Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

any else playing around with the photo mode?

show me what you got

Didn't even realise it had one until you mentioned this so thank you! I also took some shots of Stage 3 which gets very creative visually - am spoilering them in case anyone wants to preserve that first time feeling:

Also this guy is dead af

Managed to beat Stage 3 first try, even with all the photos, racking up those sweet sweet EXP points...at 71 years of age, so I can't buy any upgrades fml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Btw I managed to beat Stage 2 boss with no death, so my tips for those struggling is:

Phase 1 - afaik, all his attacks are high, so stand still, dodge low up to 4 times, then hit with a short, quick combo.

Phase 2 - he starts mixing in a low attack, but only during the first two hits of a combo. So to make it easy, block the first two hits of any combo, and repeatedly dodge the following high attacks (you'll regain your stance bar by dodging), and do quick combos when you can. He likes to dash back without completing his combo, if you have the dash forward kick you can try to chase him but the safe, steady, guaranteed victory play is to just wait some more until he commits to a combo finisher before trying to do your attacks.

The trickiest move is that his wild upwards swing seems to be ever so slightly slower and it seems like it only comes as attack 4 onwards, so I recommend just holding off on the dodge until the last possible second.

This method can be slow, but I've done it a few times in a row now, because I wanted to go into stage 3 with no more than 5 lives lost. Yes, I can kill the boss consistently, but also gently caress the two assholes before him.

EDIT: Just quick correction to say that I beat the Stage 2 boss with no death, not the entirety of stage 2. Missed that word "boss" in the opening sentence at the top originally

Artelier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 9, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I chuckled at a bit at Level 3's shortcut because yeah this boss is hard here's the fight immediately from the start of the level

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yesterday I beat Stage 3 at Age 71. I'm happy to report that today I retried the stage and beat it at Age 70!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay, spoil me one thing regarding what I assume is the final boss does he have at least 3 forms? Yes/no. I'm guessing this based on a lack of IMPOSSIBLE GEOMETRYYYY

also he's loving hard

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Avoid just up and down or also to the sides? I keep getting enemies (like the kickboxer) who punch my chest and I get hit half of the time?

I'm losing multiple lives whenever a normal enemy gets enraged, they go back to full health, and now have a yellow aura around them. No matter what I do, avoid or parry, they seem to never break. outside of building up and cheesing focus what am I missing?

Avoid is just up and down, yes, like a 3d fighting game ala Tekken or Virtua Fighter - if you are getting stuffed, either you are choosing the wrong avoid, or you are timing it wrong - many mini bosses and bosses have a delay attack that's designed to muck up your avoid rhythm

For enraged enemies, like any enemy, you can break their structure (force them to block attacks) or counter (parry/dodge into quick attacks). Ooooooor if you memorise or can tell who are the "super enemies", you can just... not do a finisher on them.

I only noticed this yesterday so i am not certain yet (haven't tracked) but am pretty sure that enemies that will get a phase 2 upon being hit by a finisher have a very thin, almost transparent layer of white aura when facing them initially.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any tips for what I assume is the last boss? Specifically I am having trouble with his phase 2 dashing triple attack, "Bet you Sifu never taught you this!" I can dodge the first hit reliably, but the second one definitely gets me and I'm not sure if it's because it's undodgeable, it's a low, or I'm just not timing it right. I've so far decided to dodge first hit, block second hit, except it does MASSIVE structure damage which makes the rest of the fight hard.

My current plan is to basically just stay in Yang's face so that he's not using that move so often, but he's still backdashing very quickly and using it every now and then.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

JBP posted:

This is entirely without honour.

No place for honour in our very mentally healthy revenge quest!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

There is, of course, already a mod to replace the player character with John Wick.

yo where it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Aight, beat Sifu at Age 58. The ending tells me that there is some way to submit opponents and make them stop fighting (to presumably get a good ending)? I assume that's what it's telling me since the ending, while appropriate, feels abrupt AND kicks you back to age 20.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

You have to break their structure in the second stage of the fight, wait for them to recover, break it again, and select the spare dialog. Getting good at parry is helpful (necessary?). I've seen a guide saying you need to do nothing but parry, but that's bogus. Sparing the other 4 bosses is way easier than even beating Yang, imo.

