Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I asked in the beat-em-up thread but what is the way to speed up the fight against the Club boss? It takes so long by waiting to get in hits until after his combos and doing such paltry damage each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

trigger9631 posted:

One way is to grab a staff from the racks at the sides of the room. You’ll still need to dodge his combos but I find the staff deals out more damage than regular punches.

I used up all of them on his first stage!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The annoying thing about redoing a stage is that you can't change your shrine choices without beating that stage at a lower age, so if you no-death the level(s) you're forever locked into what you did at the shrines unless you start a brand new game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DuffMayhem posted:

Is this confirmed? I thought I saw somewhere that the following stage will always keep your lowest life count, but that your shrine choices will carry over from your most recent clear regardless of age. I can’t say for certain and can’t test this out until later. The overlapping systems are pretty obtuse regardless.

I've seen people specifically checking and keeping track, I'm taking them at their word. I don't pay enough attention or remember my shrine choices to have confirmed it personally.

Play posted:

Okay, I have an interesting question for you all. A lot of fighting just involves moving smoothly from defense to offense.

Say you parry an attack, or dodge the final attack in a combo and the enemy is ripe for attacking.

What is the combo that will do the MOST damage the FASTEST? As it is I just kind mash poo poo randomly, usually starting with a quick attack but ending with one or two strong attacks. But I'm wondering if there isn't a better strategy there, some combo that is most effective.

It kinda depends on the enemy and how quickly they will recover to start blocking you mid-combo but if I have the opportunity to go ham on one person at a time I'll do that combo that goes Heavy Heavy Light Heavy (it ends up doubling them over and you elbow them in the back of the head to put them down) and then I will beat them on the ground until they get up and if I have Focus I'll do one of those attacks to do damage and open them back up again. I haven't unlocked any of the Chase moves yet though so those would also be great for easily extending a combo.

EDIT: Assuming there's nothing around you. Because the best thing to do is knock them into a wall or off a ledge. Almost all your moves and combo strings have either knockback or knockdown so if you have an opening and you can send them into something that's the best bang for your buck. The Light Light Heavy combo is bread and butter for that.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 9, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Play posted:

A little confusing because you use both parry and deflect here, they're the same thing right? One note: you CAN deflect as you go into holding guard and get ready for an avoid. Happens all the time with me, sometimes even on purpose.

Here's the nomenclature I think we should use though:

Guard/block (I prefer guard but whatever): holding the shoulder button to block all attacks.
Deflect: blocking at the right moment which damages an enemy's structure and opens them up further attacks
Avoid: holding the guard/block button and pushing either up, down or to the sides. Generally flashes white when done correctly on an enemy attack.
Dodge: Right trigger, actually moves the player character in a direction.

It's kind of confusing because the game itself uses multiple terms. Guard is to go into the stance, Deflect is to momentarily block, but if you time the Deflect right it acts as a Parry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I forget if it's from the game or not but I see so many people online use "sway" for Avoid but maybe that's just for specifically Avoiding left/right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Left/right is the exact same thing as down. The game doesn't distinguish.

The game doesn't but I was wondering if players were making a distinction. It's definitely helped me that the game doesn't care because only needing Circle + Down (I remapped my controls) 90% of the time instead of needing the exact correct movement is far easier. I was playing it like Punch-Out when I first got the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

weekly font posted:

I think the biggest enemy in this game might be geometry. You get your back to a wall or couch or table and you're turbofucked.

Works both ways though. Use the Invert Dodge move and now they're the ones against the wall. Regular throw might work as well but I haven't tried to see if works to pull an enemy towards and then behind you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It would be cool to have a recovery for falling. Like a parkour roll.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

signalnoise posted:

I keep finding ways that the game is even better than I realized. This time, it's about the combos, and why the game looks fluid as gently caress even if you're mashing.

Bottom line is here: Any combo can be started by either a light or a heavy attack.

