Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There has never been a game more desperately in need of a Souls-esque R3 to lock on button.

It seems like the core sentence structure of the game is "grind out levels to unlock poo poo" -> "use shortcuts to skip the whole level once you've had enough" -> "play the next level at a younger age than you started last time."

It's not great but it is pretty rogue-lite and I guess that's what they were going for. OH and major ups to the music. This is exactly the kind of game I would normally mute music to put on something of my own and yeah the score is fantastic through and through.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How do you beat the poo poo out of downed people? Is there a certain location to trigger it? I remember during the tutorial you could sweep the leg and then punch face but now, during fights, I mash every button at every body part and just stand there like an rear end in a top hat waiting for them to get up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Play posted:

you have to hold it too. I think?

That helps thanks.

In regards to comparing parry timing to Sekiro, I couldn't disagree more. It's a way funkier timing and I think you're intended to flow smoothly between L1 parry and dodging but it being on the same button and attacks being borderline impossible to read for me right now make that a very unlikely scenario.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How the everloving gently caress are you supposed to defend against someone wielding a staff ie the girl before Boss 2. Neither dodge or parry straight up loving work at all when you try to counter a staff with another staff. It's incredibly frustrating knowing that you are absolutely hitting the button and less than nothing is happening.

Is the staff just the worst weapon in the game period

e: Yeah I don't know I think it's just that whole run of mini bosses. I just lost 30 years to staff girl and the pair in the flaming room because dodging and parrying straight up stopped working. Time to stop for the night before I spike a controller

weekly font fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 9, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

symphoniccacophony posted:

With staffs most of the time it's block + DOWN to dodge (unless it's a foot sweep, then it's a block + up). Also if you do a focus mode leg sweep that should make her drop her weapon.

OK I keep going side to side so that would make sense why I’m just eating wood. When I try again tomorrow we’ll see if that works

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is there a way to throw people off of/out of things. There are so many juicy ledges and windows that dont have breakable glass that look great for human consumption. Plus there’s the throw a guy into the fountain achievement which I assume is for the museum and I have no idea how to make that happen.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the biggest enemy in this game might be geometry. You get your back to a wall or couch or table and you're turbofucked.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Reviews of this game are another argument for abolishing games journalism but at least it seems like the tide is going the opposite way.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lobok posted:

There's also a secret move that is from Absolver. It's almost purely for style though.

I forget if it's just text or it's a model but some of the artifacts in the museum are from Absolver-land.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Someone in here a few posts back said on Sean2 to not even bother to try to dodge the sweep since he'll only open with it so just block block evade his combo and that has worked incredibly well for me. Now the only deaths I take on that stupid loving fight are due to camera.

You can also get like a 30% damage combo on Artist1 if you take a knife into a fight. Crotch punch, heavy, heavy -> repeat gives a soft stunlock. I haven't been able to get to full damage with it but boy does it help.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Artist is one of the few times in a game like this I had to go to Youtube to figure out what the gently caress she's even doing. I have no idea if you're meant to weave around her stuff in either stage or just constantly sprint around and get your jabs in like the fight is O-renstein and Smough.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ok I have the dumbest motherfucking question: HOW THE gently caress DO YOU STAND UP.

It was noticeable during fights where people could sweep you - I try to move the stick and just kind of sit there for a while. Then I start moving the stick AND mashing buttons and I roll in a random direction, occasionally throwing a limp dicked kick at someone. But during Artist2 it's extremely noticeable when I get taken down and sit there like a kindergartener during play time while she fills me with knives. Additionally, gently caress her whole fight I can't wait til some GDQ brain finds a way to clip her into rocks so you can pummel her for free cause I'm done with the first phase of her fight forever.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

i think trigger dodge + direction rolls away and stands up, light or heavy do an attack, just moving the stick does nothing

Okay I think I have a tendency to panic spam when I get dropped thinking I can just roll out and end up eating extra poo poo. I need to be more cognizant of what I'm doing when I get rocked but it's tough in a boss fight.

signalnoise posted:

Gave up on trying to best my old Club score. Finally managed to get through museum with an age I feel decent about (38) so I am willing to move on to Tower.

I just beat it at 45 but it was straight to the boss with a bat. I'd love to get some advice on bare-handed Artist especially phase one because I feel like there's no world where doing a full Museum run including the boss (and therefore getting all the shrines) is feasible for me at this point. She takes like triple damage from the bat and phase one is already awful as is. Real shame because phase 2 might be my favorite boss in the game so far.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I asked before a big dumb question about how do you stand up and I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that if you get hit by Artist2's dropkick you don't get up like normal since your normal get up is in response to other attacks and you don't interact with long distance projectiles the same way and end up eating most of them. It's pretty poo poo frankly and I've done everything I can to get away from them other than consistently git gud to avoid the kick all together (spoilers: dodge way later than you think).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No that kind of poo poo is what separates us from reddit post away

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bummer. This was the kind of game I thought I could have fun going for all achievements since I’m at 38/42 after my spare run but the game is bugged and says I don’t have the Sanctuary detective board complete even though I do.

At least I won’t get mad sinking the time into beating it young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Artelier posted:

So I am in the (end of game)Yang Phase 3 fight and my god it sucks. I assume I have to stagger him completely but I've been here 5 minutes and [i]he keeps backdashing please stop backdashing especially when my dash/run button doesn't work anymore

The extra zoomed in camera and him insisting on switching positions like all the time doesn't help too

Thank you powers of complaining on message boards he instantly stopped backdashing after I posted

Yeah it's rough. I just finished it last night after thinking you had to do it twice again. :barf: