Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

quote:

From Sloclap, creators of acclaimed PS4 fighting game Absolver, Sifu follows a young kung fu student on a path of revenge, hunting for the murderers of his family. One against all, he has no allies and countless enemies. He will have to rely on his unique mastery of kung fu to prevail and preserve his family's legacy.

French studio Sloclap, the only studio to my knowledge to really try and bring somewhat legit, complex kung fu to video games, has released their new game Sifu. It's unique, fun, and no-joke difficult. That difficulty I think may inspire some discussion, I'm definitely interested to learn from better players about how to best play this game. Because to be honest, I am NOT GREAT and after two runs I struggle to finish the first level under 50 years old. Probably I just need more practice, like any neophyte kung fu master.

Also, the music is absolutely banging. They nailed it on that score, pun intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ichabod Tane posted:

Sorry OP, I gave Absolver an enormous effort to try and like it but I have to say, it was a huge piece of poo poo. Not optimistic for this one. Is it coop? Multiplayer?

nope and nope. I've never played Absolver but I could tell it wasn't for me. A similar but better-looking, more grounded, single player experience, however, is way more up my alley.

Tirranek posted:

I tried their previous game and it didn't work for me. I think a big reason for that was MP part, which always felt like you needed to metagame or be god-level from the start to not get rolled. This being SP suits it much better I think.

I just need to avoid those forward kicks that keep hoofing me into walls :argh:

Agreed, I wouldn't play this if it were MP. No freaking way.

And for me my nemesis is the goddamned weapons. Always owning my poo poo. And timing the dodge is just really hard usually.

The Moon Monster posted:

I just got this and did the first level at age 35, I think. Seems pretty cool. I tend to do great when I have a weapon and the enemies don't, but get my rear end kicked repeatedly in the opposite situation. Imagine that! Moves that knock enemies over seem really good.

I had no idea a female player character was an option, I watched a decent amount of prerelease footage and it exclusively showed the male PC.

Yeah same with the weapons. They suck. I wish there was an easier way to get enemies to drop them.

And I went man because it just fits a little better for me especially with the whole Hong Kong action film vibe. But playing the lady might be fun too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

anatomi posted:

I finished the first zone at age 64 or something. Not very good at this ... But it's fun and hella stylish.

That was my first run too, like 62 I think it was.

Did a run through level one last night and did even worse I was above 60 when I reached the final boss. Then a fatal error closed the game which was disappoining. Not sure why but I must've gotten cute, I'm still trying to perfect parrying and dodging which is so so key but so difficult too.

By the way, do you need to choose an upgrade five times in the same run to permanently unlock it or can you spread it out through many runs? I assume many?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tirranek posted:

Managed to get to level two at 25 mostly by blind luck, but man when you get the hang of a certain enemy type you can just style on them.

you bastard. tell me your secret and/or surrender your life force to me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the first zone has a shortcut where you can basically go from spawn directly to the drug lab in like 20 seconds flat, completely circumventing the upper floors.

Tell me how that works, how do you unlock it.

quote:

I'm liking this quite a bit so far, though it does feel hard as balls. I don't think I've quite gotten my head around the various defenses yet, the game uses Parry/Deflect/Avoid seemingly interchangeably but without really explaining what those are.

I totally agree. I just feel like they didn't explain that well enough and I'm still confused at how they work a little. Like, you have to time your dodges while blocking and you can dodge low or high attacks. I get that. You can't hold dodges, right?

Is it better to try and parry the first attack of a combo then block the rest? Dodge the rest? Parry them all? I guess I just haven't gotten the timing quite right. I'm usually too late because I'm trying to do it right when the strike hits me so the timing must be different than that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

KonvexKonkav posted:

In general, I try to go towards parries. However, if my structure (why didn't they just call it posture?) is getting high, I try to use avoids since those will decrease it again. I also try to avoid attacks that are telegraphed by glowing limbs since those will deal massive structure damage, even on parry.

Avoid like hold the block button and hit the stick up or down, not like use the dodge right trigger correct?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

thewizardofshoe posted:

Yeah you can avoid to the left and right too, discovering this was a huge game changer for me. Still struggling on level 2 tho, I should probably just accept getting it through it at a high age for the first time. Only hit 32 on my first run through the first level, but with a death counter of like 5. Now I've got it down to 27 and 0 I think it's time to keep moving forward for now.

So dodging to the left and right.... does it look different but do the exact same thing as dodging down? Or is it literally the same move?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Also someone please tell me how that shortcut in level 1 works, how do you activate that thing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Play through level 1 normally. Look around and you'll find the key to the locked gate that you see right at the start when you enter the apartments (before you go up the stairs).
Once you've got the key, any time you go into the level you can go through that gate instead which skips a large chunk of the level.

ooooOOOoo no loving way. I could've done that last run just didn't know lol. that should help a lot, no matter how good you are in the rooms with a lot of enemies you are usually going to take damage

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Circle on PS5

you have to hold it too. I think?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

For my part thanks to the tips I picked up today from you guys I beat the first boss at 26. And I'm sure I can take that down by three deaths at least, I got cocky in one of the rooms that has a lot of guys and didn't take my time properly.

