Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
古池や 
蛙飛び込む 
水の音

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
The Wilton Diptych. For when it was created and how it survived, it's breathtakingly pretty, and as far as works of astonishing hubris go I really don't think anybody had a higher opinion of themselves than Richard II, and while future monarchs certainly tried, having himself painted while he was 30 to be the boy king of his dreams being praised by all the saints of England and all the best heaven has to offer even going so far as to adorn the angels with the white hart adds a powerful repulsiveness to it which is a dichotomy I don't feel much in art.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Portrait of James I of England wearing the jewel called the Three Brothers in his hat by John de Critz (1605)

This awfully-named portrait has always been my absolute favorite of any monarch. James I/VI was more or less an unstoppable libertine with how much he liked his hot men and whoever was responsible for dressing him up for this one really hit it out of the park. I was fascinated by the Three Brothers as a child because I loved lost treasure, even though his daughter in law almost certainly ended up pawning it, and him just jaunting around with it on the most fabulous hat ever conceived is probably the closest I will get to being a monarchist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Carlos II, Anonymous (c.1695)

It's not the most famous of him since people who could flatter Hapsburgs were by definition going to be more prominent but this particular picture of el hechizado always stuck with me more. It seems more sad and honest. It's pretty intense to think about just how hosed up and on a precipice Spain was at the time, they had nowhere to go but down with their imperial ambitions and were just one inbred king's bad day away from Louis next door having a field day. All the pictures of him radiate some real end of days bleakness and make it fairly easy to see why people could view this sort of rule as divine punishment.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Bonus: By far the single best Hapsburg portraiture produced in the 21st century. Yassify (2021)

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zeroisanumber posted:

I listened to a podcast about him a while back and he really was a sad and pitiable person. He was less a monarch and more a victim of his incredibly powerful and hosed-up family.

It's really easy to forget that monarchy as an idea has some horrendous victims at every stratosphere of power, up to the top. I'm really not sure how to interpret most of the stories I read about anything personal regarding Carlos II, Henry VI, Isabel II and the like as anything but deeply tragic to them personally regardless of what the people who functionally owned them did with the power that originated from their royalty.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
However, as I've been more monarchist than I would normally like lately:

Une exécution capitale, place de la Révolution by Pierre-Antoine Demachy (1793)

What I really dig about it, other than the huge gelcap on the left and the dog, is the washed outness of it. The sky is so huge, but so pale, and really manages to provide a lot of contrast with how busy the rest is, and helps notice the details such as the aforementioned dog and is a good statement showing a truly awful monarch getting what he had coming, while still being no more than any of the other men there. The overall paleness really makes it feel dream-like, which is probably a feeling a lot of the French had at the time to contrast with the crazy reality.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
The True Face of the Catholic Church (1934)

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

exmarx posted:

portrait of madame gaudibert, claude monet

Monet is why I can remember what impressionism means because I am very dumb about art, but his artistic need and instinct are what prove to me I can't be an artist as I have neither the intensity nor the willpower: "I one day found myself looking at my beloved wife's dead face and just systematically noting the colours according to an automatic reflex."

The colors in this one are very un-Monet especially if you're mostly used to his landscapes and plants which are very cool but it's hard to look at.

Camille Monet on Her Deathbed, Monet (1879)

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Young Woman Playing with a Cat, Jan van Bijlert (c1635)

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ekuNNN posted:

Ivan Puni - Armed workers in a motorcar, 1918

Konstantin Yuon - New Planet, 1921

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

mark hogancamp, marwen

this stuff rules

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот