful and feel like a great community. But holy poo poo this thread is PHENOMENAL. The amount of support and in depth exploration of this game is a whole other level. And OP, I can tell you’re super in love with this game, but you’re driving this thread really well and get all the credit due for making it as remarkable as it is.

The museum is indeed awesome, and it has some fights that really reward certain move picks. Glad you're having a good time with it!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The final boss for me was basically a checklist:

• "Have you stopped relying on focus sweep?"
  • "Can you parry?"
  • "Can you avoid sweeps?"

I had 1/3 when I first tried it, but it was kind of awesome how quickly the other two came when it was clear there was no way around them.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

y_y posted:

I’m still at the “cannot parry” stage…

Yeah what I thought was parrying was actually just blocking and costing me a lot of stamina.

Also I finally found the Club shortcut, after running it about 12 times all the way through unnecessarily :negative:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think the sweet spot would be reasonably quick wind up with some kind of unique audio cue. You could learn something like 'Haa!' means the high combo and 'Grrr' means the low.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Sean was changed recently to be less cagey, right? That made a huge difference, as did reminding myself that you can afford to block the start of most combos then dodge the rest when you know which it is.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

All skills unlocked, nice!

Edit: Dare I ask how the whole difficulty settings thing has been received?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Been a while since I've played it but does Master difficulty basically mean more sweeps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

Decided to get back into this with the Arenas release and try a new playthrough in Master mode and holy poo poo this difficulty is for masochists. The first boss has been harder than the entire rest of the game combined on the lower difficulties, I've tried this guy 3 times now and have yet to beat him younger than age 60, and that's with using the new training mode to learn his moves in a "safe" environment.

Was it the sweep? It's always the sweeps for me.