The avoid is huge though. Sometimes I trigger the parry instead, and sometimes I gently caress them both up and just get a normal block, but either way that's a win.

Then I got through the club really easily up to the point past two easy big dudes where some ladies said betting is closed for the day. They looked like pushovers so I went straight to them expecting to knock them out quick but they... were not. They landed this move twice that is huge damage where they flip over a partition and come down heel first on your head. Whoops

Still, beating the first level so young and getting another permanent unlock is good progress for the day. You might not realize it but the game saves quite frequently, you can pretty much quit and take it up wherever you want even mid level.

Now I'm gonna play some slightly more chill stuff, this game makes me tired.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Okay, I have an interesting question for you all. A lot of fighting just involves moving smoothly from defense to offense.

Say you parry an attack, or dodge the final attack in a combo and the enemy is ripe for attacking.

What is the combo that will do the MOST damage the FASTEST? As it is I just kind mash poo poo randomly, usually starting with a quick attack but ending with one or two strong attacks. But I'm wondering if there isn't a better strategy there, some combo that is most effective.

symphoniccacophony posted:

With staffs most of the time it's block + DOWN to dodge (unless it's a foot sweep, then it's a block + up). Also if you do a focus mode leg sweep that should make her drop her weapon.

Yeah I THINK I permanently unlocked the leg sweep focus mode.

It's kind of annoying because I"m hamstringing myself since I usually just go straight for one thing over and over to try and unlock it. You have to do it in the same run, if you go back to the same level you started without getting all 5 it'll go back to needing 5 to unlock.

That's one of the weirder systems in the game, tbh.

Grem posted:

gently caress me what's the best way to best the big fat guys? They take decades away from me every time.

There's different types of fat guys, best way is weapons obviously, leg sweep is good, apart from that get in some hits then get further away and prepare to avoid/dodge. Their grabs and most of their hits ignore block so avoiding/dodging is important.

(To be clear, in my nomenclature AVOID is when you are blocking and move the left stick, DODGE is using the right trigger to actually create distance).

Ciaphas posted:

should i be interested in this as someone who loves sekiro to death but absolutely loathes fighting games of all stripes

It's a LOT like Sekiro and not very much like a fighting game. It's like a 3D beat em up Sekiro-like

Artelier posted:

Btw I managed to beat Stage 2 with no death, so my tips for those struggling is:

Phase 1 - afaik, all his attacks are high, so stand still, dodge low up to 4 times, then hit with a short, quick combo.

Phase 2 - he starts mixing in a low attack, but only during the first two hits of a combo. So to make it easy, block the first two hits of any combo, and repeatedly dodge the following high attacks (you'll regain your stance bar by dodging), and do quick combos when you can. He likes to dash back without completing his combo, if you have the dash forward kick you can try to chase him but the safe, steady, guaranteed victory play is to just wait some more until he commits to a combo finisher before trying to do your attacks.

The trickiest move is that his wild upwards swing seems to be ever so slightly slower and it seems like it only comes as attack 4 onwards, so I recommend just holding off on the dodge until the last possible second.

This method can be slow, but I've done it a few times in a row now, because I wanted to go into stage 3 with no more than 5 lives lost. Yes, I can kill the boss consistently, but also gently caress the two assholes before him.

Someone mentioned it but also THERE ARE STAFFS on the walls of the arena. Multiple. Get them to make it a much quicker job.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

This isn't true, if you buy say 3/5 of a permanent unlock, next game you have to buy the temporary unlock and then the other 2/5

Are you sure that isn't just if you're moving from one level to the next, which is basically counted as the same 'run'? Pretty sure I noticed that I got one down to 3x purchase unlock then when I started first level again it was at 5x purchaser unlock.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

It kinda depends on the enemy and how quickly they will recover to start blocking you mid-combo but if I have the opportunity to go ham on one person at a time I'll do that combo that goes Heavy Heavy Light Heavy (it ends up doubling them over and you elbow them in the back of the head to put them down) and then I will beat them on the ground until they get up and if I have Focus I'll do one of those attacks to do damage and open them back up again. I haven't unlocked any of the Chase moves yet though so those would also be great for easily extending a combo.

EDIT: Assuming there's nothing around you. Because the best thing to do is knock them into a wall or off a ledge. Almost all your moves and combo strings have either knockback or knockdown so if you have an opening and you can send them into something that's the best bang for your buck. The Light Light Heavy combo is bread and butter for that.

Awesome! That's a good submission, gonna give that combo a try, it does sound pretty high-damage just based on your description. A lot of the attacks, both player and enemy, scale to kind of exactly what you'd expect. So if it looks painful it probably is, if it looks weak it probably is. Which is cool.

weekly font posted:

Is there a way to throw people off of/out of things. There are so many juicy ledges and windows that dont have breakable glass that look great for human consumption. Plus there’s the throw a guy into the fountain achievement which I assume is for the museum and I have no idea how to make that happen.

