Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just got this and did the first level at age 35, I think. Seems pretty cool. I tend to do great when I have a weapon and the enemies don't, but get my rear end kicked repeatedly in the opposite situation. Imagine that! Moves that knock enemies over seem really good.

I had no idea a female player character was an option, I watched a decent amount of prerelease footage and it exclusively showed the male PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Good gawd the second boss is nasty. I got my age down to 24 on my second run of the first zone, was at 27 immediately before the second boss, 67 afterwards.

The trick is to learn his combo strings and chain dodge them, but the execution is pretty tough. Getting the level score bonus that boosts your focus so you can get lots of focus moves after chain dodging is helpful.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think deflect is block, parry is perfect block, and avoid is hold down block and tilt the stick at the right time to dodge the attack.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I managed to get the second boss down at 40. Once you get the hang of dodging his stuff he's actually a lot easier than the turds right outside of his room.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I made it to the third boss, then decided I needed a better starting age so I went back and 0 deathed the first level, that was neat. The first boss is kind of a joke once you have the hang of the game. I feel like you don't really want to use the shortcuts that make you miss shrines, since the shrine powerups are so powerful.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Play posted:

Are you sure that isn't just if you're moving from one level to the next, which is basically counted as the same 'run'? Pretty sure I noticed that I got one down to 3x purchase unlock then when I started first level again it was at 5x purchaser unlock.

Yeah, it's cheaper to do it all in one run though since the initial unlock doesn't count towards the permanent unlock. So if you do it all in one run you need to pay the exp price 6 times, 7 times over two runs, 8 times over three etc.

weekly font posted:

Is there a way to throw people off of/out of things. There are so many juicy ledges and windows that dont have breakable glass that look great for human consumption. Plus there’s the throw a guy into the fountain achievement which I assume is for the museum and I have no idea how to make that happen.

Throw is one of your basic moves but it's conditional (enemy has to be "stunned") so I never remember to use it in the heat of the moment. It's x+a on an XBox controller. I'd imagine launching them with a palm strike would also count.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man the fist phase of the third boss is about 10 times harder than the second phase.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Has anyone found any must-have moves yet? So far, my favorite is invert throw. Being able to pop a guy in the face and then swap places with him is vital in a crowd.

Don't remember what it's called but that kick that's heavy heavy pause heavy is really good, even a lot of bosses will get knocked down if you hit them with it after dodging a string.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

weekly font posted:

I think the biggest enemy in this game might be geometry. You get your back to a wall or couch or table and you're turbofucked.

Walls are nasty yeah but you can vault over most couches and tables with the interact button.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

After three bosses I've noticed the protagonist always kills the bosses with their own weapons. I wonder what will happen with Yang, maybe the stop hitting yourself of death.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think parry is when you perfect block an attack, which does structure damage and stops the enemy's string.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Im out of level 2 at 21 but gently caress me the level 3 boss just impossible for me to get through below 50. Also lol that the tower soft locks if you fight the guards in the lobby.

I think you can fight them if you get an elevator key at some point later on. But yeah, that was kind of a weird choice, I kept wondering if I was missing something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wow, the one hit kill move with the blades seems to work on anything that isn't a full on boss. I think you need the charged backhand unlocked to use it, or maybe it just uses the same input. Eye strike is good for creating an opening for it, but not required.

KidDynamite posted:

I think level 2 is that way because even with the shortcut you get 3 shrines. I haven't gotten past 4 yet so I don't know if that holds true for the rest of the game but:
level 1 shortcut has you skip 2 shrines
level 3 shortcut direct to boss has you skip 2 shrines or you can take the shortcut up the stairs to only skip 1

Are you sure about level 1? I thought that whether you took the shortcut or not you get two shrines, since there's one exclusive to the shortcut and one exclusive to the full route. Unless I'm missing one on the full route.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know where the locked door in the club that you get a key for in the museum is? I've scoured the place and just can't find it, although I think I remember seeing it at least once.

Yang is hard.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Play posted:

Do tell! I've never understood the scoring but assumed it has to do with speed, variety, and not taking damage but it's hard to actually know how it works.

I think each enemy has a point value and you just get that value times the multiplier when you beat them. Taking hits lower the multiplier, I know parrying and finishers raise it, there are probably other things that raise it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Haven't had a chance to try this myself as I just unlocked it last night but I remember where the door is.

After the group fight right as you enter the club and then the kicking woman that you fight on the dance floor, the door on the left side of the room will open and two more enemies come in. Next to the door that just opened is the locked door for that code. (Opposite side of the room from the keycard door you'd normally go through to start the shortcut route)

That was it, thanks. Fun stuff in there!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Beat it! I entered the last level at 38 and won at 75, with my only deaths being to the boss. Dude is nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Artelier posted:

Aight, beat Sifu at Age 58. The ending tells me that there is some way to submit opponents and make them stop fighting (to presumably get a good ending)? I assume that's what it's telling me since the ending, while appropriate, feels abrupt AND kicks you back to age 20.

You have to break their structure in the second stage of the fight, wait for them to recover, break it again, and select the spare dialog. Getting good at parry is helpful (necessary?). I've seen a guide saying you need to do nothing but parry, but that's bogus. Sparing the other 4 bosses is way easier than even beating Yang, imo.