Yes, I mean that as in, all of the combos in the combo list, as long as they're just a list of button presses with nothing special about them, this seems to work. This is important for two reasons. First, it matters more that you know how a combo ends than you remember the entire attack string, but also that you can get in a jab and still finish with a back breaker combo against a very slippery boss that dodges right after attacking. That kind of thing. The other reason this is important is because it means no matter what combo you're on, the button you're on can be the first button of a different combo. You can just flow right into that, and be one beat ahead of the situation. Also, because mashing won't get you any combo endings, but you're flowing back and forth between combos all the time anyway, you look cool as poo poo no matter what you do

Finally, the fact that this means the inclusion of the back breaker combo is actually important because it makes it a complete system is just :allears: for me

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean but last night I was doing Back Breakers (H H L H) by alternating H and L.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wish you could learn some of the enemies' moves or at least a variation. Those two girls in the club behind the bar who can flip over the counter and come down with a fierce axe kick have me wondering why the player doesn't also get a Vault attack. That would be Jackie Chan as gently caress to dodge one person by going over a bench into a kick to someone else's face.

The fat guy bodyslam could totally work as a Focus attack.

Seems like a lot of normal enemies have that Superman punch that would be more satisfying than the running Light Attack we get.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's also a secret move that is from Absolver. It's almost purely for style though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

weekly font posted:

I forget if it's just text or it's a model but some of the artifacts in the museum are from Absolver-land.

The move is related to one of them!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I really need more attacks that hit grounded targets, the two punch and the sweep get a little samey.

What, are you too honourable to throw a glass bottle at someone's head when they're trying to get up?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Has anyone found any attacks that flowing claw works really well against? It's so stylish but I can't get it to actually land very reliably.

Do you mean the first swipe or the follow-up attacks? The follow-up Heavy kick is one of my favourite attacks. "Think I'm open? With my back turned? Wha-bam! Heel to the face to put you down."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Artelier posted:

I only noticed this yesterday so i am not certain yet (haven't tracked) but am pretty sure that enemies that will get a phase 2 upon being hit by a finisher have a very thin, almost transparent layer of white aura when facing them initially.

They do. Kind of like they have an aura just above their head. So you don't want to be doing Takedowns on just anybody as soon as you see the prompt.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I took a break from Sifu so I could... recreate a Sifu fight. It was in the back of my mind so I had to do it or it was going to keep bugging me. Now I can get back to getting better at Sifu and rejoining the convo about the most topical game on the world wide w--- sorry, what's that? You said there's some other game coming out tomorrow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMfHlelf8A

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can't you press the Pickup Weapon button to drop it instead of having someone trip you? Or is there something else in that tactic I'm missing?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's a beginner's strategy for the 3rd boss? In most games when you die to the boss you can redo it right away and that helps with learning patterns and maybe experimenting but it's so brutal to have to go through the entire museum again to get another shot at her :( I feel like I have such a low chance of learning her combos to properly Avoid. To get to her 2nd stage I mostly just ran around and tried timing when the end of her combo string would be to get in a few quick hits and then run away again like a wuss.

Also when I catch her kunais in the 2nd stage are they best kept to fight with or thrown right back in hopes of breaking her guard?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oxxidation posted:

the elevator key lets you skip directly to her for that reason

Good to know. Have to beat her first to keep the key.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oxxidation posted:

no you don’t. it’s part of your detective board, so it’s preserved between game overs. I was certainly using it

Hm, could have sworn keys for the club didn't work but I'm happy to be wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh good, I must have that one then because I made a point of beating her in order to get the secret move.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PantsBandit posted:

Trying to get the high score shrine on Museum and man this is not an easy level to do perfectly.

In particular the room with the two fat men on the 3rd floor, and the double kickboxer fight in the rain area. That rain one in particular suuuuucks, as soon as you start throwing punches at one of them the other one will sprint up and start attacking. And since they're constantly switching from sweeps to normals its just a lot to process.

You can break them up a bit by vaulting over the barriers. And if you can get a good Avoid or Parry in at the end of their string, try Throwing them into the barrier.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like I need a map for the Club. Does the level layout actually make sense or do you effectively teleport sometimes? I don't know what route I took the other day but I was trying to get as many enemies as possible and that didn't work out. I missed the whole pit section and that first mini-boss kickboxer guy.

