Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was always gonna keep it. If they ain't taking it from Polanski they sure as poo poo ain't taking it from Will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they fear getting slapped...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Not sure you can revoke an award when it's a tangible object. I suppose you could go "give it back or we'll punish you" but, eh, better to just skip to the punishment.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They can totally revoke an award, even if they don’t manage to get the trophy back.

But the result of this investigation seems predetermined. Whoopi is the Academy’s governor and she came out, like, one day after the incident to say they wouldn’t take away his award.

This is just a slap on the wrist.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Vegetable posted:

This is just a slap on the wrist.

He's barred from attending the biggest entertainment industry event for a decade. In what universe is that a slap on the wrist? What other consequence is even available to an organization that basically does nothing but host events?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Not sure you can revoke an award when it's a tangible object. I suppose you could go "give it back or we'll punish you" but, eh, better to just skip to the punishment.

Fun fact I had to look up cause I only half-remembered it, but there's a whole thing where you kind of don't own the physical statue. Being a member of the Academy and accepting the award also means you agree to a bunch of rules, including the Academy getting right of first refusal for any future sale. You have to offer to sell it to them for $1 before you or your heirs sell it. And they already established some precedent with one lawsuit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/oscars-statues-are-only-worth-1.html

So, I guess at some point if they really wanted it back for symbolic reasons they'd have to sue him for it if he refused to hand it back. It'd be weirdly petty though and adding an extra asterisk onto the whole event is definitely not what they wanted. Also it'd trigger even more articles about the worse poo poo that they'd forgiven in the past. That said, If it had been revoked, I'd be curious if he'd still technically be the winner or if 2nd place would move up.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Fun fact I had to look up cause I only half-remembered it, but there's a whole thing where you kind of don't own the physical statue.

Good to know, thanks.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That said, If it had been revoked, I'd be curious if he'd still technically be the winner or if 2nd place would move up.

I know in the past when winners have refused their awards the academy didn't go and give it to the runner-up. I'm actually not sure whether they're still technically considered the winner or if it's counted as "no award this year" and whether the same principle would apply to a case of revocation, but in any case I can't see them going and awarding someone else, it'd be forever tainted with "*not the REAL winner."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They're still declared the winner even if they refuse it. I'm sure you can find George C Scott's trophy at that Oscar museum.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Baronash posted:

He's barred from attending the biggest entertainment industry event for a decade. In what universe is that a slap on the wrist? What other consequence is even available to an organization that basically does nothing but host events?

The death penalty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
At least some people are having fun with this

https://twitter.com/alexcollyard/status/1512802600579702788