Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Martiros Sarian - Illustration to 'Armenian folk tales'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Algund Eenboom posted:

Iwasaki Tsuneo integrates characters into his ink paintings, to emphasize the relation between humans and nature and the connection between all living things

This one in particular is outstanding. Do the characters say anything in particular?

exmarx posted:

george grosz, explosion

I love it. When's it from?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://www.moma.org/collection/works/80347

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

quote:

George Grosz's Explosion transports the horrors of World War I home, to Berlin. With a fiery glow in the background, collapsing high-rise buildings pinwheel around a black vortex. Windows shatter and smoke pours into the nighttime sky. Slices of half-naked body parts, embracing couples, and shadowy faces appear amid the chaos brought about by man-made, not natural, disaster. Grosz welcomed the purge of old society in this and other paintings showing cities in the throes of destruction that he made after he was discharged from the German army, in spring 1917, as "permanently unfit."

Ah, how very CSPAM

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah German expressionism is pretty cspam as an art movement

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just wanted to let posters know I like this thread and what they're doing.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

buck nin, putahi incandescent

Hand Knit posted:

Ah, how very CSPAM

ww1 had such a direct impact on culture, it's crazy

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

exmarx posted:

ww1 had such a direct impact on culture, it's crazy

Dulce et Decorum Est
BY WILFRED OWEN

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Utagawa Hiroshige 歌川 広重
Japanese, 1797-1858

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Maria Prymachenko - My Bouquet to Grain Growers

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rowena Morrell - The Color out of Space

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

quote:

Following the fall of Saddam Hussein in Iraq, art which appeared to be Morrill's original paintings King Dragon and Shadows Out of Hell were discovered hanging in one of his houses.[8][9] According to Morrill, they were copies, as she had sold the originals to a Japanese collector.[10]

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Mar 9, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
古池や 
蛙飛び込む 
水の音

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

fayum mummy portrait, ~150-170 ad

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gustave Dore - This greeting on thy impious crest receive

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
The Wilton Diptych. For when it was created and how it survived, it's breathtakingly pretty, and as far as works of astonishing hubris go I really don't think anybody had a higher opinion of themselves than Richard II, and while future monarchs certainly tried, having himself painted while he was 30 to be the boy king of his dreams being praised by all the saints of England and all the best heaven has to offer even going so far as to adorn the angels with the white hart adds a powerful repulsiveness to it which is a dichotomy I don't feel much in art.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lol at him giving two fingers to Jesus Christ himself

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Portrait of James I of England wearing the jewel called the Three Brothers in his hat by John de Critz (1605)

This awfully-named portrait has always been my absolute favorite of any monarch. James I/VI was more or less an unstoppable libertine with how much he liked his hot men and whoever was responsible for dressing him up for this one really hit it out of the park. I was fascinated by the Three Brothers as a child because I loved lost treasure, even though his daughter in law almost certainly ended up pawning it, and him just jaunting around with it on the most fabulous hat ever conceived is probably the closest I will get to being a monarchist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I never much cared for the American Romantics but I got to see Thomas Cole's "The Voyage of Life" in person and they are absolutely loving stunning

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Carlos II, Anonymous (c.1695)

It's not the most famous of him since people who could flatter Hapsburgs were by definition going to be more prominent but this particular picture of el hechizado always stuck with me more. It seems more sad and honest. It's pretty intense to think about just how hosed up and on a precipice Spain was at the time, they had nowhere to go but down with their imperial ambitions and were just one inbred king's bad day away from Louis next door having a field day. All the pictures of him radiate some real end of days bleakness and make it fairly easy to see why people could view this sort of rule as divine punishment.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Bonus: By far the single best Hapsburg portraiture produced in the 21st century. Yassify (2021)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zvahl posted:

Bonus: By far the single best Hapsburg portraiture produced in the 21st century. Yassify (2021)

Now this is art

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zvahl posted:

Carlos II, Anonymous (c.1695)

It's not the most famous of him since people who could flatter Hapsburgs were by definition going to be more prominent but this particular picture of el hechizado always stuck with me more. It seems more sad and honest. It's pretty intense to think about just how hosed up and on a precipice Spain was at the time, they had nowhere to go but down with their imperial ambitions and were just one inbred king's bad day away from Louis next door having a field day. All the pictures of him radiate some real end of days bleakness and make it fairly easy to see why people could view this sort of rule as divine punishment.

I listened to a podcast about him a while back and he really was a sad and pitiable person. He was less a monarch and more a victim of his incredibly powerful and hosed-up family.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zeroisanumber posted:

I listened to a podcast about him a while back and he really was a sad and pitiable person. He was less a monarch and more a victim of his incredibly powerful and hosed-up family.

It's really easy to forget that monarchy as an idea has some horrendous victims at every stratosphere of power, up to the top. I'm really not sure how to interpret most of the stories I read about anything personal regarding Carlos II, Henry VI, Isabel II and the like as anything but deeply tragic to them personally regardless of what the people who functionally owned them did with the power that originated from their royalty.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
However, as I've been more monarchist than I would normally like lately:

Une exécution capitale, place de la Révolution by Pierre-Antoine Demachy (1793)

What I really dig about it, other than the huge gelcap on the left and the dog, is the washed outness of it. The sky is so huge, but so pale, and really manages to provide a lot of contrast with how busy the rest is, and helps notice the details such as the aforementioned dog and is a good statement showing a truly awful monarch getting what he had coming, while still being no more than any of the other men there. The overall paleness really makes it feel dream-like, which is probably a feeling a lot of the French had at the time to contrast with the crazy reality.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Robert Doisneau. Pedestrians Looking at Painting of a Nude in Paris Antique Shop Window, 1948.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
The True Face of the Catholic Church (1934)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

portrait of madame gaudibert, claude monet

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

exmarx posted:

portrait of madame gaudibert, claude monet

Monet is why I can remember what impressionism means because I am very dumb about art, but his artistic need and instinct are what prove to me I can't be an artist as I have neither the intensity nor the willpower: "I one day found myself looking at my beloved wife's dead face and just systematically noting the colours according to an automatic reflex."

The colors in this one are very un-Monet especially if you're mostly used to his landscapes and plants which are very cool but it's hard to look at.

Camille Monet on Her Deathbed, Monet (1879)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > There should be a thread for posting OnlyFans

animist
Aug 28, 2018

this ones pretty good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Charley Harper - Limp on a Limb Wool Rug

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm not sure how popular Charley Harper is outside of Cincinnati but his work is everywhere there. there was a house near where i grew up that had a Charley Harper garage door but i think it's long gone at this point.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Young Woman Playing with a Cat, Jan van Bijlert (c1635)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Siegfried - by Thomas Theodor Heine (1921)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cloks posted:

I'm not sure how popular Charley Harper is outside of Cincinnati but his work is everywhere there. there was a house near where i grew up that had a Charley Harper garage door but i think it's long gone at this point.

I remember seeing his work a while back but completely forgot about it until recently. Rediscovering him is great, I love his work.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I got several of his prints he did for the government hanging up on the wall, very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maynard Dixon - Scab (1934)