Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This is going to be my favourite game for the next two weeks. Made some inroads into the museum but my best run at da club is age 54 lol so I was really just poking my head in for some xp and forward knowledge before I go back and break this firey rear end in a top hat's face as a younger man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish you could just reset your best age or something. I hosed up doing the whole of level one and died twice so I didn't get to record new upgrades. I want to lock in focus bar and focus on parry/dodge because it makes difficult opponents much less like to get the jump and cost you.

Weapon durability is pretty good but I feel like the structure upgrade is also strong. Then again taking weapon durability early seems like a good get because I don't see myself being 20 something for this entire game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fnox posted:

Get the projectile grab. You just gotta remember you have it but it'll help with not getting hit by flying bottles and some specific boss moves.

The flat out best first unlock is the focus sweep. The second best probably is either the dodge when downed, maybe some of the other focus moves. Anything that knocks people down is a godsend in group fights.

I've unlocked everything in the first tier plus weapon catch, downed counter and uhhhh something else in tier 2. My favourite unlock is the roundhouse combo because you can flatten three guys at once, but it also promotes hubris.

Also on the whole getting hosed by walls stuff the way to win is primarily be in a commanding position on your own terms. If you haven't let yourself get surrounded it's generally not a problem to slip away and start the fight again at a new spot, preferably one with a counter you can slide over to create space whenever you need it. This being said fighting three guys at once and not getting hit is pure gravy.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 10, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My understanding is that parry is when the opponent stops dead and you can counter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cool got through the club age 30 and died at the boss of the museum. All good though because I got the shortcut stuff and unlocked things. The bottom permanent unlocks are age gated to my surprise so now I have to go back and unlock them lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Focus sweep puts a guy on the ground before your iframes run out. It's one button to disarm a goon. Eye poke you can get swarmed while you try to follow up. Both are good depending on what you need at the time.

Yeah I like sweep in a crowd and poke against bosses. Poke gives you scope to follow up with a heavy string into sweep/elbow/roundhouse and put them on the ground anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pladdicus posted:

A lot of reviews made the game seem like a real slog to replay which feels brutal in a run based game, what are people's experience with replaying sections?

I just love playing the game. Doing the levels again is fun. Some people get obsessed with "progress" or whatever. You're always unlocking sick Kung Fu and fighting bastards what else is there?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sometimes instead of getting the health bump for using a finisher I pop a roundhouse kick because you kick people so hard it looks like their head might come off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just locked in age 21 (got stuck on a wall ah well) on level 1 with a full run after having it at 22. Scored well so I bought myself 2 dodge/parry and some focus bar. Will have a go at getting through the club in sub 30 but I feel cursed to either choke when I get to Sean or get trolleyed by suddenly hyper aggressive kickboxers.

Had a couple of goes at the third level boss and pushed her to phase two but I've been messing up the timing on the first phase. It's nice that you can take the shortcut and get some practice before embarking on a longer run for shrines. It's also quote a bit more interesting in the design of shortcuts and I'm enjoying thinking about which paths might be optimal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

signalnoise posted:

I don't like my current loadout does anyone know a way to wipe it without having to unlock everything again

All I want to do is reset the shrines

I haven't been able to find a way that doesn't involve doing a single magnificent run or beating your previous one. I've probably done myself a favour competing level 1 at 21 as it affords me a respec. I'm pretty happy with more focus though it's a lifesaver.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can block and press sideways to avoid attacks. Also block the first one or two then avoid or parry the last one, that's generally your best opportunity to strike back and your structure will generally (not always!!) hold up ok against attacks that aren't the end of a string.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Came back to the game and went 23 club, 27 Museum (all shrines), 56 tower (all shrines first try) in a row. After sleeping on the game the mechanics must have settled in because I know Kung Fu.

Have to get some work done but I'll tackle the last level in a bit. Was meant to be a twenty minute Kung Fu break lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like the muted punches and sounds in general but I agree that the TING noise could be something more punchy. Hopefully they make another game with a bigger team off the back of this.

And hopefully it's the Renaissance rapier fighting game of my dreams. I feel like these guys could make it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

signalnoise posted:

To be honest I don't think it will take me very long to get the skills back.

Yeah so on my third session of the game I went from hating the idea of a restart to "it will be fast and easy". Love it when mechanics settle in your mind.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I have beaten 3 of the bosses and there's not a single level I'm not keen as hell to go back and replay. I just love playing this game.

The museum is amazing. But also so are the others.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Perestroika posted:

Managed to get stage 2 down to age 25! Stage 3 is completely kicking my rear end though, specifically the boss. The timings of her attacks are so weird.

Also, is it just me or are the two "following" attacks kind of gimped/bugged? Their descriptions imply you can use them to close the distance after hitting them in a way that knocks them back, but in practice it looks like it's only a valid followup after a handful of very specific attacks. So far I've only managed to make it go off after the palm strike, but oddly enough not the push kick, and also not after the various bat attacks that knock people away.

Very good Kung Fu it only gets better.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is entirely without honour.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man the last boss. I'm being punished for relying on focus moves lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I fought yang twice and got a lot closer the second time but I decided to go back to the slums and beat the poo poo out of idiots instead because I enjoy it lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just take the chill chat option here. No longer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Carmant posted:

The last boss is going to give me a stroke. How the gently caress does anyone do this.

Yeah he's very much a final exam. You'll eventually take it up a notch just by rote learning but he's loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Checking in to say I love this game it's a must play if you enjoy action games.