Okay, any tips on doing this? I'm replaying the first level over and over again because I keep doing too much damage. Fajar keeps dodging things instead of blocking and many of his moves don't seem to be parry-able?

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 13, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Perestroika posted:

RIP to that one blonde woman in Sean's club who always eats an unexpected baseball bat to the back of the head the moment I get through the doors. :allears:

If you mean the one when you first enter the club, I prefer to run up to her with the baseball bat and do a heavy attack, because then the guy next to her is also RIP

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anyone have tips for any heavy structure-damage combos? The most consistent I have is a simple light/heavy into throw at the wall or into back forward light into a wall..which is consistent but very slow.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Please help me with Sean. He keeps (post-first playthrough spoiler)dying and I am trying to spare his low-life rear end!! What are your go-to moves to parry, or what are your combos (or lack thereof) when it comes to focusing on structure damage?

I can dodge and survive indefinitely no problem, but I can't seem to pick a good move to parry or maybe I'm just mucking up the timing, so it's all avoids into the smallest combos possible but he still dies just before I get to spare him FUUUUU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I am in the (end of game)Yang Phase 3 fight and my god it sucks. I assume I have to stagger him completely but I've been here 5 minutes and [i]he keeps backdashing please stop backdashing especially when my dash/run button doesn't work anymore

The extra zoomed in camera and him insisting on switching positions like all the time doesn't help too

Thank you powers of complaining on message boards he instantly stopped backdashing after I posted

Artelier fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 16, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

On my third run through the game, and I'm 21 years old entering the fourth stage. One death so far because I was trying to style in the museum but fell off some stairs whoops.

For those struggling on Artist 1, I have a safe but slow strategy - Stay out of range and bait an attack by walking into range and dashing/running out. Once she starts an attack string she cannot stop it until the combo is complete, so hover outside her range and then dash attack/forward forward heavy to get in and get a safe combo. If she does her long attack where she spins her weapon vertically, just keep running away from her (you don't even need the camera to be looking towards her), she'll get tired eventually.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I took a break from work and before I knew it, I beat Sifu at age 23. 3 deaths. 1 due to carelessness on some stairs, second due to accidentally finding a way to skip some encounters in Stage 4 where I thought it was the area I was supposed to jump down to the boss - it wasn't, but it was close to it, I took a death and immediately started the boss fight so I'm going to try and see if I can reproduce the exact place I dropped down at and the third death was just a bit of carelessness against the lass boss, who is much more doable this time around because I'm more used to the fight.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

These are the specific moves I am looking out for against the final boss:
- The big lunge attack - I wait for him to lunge and mash high dodge, even if you dodge too much you still have time to hit him. After you get used to this move I recommend trying to bait it out by keeping your distance, because the other long range move he has are..
- ...walljump kick, he normally follows up with a high kick, which you can dodge...
- ...or just the step kick, which normally is followed with a series of high attacks. If in doubt, just block or high dodge these.

Other moves
- His flurry of blows - best if parried, but even if you just high dodge you have enough t ime to at least squeeze in some normal move hits
- If in his combo string he does an elbow strike with his right elbow shining red that you block/dodge, he will follow up with a left elbow so dodge that high, free combo
- For sweeps, he sometimes opens a close combo with it or a high attack that's blockable...so just block/parry the first hit if you can. The sweep is partly why I like to keep my distance, so I don't have to do this kind of reactionary guessing game

It is of course overwhelming to get the timing and visual cues for all of these at once, so just pick one that you think you can identify consistently and tank the damage for the rest, even if you lose a lot of health for it. Once you have that one move down pat, you can choose another one, and before you know it, you'll beat him. You should be able to brute force your way through him with enough lives (and if you feel like it, you can have revenge on him in a future run and lose less lives)

