Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

In general, I try to go towards parries. However, if my structure (why didn't they just call it posture?) is getting high, I try to use avoids since those will decrease it again. I also try to avoid attacks that are telegraphed by glowing limbs since those will deal massive structure damage, even on parry.

e: for those wondering about mechanics, check the lower left half of your collectible board. there's a tutorial hidden on some post-its there that explains parries, avoids and the aging system etc.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Play posted:

Avoid like hold the block button and hit the stick up or down, not like use the dodge right trigger correct?

exactly! the right trigger dodge seems to be mostly for repositioning. avoids decrease your structure and give you the opportunity for a counter. BTW, the game doesn't tell you this directly, but you can avoid almost every attack by blocking and hitting the stick down or left or right, it seems to count like a down avoid either way. the only attacks that must be avoided by pressing up are sweeps.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Lobok posted:

I asked in the beat-em-up thread but what is the way to speed up the fight against the Club boss? It takes so long by waiting to get in hits until after his combos and doing such paltry damage each time.

Try to weave in some parries. Not only do those structure damage by themselves but parrying/avoiding the bosses attacks and countering often enough occasionally staggers him and allows you to wail on him for a few seconds.

More importantly, get the skill that increases focus gain on parry/avoid and use your focus gauge whenever you can. The sweep focus skill is godlike as it not only deals decent damage, you can also regain some of your own structure while the boss is down. I used it whenever I had the meter.

For those struggling with the 2nd boss by the way, I'm up to the 5th level and the 2nd one was the hardest by far.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Another 2nd level tip: you don't have to fight the guys in the boxing gym, they just let you through if you tell them "I'm ready". Very useful if you try to optimize your performance against the 2nd boss.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

from how heavily it featured in the trailers and the demo, i guess level 2 was the first one they finished. this may be why it's a little rougher.

Oh and that Polygon review that signalnoise mentioned is total garbage. This game is in no way a roguelike or soulslike. It's just a very well made 3D brawler. For me at least, I found it tough but also not that hard. If I compare it to Streets of Rage 4, I had way more trouble with that.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

For those of you struggling, I found the game very hard at first and now I've managed to leave the museum at age 27. You can do it too, I believe in your power as gamers.

e: a question for y'all: how do you prioritize parries vs avoids? I tend to try to parry the first hits in a combo and then avoid the glowing finisher to build up structure damage and then get the counter in respectively. this does good damage but it seems risky as you'll get easily guard broken if you miss the avoid.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 12, 2022

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

signalnoise posted:

So did yall know there are audio and visual queues to tell you when your combo string has ended and the enemy is no longer in hitstun

I ask this question because I finally think I can fully and completely answer the question "how does defense" in this game now, full understanding, and it's only a matter of execution now. Short story is that the more thought I give to this game, the better I get at it, and I perform noticeably worse when I am not paying attention to certain things that I didn't know existed before. That is to say, not knowing it was a barrier to my performance. Execution still remains, but for real, ask me any questions you have about how defense actually works in this game and I'll see if I can't help out

PS: Deflect and parry are different things, but they are performed the same way, and they give the same confirmation feedback for the player. That feedback is a solid red dot where the hit was deflected or parried. The difference between them is that parries are deflects that cause the enemy to get parried. Basically, you press the button and if you timed it right, then you get the deflect bonus. If the attack was something that can be parried, it gets parried instead. It's good to know which attacks get parried instead of deflected, and to plan to parry that one.

Not sure i got that parry explanation. So a parry would be a deflect that stuns the enemy afterwards such that I can go into a throw or counterattack? Which attacks do enable that by the way? It seems kind of random, I often only notice I could've thrown the enemy when it's already too late.

Beat the final boss for the 1st time. This guy does not gently caress around, I entered at 32 and was 65 when the fight ended lol. This game is epic.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 12, 2022

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

signalnoise posted:

3- Parry. This is when you time a deflection correctly, and it is indicated by the red circle. I tested to see if it works against Sean, and it does, in both forms. However, certain moves have some kind of "unstoppable" property it looks like. You can still parry every hit and be fine, and do a lot of structure damage in the process, but it's hard to do unless you really know the feel of that attack string.

Lol. I've never noticed a red circle. Let me guess, it's not a huge effect. I'm red-green colorblind meaning that I can see really obvious red objects like the Sekiro danger sign but I'm having trouble seeing shades of red that are not as strong.

If it's like you described then that it's very poorly explained and telegraphed in-game. I love this game but in terms of accessibility and tutorials it could really use some improvement.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Finally managed to finish stage 3 at a reasonable age, 32. The stage itself is incredible, but I wasn't that much of a fan of the boss fight, at least the first phase. The reach on her attacks, the deceptive animations, and the ample chip damage just pushed me to wait out her attacks outside her reach, then get in some hits after her overhead strike. The second phase was cool though, nice and quick and dynamic.

3rd boss gets trivialized if you bring a weapon since she can't deal any chip damage to you anymore.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Thanks! For me it almost looks like the white flash. I tested it out some more in practice and I can tell the difference if I really focus on it but in the heat of the moment, it's basically impossible.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

This game has been criticised for attacks not having huge tells like in that one action game franchise every hard game gets compared to but after getting used to it, I prefer how it is here. I always found it extremely annoying how in that other series an enemy would start a huge telegraphed attack animation, only to pause in the middle and to catch you when you try to dodge at what would have been the natural timing. Luckily there's none of that here, enemies attack quickly but straightforwardly for the most part. Attacks generally hit when you think they will.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

He does have few openings but one huge opportunity to counter is when you dodge his big lunge attack. Another is when you deflect his flurry of blows.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Having played through both Sekiro, and Sifu back to back, I found it far easier to handle groups in this than in Sekiro. Sekiro's targeting gets very clunky every time you have more than 1 enemy in melee range, here you can switch between targets pretty smoothly. It's also great thatthat parries/avoids are 360 degrees and you can cancel into them at any time, so it's very easy to switch between offense and defense constantly. I agree with you that sweeps are too hard to dodge however, I never got the timing for those very well.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

There's a very helpful tutorial in the training mode now and I learned some things I didn't know before, even after reaching Wude last year when it came out. For instance what the difference between Deflect and Parry is: Deflect is blocking attacks at the last moment, Parry is when you Deflect specific attacks and the enemy gets stunned. This means Parry doesn't have a tighter timing (like I thought before) but only works on certain attacks. Which attacks? Unfortunately the game doesn't tell you but it mostly seems to be at the end of strings or single strikes with longer startup.

Now as for those glowing attacks, the tutorial explicitly tells you those should be avoided outright. You can Deflect them in principle but you'll take a lot of structure damage.

The training mode tutorial now also makes explicit that Parrying/Avoiding certain attacks leaves the enemy open for various combos and gives you examples on how to do them.

All in all I wish the game had made this clearer from the start because I remember being very confused about some of this when I started playing. I wish they'd still have clearer tells in-game about how to deal with certain attacks, maybe a flash like in Revengeance before attacks which you can Parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah unfortunately. I just play this fight super passively and try to parry/avoid his bullshit as best as I can. The biggest punish opportunities are after his sweep, his flurry of blows and that claw lunge in the 2nd phase.