Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
didn't they do this attempt to do this last year and get chided for it? way to be even more of an embarressment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I always knew there had to be someone, somewhere, that skips through the musical segments of Fantasia 2000 and watches the celebrity skits.

I just didn't know they were running the Oscars.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Oscars would be best (not necessarily good though) if they just ignored the fact that it was broadcast and played it straight as a insular award show. Go for sincere instead of throwing in stupid bits

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

To be honest if people already complain the Oscar’s are way too long, they don’t really get to whine about a few awards — the ones they really didn’t care about — getting cut.
The Oscars are for old people who are going to watch regardless and for film nerds who like seeing the shorts. You could cut down the Oscars till like an hour and nobody's gonna give a poo poo and start watching who hasn't already.

Score is particularly stupid though because it's something people can recognize about a movie.

Anyway, important question, is Meatloaf gonna be done dirty by the In Memoriam?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Oscars are for old people who are going to watch regardless and for film nerds who like seeing the shorts. You could cut down the Oscars till like an hour and nobody's gonna give a poo poo and start watching who hasn't already.

Score is particularly stupid though because it's something people can recognize about a movie.

Anyway, important question, is Meatloaf gonna be done dirty by the In Memoriam?

I could understand maybe making some Oscars awarded at the Governor's Awards like the shorts but don't replace them with dumb comedy skits.

As for Meatloaf, between Rocky Horror and Fight Club he has enough film cred to be included. He should be lopped off due to his death by irony via Covid but given how the Academy thinks it's OK to be antivax, why bother?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Disappointed there’s no Green Knight or Pig. Cage should have gotten an actor nod.

This being said Dune vs Macbeth for cinematography and such is tough. Both looked great.

Then again they grow more irrelevant and I’m not sure I care to watch

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The shame is that the Acting Noms are actually pretty good besides the atrocious I Love Lucy movie getting noms that Cage and Haim deserved.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is Powerful Dog actually good has anyone in the world actually seen it?

It’s easily my favourite of the best picture noms but I consider this year pretty weak. I have yet to see Dune, Drive My Car and West Side Story though.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah Power of the Dog was great, easily the best performance I’ve seen from Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst is incredible in it, as is Kodi Smit-Mcphee. And the Jonny Greenwood score is really good, I’m sure it’ll lose to Dune though, even though I like it a lot more.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Apparently Sam Elliot disagrees

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

When I first saw Power Pup on theaters I didn't think much of it but when I saw it on Netflix with my parents I could appreciate Cumberbatch's performance much better. It's a much more complicated role than it seems on first blush, but really one complex character a great movie does not make. I wouldn't object to it winning, but it's far from my favorite movie of the year.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Colonel Whitey posted:

Apparently Sam Elliot disagrees

Lol I just looked it up and holy poo poo, what a take. As he was saying it, I was like ‘that is literally what the movies about, how could you-‘ then Marc Maron said the same thing.

Licorice Pizza is my favorite out of the movies up for best picture.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Holy gently caress the last duel didn't get a single nom?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

pospysyl posted:

When I first saw Power Pup on theaters I didn't think much of it but when I saw it on Netflix with my parents I could appreciate Cumberbatch's performance much better. It's a much more complicated role than it seems on first blush, but really one complex character a great movie does not make. I wouldn't object to it winning, but it's far from my favorite movie of the year.

Cumberbatch felt like he was in a different movie, like if someone dropped Daniel Plainview into The Assassination of Jesse James.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Strong Mutt is good and will likely win comfortably to the surprise of nobody and the anger of very few. I am a little baffled by the Plemons nod, however (and I'd probably take a couple of people over Smit-McPhee for the award itself).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stuff regarding the dropped categories:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1499731526577274882

quote:

Another governor of a branch that has lost a category from the live telecast, who wishes to remain nameless, says he was jarred when, over the summer, he received a call from Hudson explaining why significant changes to the format of the Oscars were necessary. This governor says that he was told that ABC had warned the Academy that it would cancel the Oscars telecast, via a clause in the Academy and ABC’s deal for the Oscars’ broadcasting rights, if 12 categories were not removed from the show. “We were told we’d have to sacrifice something or we were going to lose the whole show,” this governor recaps.

Extremely wild, what the hell is that contract even. I wish they kept all the categories in and dared ABC to pull the plug.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
lmao what the hell Ava

quote:

Ava DuVernay, a governor of the directors branch, responded, “Respectfully, and I had no part in the decision, but the word ‘excluded’ is a powerful one for many. It has a particular and heightened meaning to many. And as the music branch winners and nominees and speeches will be fully included in the broadcast, I think it’s important to call things by their right name so as not to minimize the meaning of true exclusion in these spaces.”

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I agree, all those people who compared kicking out the Best Editing Oscar from the live broadcast to the Chinese Exclusion Act were really insensitive.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 6, 2022

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm not even sure Censor was the best British horror film of 2021

night house would be your pick?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

night house would be your pick?