EDIT: Looks like I took too long typing this out, congrats^^!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

cleared the Club with no deaths so if I can just squeak past Kuroki’s first phase without getting killed then the plat might actually be within reach

You can do it! If you're looking for tips on that phase specifically, here's how I tackle it now which hasn't failed me yet (bring a weapon):

Artelier posted:

For those struggling on Artist 1, I have a safe but slow strategy - Stay out of range and bait an attack by walking into range and dashing/running out. Once she starts an attack string she cannot stop it until the combo is complete, so hover outside her range and then dash attack/forward forward heavy to get in and get a safe combo. If she does her long attack where she spins her weapon vertically, just keep running away from her (you don't even need the camera to be looking towards her), she'll get tired eventually.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

and as it turned out, i only needed one revive for the final boss. speccing into weapon durability/resilience turned out to be the right call

Agreed. Weapon durability and damage to structure on parry are probably the best upgrades once you're used to the game. Then weapon damage, and maybe extra structure regain on dodge.

Trap skill I think is extra health refill on takedown - it doesn't add that much, and the big roadblocks of the game (elites and bosses) don't really have other enemies to health refill with, or they died very quickly before you're left with the elite.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lobok posted:

What's a beginner's strategy for the 3rd boss? In most games when you die to the boss you can redo it right away and that helps with learning patterns and maybe experimenting but it's so brutal to have to go through the entire museum again to get another shot at her :( I feel like I have such a low chance of learning her combos to properly Avoid. To get to her 2nd stage I mostly just ran around and tried timing when the end of her combo string would be to get in a few quick hits and then run away again like a wuss.

Also when I catch her kunais in the 2nd stage are they best kept to fight with or thrown right back in hopes of breaking her guard?

For 3rd Boss

Phase 1 - You got it, that's the safe strat. Bait her into doing an attack, then stay out of range, and when she's done, dash in and attack, preferably if you have forward, forward heavy for the step in kick. If she does her chase after you while spinning attack, just turn the camera away from her and run (so you can see where you're going), she'll get tired eventually, especially if you put some level geometry in between you two.

The faster strat is to (ideally with a weapon so you don't take chip damage) just stay in her face and try to parry her attacks, then dodge the last attack or few. Generally her strings start with a high or a low, then go back and forth between high and low. The timing is a bit funky though, so as of now I generally advocate the stay out of range strat.

Phase 2 - You have a few options with the kunais. I personally like just tossing them back straight away but it's really up to you. If you hang onto the kunai and block/parry with it, you don't take chip life damage iirc, so if you want to use a defensive strat it might be worth hanging onto it. Her combos are all high attacks so dodging them is easy if you're not confident in parrying them, just make sure you remember that she always does a very delayed drop kick afterwards; I normally try to parry all the hits then dodge the dropkick to gain structure back since she almost always follows with backflip knives. Her long range dash attack does massive damage but you can dodge it, or parry it (when you see the flash, immediately press the button).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

signalnoise posted:

Ignore the enemy in your directional input. YOU need to be next to the rail, and you need to do a directional push with your stick pointing toward the rail. It can be tricky but a good place to practice is the stairwell at the start of mission 1. Just stun them with bottles, run next to them, and aim directly into the rail while you are next to the rail. Directional push will grab a nearby valid target and generally there's not more than one available for that.

To add to this, it doesn't work at all angles too; for instance, if too much of your back is to the rail then you don't get it, you get the head knock instead. It's most consistent if the enemy's back is to the rail, or if your character is parallel to the rail.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Now that I've beaten the game multiple times, I would like to announce I hate Stage 4. Its gimmicks of constant ambushes wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't filled with geometry where the wall goes up really high and the camera veers wildly mid-move sometimes, blocking your line of sight, and also periodically you just can't see anything clearly because of the bell toll.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a way to drop a weapon or do I just have to tank a big hit? For the final boss, I would like to bring a long staff into the fight, drop it, then use it in phase 2 so I can do the infinite sweep until breaks to bypass most of this phase. So close to finishing at age 20....