Bushmaori posted:

The trick is to play half an hour a day until your muscle memory is overridden, by the way (if you dumb).

Definitely important to play consistently, especially if you're like me and still need to unlock all the moves. I'm not a complete fighter yet so it'll take time to think of my next move at reflex speed. The nut punch is a really good one to develop to that level. Also the Flowing Claw stance reverse sweep.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 21, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

signalnoise posted:

I went ahead and wrote this out for the unpopular game opinions thread so I might as well crosspost it here

I want to appreciate your posts more but feel like I need to be a thousand times better at the game to get there. Kinda feels like you're listening to classical music and asking me to hear the nuances of each instrument while you're in the passenger seat of the rally car I'm driving and it's all I can do to stay on the road at any given second.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 22, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd be into it!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I want to say about this game is that I love how the environment really makes each fight. A problem I have with a lot of games that are otherwise great with combat is when the environment is largely inconsequential. The player and the enemies could fight in featureless flat voids and very little would be lost. But the walls and elevation and vaulting surfaces and usable objects are such huge and integral assets or liabilities during your fights in this game. The combat system is specifically designed with offensive and defensive moves to exploit and avoid the increased damage and structure impact of being knocked into stuff. Beyond the amazing fun of feeling like I'm fighting like Jackie Chan it's just fantastic gameplay.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Slocap released their update schedule. Sounds pretty awesome. Loving the potential of the replay editor coming in winter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It is a great 3D beat-em-up but there is both progression within each run and long-term progression between runs as you purchase more moves. At the time of release the default difficulty was tougher than most 3D brawlers but there are more options now for lowering or increasing the difficulty. It requires good reflexes and focus on enemy placement and animations because the game is not generous with the timing and type of dodge/counter to perform. When you get good you really do feel the thrill of being an expert hand-to-hand fighter who can bob and weave and counter perfectly in a group of enemies like in your favourite martial arts movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sounds so cool. I like the fact that there's permanent unlocks, true rogue games can be a bit much at times. I'm between this and Neon White, the latter being cheaper but this being something I've wanted for a long time.

Yeah I'm not sure where in the rogue spectrum Sifu is. I suppose because there's no randomization it may fall outside that term and just simply be more of a classic arcade game but with long-term progression. In that sense it's more of a beat-em-up like the recent Streets of Rage 4 or TMNT game with permanent move and character unlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I got this and it's a delightful game. I don't know quite what I'm doing most of the time but it sure looks cool.

So just a few questions. The combos you unlock per run, stack up till eventually becoming "permanent" right? That is if I buy one in one run, then I only have to buy it 3 more times before it unlocks?

Or is it more like I buy it 3x in one run, and instead of needing it to buy it once more to unlock it permanently, I have to buy it again 3 more times plus the missing one?

Essentially, is it better to focus on getting one skill and one skill only over the matter of a run, or just get what you want as you slowly increase your permanent purchase counter?

2nd: The little shrines then let you get 9 different skills from more HP regain to reseting the death counter. Am I right in understanding those aren't permanent? Rather you can get them in every run as you like.

I beat the first boss last night at age 56 then died in the 2nd map. Today I tried the first boss again and got through at age 35 so I think that's progress!

I'm playing on normal.

Skills are unlocked permanently from buying it the required number of times, either from pouring XP into it during 1 run or buying it repeatedly across several runs. Though the second way is more expensive overall since you need to pay for the initial unlock in each run. I'd work on getting one move per run and use it a lot to commit it to memory, but don't worry about the moves that need 2 Focus bars until you can reliably increase the size of your Focus meter in a run using shrines.

The shrine upgrades are not permanent. They're tied to the risk & reward of playing each run. If you use shortcuts and avoid enemies you may have a better shot at staying alive but it will cost you score that could be used at the shrines and you may miss out on shrines overall.