The Night House was my favorite horror movie of the year*, but I don't think it was British.

I was thinking of In The Earth.

*incidentally, Rebecca Hall was robbed, again.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1503206213579853826

Academy voting starts in three days, lol.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a reminder that all Hollywood types are self-obsessed idiots and there’s no amount of marginalization or oppression that can shake you out of that sense of self obsession.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Venus and Serena also got smoked by a guy who was slightly under the top 200 in men's tennis.

Make no mistake, they would annihilate any guy who's an amateur but not a professional.

By the way, she's apologised

https://deadline.com/2022/03/jane-campion-apologizes-serena-venus-williams-controversial-critics-choice-award-comment-1234978197/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it's a pretty cringe comment overall, so yeah...

Vegetable posted:

It’s a reminder that all Hollywood types are self-obsessed idiots and there’s no amount of marginalization or oppression that can shake you out of that sense of self obsession.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Night House was my favorite horror movie of the year*, but I don't think it was British.

I was thinking of In The Earth.

*incidentally, Rebecca Hall was robbed, again.

for some reason i thought it was a co-production

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1505682840855334914?s=21

A+ work on the Oscars this year.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
https://www.deadline.com/2022/03/oscar-presenters-2022-list-1234969901/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s entirely the fault of her studio

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vegetable posted:

That’s entirely the fault of her studio

That's Disney and she's working on Snow White for them now in Europe

It sucks but she’s not nominated and it'd be a logistical nightmare for her to go with almost no benefit so why bother?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 22, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Kareem Abdul-Jamar is right on the money here (even though I do like Nightmare Alley I can't disagree with his criticisms).

https://kareem.substack.com/p/the-3-most-disappointing-movies-of?s=r

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Hmm don’t think I agree with him. Lots of good best picture films, with Drive My Car confronting grief in a stronger way than Nomadland. And Martin Scorsese certainly does not agree with this view on Power of the Dog.

But I have to see Coda still.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I wasn't really clear on what we were supposed to take away from Power of the Dog. Cumberbatch was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone he met except his brother, who hated him, but then we find out that he has a vaguely sad backstory. And then he's murdered by someone who comes off as a psycho. That's sad? Good?

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I haven;t seen the movie. What superpower does the dog in it have? Can it fly?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BiggestBatman posted:

I haven;t seen the movie. What superpower does the dog in it have? Can it fly?
The dog is from a Bible verse so yeah probably.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
so what you have to do is find someone and tell them it is a technical Oscar. you gotta emphasize that. and then oh yeah they will gimp

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Island Nation posted:

That's Disney and she's working on Snow White for them now in Europe

It sucks but she’s not nominated and it'd be a logistical nightmare for her to go with almost no benefit so why bother?

https://twitter.com/rachelzegler/status/1506769350451208201?s=21&t=ln-wJByR-TkyMWjUn4vlMA

Looks like Disney moved some things around and The Academy added her as a presenter so now she gets to go.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 24, 2022

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

live with fruit posted:

I wasn't really clear on what we were supposed to take away from Power of the Dog. Cumberbatch was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone he met except his brother, who hated him, but then we find out that he has a vaguely sad backstory. And then he's murdered by someone who comes off as a psycho. That's sad? Good?

I think Campion would say that it just sort of is. Phil cultivates a toxic veneer to repress his homosexuality. Peter is less of a character, which I guess could be seen as one of the bigger criticisms of the movie, and more the manifestation of something more true and primal than Phil can manage with all of his artifice and bluster. Phil is afraid that if he lets down his masculine façade he will be punished, an idea which the movie seems to agree with because he immediately is. Peter cares deeply about his mother he just doesn't really seem to care about anything else. He is in a way reminiscent to me of David in A.I. But this view comes from my inability to read Peter as a traditional character in a film. He makes much more sense to me as a metaphorical force that seeks to correct the imbalance in his household and disabuse Phil of his understanding of masculinity's virtues for self protection.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
CODA is really fun and deserves Best Supporting Actor, but honestly it's a pretty basic indie drama. Like 2020's The Half of It is a movie with a very similar tone, plot, and I think is equal quality. I'm fine with it being nominated for sure, but realistically it should be Power of the Dog vs West Side Story.

As for deeper meaning in Power of the Dog, Phil is a gay intellectual who has been desperately running away from this identity to accept a myth of a rugged and toxic cowboy. Peter is the representation of everything he is trying to not be: intellectual, openly feminine. The toxic cowboy myth is destroyed by this new sort of man and everyone is happier for it. I think McNutty is wrong with the idea that Phil is undone by dropping his cowboy facade. It's the facade and the misogyny that goes with it which is what leads to his murder.

EDIT: To be clear, it's a loving travesty that Zegler or Haim didn't get nominated over Kidman and frankly Stewart. She should have been invited because she was robbed or at least deserved to be snubbed by better performances.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 24, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I was surprised how silly CODA was at times. It really follows the Little Miss Sunshine Sundance formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna go see drive my car today, see if the hypes for real