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tarezax posted:

You can drop it by pressing the same input as the pickup iirc but the phase change on every boss will remove all weapons on the floor

I tried that, my character just tosses it at the boss' face and if it hits, it breaks in half, so this strat won't work. Or maybe I'm doing the input wrong somehow? Hold too short/too long?

Thanks for the warning on the phase change, I knew about it, my plan is to do like 99% damage, pick up the staff, then activate phase 2.

Right now I'm tanking a big hit to drop the staff but he does quite a bit of damage on the large hits so now I'm dying on phase 1 instead of phase 2. My plan definitely works on either phase though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Goodguy3 posted:

It's indeed the same button, but you have to hold the button down for a second, then you'll drop it.

Thanks, that did it!! Sifu now beaten at age 20, with no damage taken on phase 2 due to the strat.

Immortalising this feat with visual proof, but spoilering as it's a no context shot of the final, final, FINAL area of the game (if you do certain things)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

tpink posted:

For those who are farther along/done - any unlocked skills that you find really useful? I have environment mastery, the sweep, weapon catch, and weapon mastery unlocked and those all seem like must-haves. Anything else people recommend?

You nailed my must haves, and I would argue that the forward, forward heavy (step in attack) is another one - having a space-traversing, tracking attack is sweet in helping me clear rooms efficiently, because it can get me away from a crowd while still targeting a lone enemy. Also charged backfist because when using a bladed weapon, a "level 2" charge does an instant kill at the cost of a weapon, helpful against many elites (your character will pose twice, the moment they go into the second pose it's an instant kill already, though if you hold it long enough your character will attack anyway)

I will also say that I dislike charging slide, and after trying it out a few times, have opted not to get it. The reason being that a running heavy strike, against unaware enemies, even elites, will trigger a takedown; very handy in fights where you are hidden before it begins, basically a free elimination of a character. The slide works to surprise people, but knocks them down and you still have to deplete their health/structure. And if I really need a low attack, I still have my focus sweep, and regular sweep. That's pretty much the only upgrade I feel that gets in the way of my playstyle though.

tpink posted:

(I also have raining strikes, but for some reason just cannot seem to get the timing of that one even in training - it's just triangle, pause, triangle, but it seems super inconsistent so I feel like I must be missing something.)

For a visual cue, try doing a single heavy attack on its own. You see the moment that your character decides to reset back to their neutral stance? You want to hit the second heavy attack just before that animation happens.

Also note it has to be a regular heavy attack. For instance, if you did a parry and then press heavy and get the special parry-to-attack animation, it doesn't count as a regular heavy attack, so you would need to press heavy again to get the usual animation, and then pause and press heavy again.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tarezax posted:

Any hit against an unaware enemy will put them in the critical state, including running light or the running heavy slide

Whaaaaat, but when I tried the slide for level 4 (the entrance, and the lady giving the speech) the prompt didn't trigger!!

Maybe I mistimed it or they were aware of me in a split second. I'll give it another go, I have the exp and it's the last non-focus skill I have left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The other trick to the CEO is to watch and dodge her arm and not her weapon, because it doesn't have any noticable travel time at longer ranges.

Based on feel, this is the same for Artist Phase 2's long range attack I think, the one with the twing! There's no need to account for range, it's basically the same timing every time as far as the game's concerned, which is basically just as the attack comes out.

This doesn't apply to projectiles though! Those you gotta time properly, but the catching window is pretty generous.

Personal Boss Difficulty, first time through
Yang
Kuroki Phase 1
Sean
Fajar
Kuroki Phase 2
Jinfeng

Personal Boss Difficulty now
Yang
Kuroki Phase 1
Fajar
Kuroki Phase 2