Light Light Heavy can push enemies back, there's also an unlockable thing where a parried enemy can be grabbed and moved somewhat, as well as I think one where an attacking enemy can be sent behind you. Haven't tried the second two though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, it's cheaper to do it all in one run though since the initial unlock doesn't count towards the permanent unlock. So if you do it all in one run you need to pay the exp price 6 times, 7 times over two runs, 8 times over three etc.

Well that's good at least, glad that wasn't the case because it seemed real stupid.

mistermojo posted:

ok yeah now that I’m holding deflect and hitting down instead of spamming deflect and dodge I’m doing so much better

Yeah at its base what makes avoid so powerful is that since you're HOLDING block, if you miss the avoid you are still blocking. Two good outcomes.

I still go for parries by moving between attacking and defending at the right time, but I'm much more focused on avoid and it's helped a whole lot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

signalnoise posted:

If you tap your block button, you will try to deflect and you'll get the deflect with good timing. Blocking will block at all attack heights, and so will deflecting, so if your timing is good, you can deflect that sweep instead of dodging it because there is no low or high deflect, there's just deflect. If you do it well, you'll get the good timing instead of a lovely guard that hurts your structure. Your structure should be used as basically attempts to parry, because you can get structure back very fast through dodging.

A little confusing because you use both parry and deflect here, they're the same thing right? One note: you CAN deflect as you go into holding guard and get ready for an avoid. Happens all the time with me, sometimes even on purpose.

Here's the nomenclature I think we should use though:

Guard/block (I prefer guard but whatever): holding the shoulder button to block all attacks.
Deflect: blocking at the right moment which damages an enemy's structure and opens them up further attacks
Avoid: holding the guard/block button and pushing either up, down or to the sides. Generally flashes white when done correctly on an enemy attack.
Dodge: Right trigger, actually moves the player character in a direction.

Then of course light and heavy attacks are pretty self-explanatory, as are focus attacks and ground punish attacks.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I started a fresh run on the first level and died to the first enemy to grab this screenshot:

Alrght, cool! Little confused why it didn't look that way to me but happy it is that way. Must've just looked at the wrong thing maybe. Or maybe I only did it once and thought that would do it, but the very first unlock doesn't count right?

Also, I think it's this way but want to make sure: restarting the first level won't lose me anything, correct? I already passed it in my 20s but I'd like to do better. It will only erase my other one if I do it younger right?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

It's kind of confusing because the game itself uses multiple terms. Guard is to go into the stance, Deflect is to momentarily block, but if you time the Deflect right it acts as a Parry.

Yeah that's dumb because what they are calling 'Deflect' is just a short Guard, nothing else. So there's no need for two terms there imo

Anyways not trying to get all anal about it, the biggest one I think is differentiating avoid and dodge, those two terms make sense to me because dodge calls to mind more movement while avoid matches well with what it actually is

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

I forget if it's from the game or not but I see so many people online use "sway" for Avoid but maybe that's just for specifically Avoiding left/right.

Oh no you don't!!! Sway gtfo!!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Any time you restart you will lose all your moves that aren't permanently unlocked, but progress toward that permanent unlock won't be lost. So, say you have a move that you bought, then bought 2 toward the permanent. If you restart the level, you won't have the move anymore, but next time you buy the move you'll keep that 2 progress torward permanence.

The only way to lose fully permanently unlocked moves is to pick new game from the main menu.

I have no fuckin idea what happens to shrine bonuses I've mostly been replaying the first two stages grinding moves and trying to learn how poo poo works.

I just meant in terms of the age I beat it at. So if I go back to level one, do it again but this time do worse, I'll still be able to continue at the youngest age?

I'm, like, 99% sure that's how it is just wanted to make absolutely certain.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It does seem a little unfair. I can survive falling ten feet and I'm not even a kung fu master

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fnox posted:

Get the projectile grab. You just gotta remember you have it but it'll help with not getting hit by flying bottles and some specific boss moves.

The flat out best first unlock is the focus sweep. The second best probably is either the dodge when downed, maybe some of the other focus moves. Anything that knocks people down is a godsend in group fights.

Dodge when downed is native, I think? Attack while downed is the one you can unlock. Or maybe I'm totally wrong but I had downed dodging on the first level and don't remember unlocking it or anything.

JBP posted:

I wish you could just reset your best age or something. I hosed up doing the whole of level one and died twice so I didn't get to record new upgrades. I want to lock in focus bar and focus on parry/dodge because it makes difficult opponents much less like to get the jump and cost you.

Weapon durability is pretty good but I feel like the structure upgrade is also strong. Then again taking weapon durability early seems like a good get because I don't see myself being 20 something for this entire game.

Hmm that's a good point. Really it would be best to finish the first level young and WITHOUT taking the shortcut. Because you will have more XP and more opportunities to upgrade your structure/takedown health/etc.

And it would suck if you lock yourself in to a really young run where you kind of screwed up the upgrades. I guess luckily in your case you COULD push to do it right without dying at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Operant posted:

I cannot get the parry time down in this game worth my god drat life.

avoiding is easier and if you miss it you'll still block, do that instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I am learning a lot about how to get a high score now

Do tell! I've never understood the scoring but assumed it has to do with speed, variety, and not taking damage but it's hard to actually know how it works.