Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I actually thought CODA was pretty bad. I went into it a month back ready to be charmed, but it was very contrived and saccharine in a lot of places, and the parents plotline and choir plotline basically feel like two different movies. The choir plotline feels like a Disney Channel movie.

The casting is a nice story and the performances are pretty good; but the movie as a whole doesn't work at all for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Gaius Marius posted:

Gonna go see drive my car today, see if the hypes for real

I've only seen 4 of the BP nominees but of those Drive My Car is the only one that was truly fantastic

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I haven't been watching as many movies the part couple years. Just not as able to get out and enjoy movies for some reason.

Reading the Oscar noms and not even recognizing most of the titles made me want to catch up a little so I've been watching some movies.

So far, Worst Person In The World and Parallel Mothers have been the best. I'd nominate them over Belfast or Dune all day every day.

It's really wild to me that Parallel Mothers didn't get an international film nomination, but I guess that is the kind of silly thing that happens when you have a weird nominee filter for a category.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For all the talk about what The Batman could have cut to get the runtime down, Drive My Car didn't need a full hour of play rehearsals.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

live with fruit posted:

For all the talk about what The Batman could have cut to get the runtime down, Drive My Car didn't need a full hour of play rehearsals.
On the contrary, Drive My Car would have been a much better movie if it was just play rehearsals. Easily the best moments of the film.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vegetable posted:

On the contrary, Drive My Car would have been a much better movie if it was just play rehearsals. Easily the best moments of the film.

I strongly disagree. The first 45 minutes are really phenomenal and make the entire movie. The actress who played his wife should be the frontrunner for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. The movie suffers once she's no longer on camera.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Yeah it needed more than an hour of them

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

There is no movie without the play rehearsals

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

There is no movie without the play rehearsals

The driver's not even in those scenes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Then whose driving the car?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Then whose driving the car?

Nobody. She's sitting in the lobby. Wait, is that a spoiler?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

live with fruit posted:

I agree, the movie completely lost me by the third act. I wouldn't say I'm opposed to long Murakami adaptations since I think Burning is one of the best films of the last decade, but Drive My Car just felt like too many stories jammed together.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's not too much to ask to have Drive My Car only include scenes about car driving. Similarly, In the Heat of the Night has many scenes taking place during the day, all of which should have been edited out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pospysyl posted:

I think it's not too much to ask to have Drive My Car only include scenes about car driving. Similarly, In the Heat of the Night has many scenes taking place during the day, all of which should have been edited out.

:hmmyes:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

live with fruit posted:

The driver's not even in those scenes.

lol what

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The relationship with the driver is just as important as him purging his trauma with the play. It felt like we spent an actual hour building up to his conversation in the car with the actor and it didn't have to take an entire hour.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

live with fruit posted:

The relationship with the driver is just as important as him purging his trauma with the play. It felt like we spent an actual hour building up to his conversation in the car with the actor and it didn't have to take an entire hour.

As you acknowledge, both parts are equally important and are crucial to the movie working.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

As you acknowledge, both parts are equally important and are crucial to the movie working.

I'm not saying take all the rehearsal scenes out, just be more economical about it. At a certain point, it felt like putting superlong quotes in an essay to reach a word count.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My problem with Drive My Car was that based on discourse I saw online I went in expecting "slow cinema" and instead got like, The Descendants with George Clooney with the ending to Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino tacked on.

Which is fine, I like those types of movies too but I'm kind of surprised so many people are finding DMC an even remotely challenging film.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
My big takeaway from The Lost Daughter is that Maggie Gyllenhaal really doesn't like Greek people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having now driven the car I can say it was extremely good. If I had known it was a Murakami adaption I probably wouldn't have gone seeing as that dude can't write for poo poo, but having actors put some semblance of emotion in his work brought it to life. Really did think it would be more of a road trip movie than it was though.

Raxivace posted:

Which is fine, I like those types of movies too but I'm kind of surprised so many people are finding DMC an even remotely challenging film.

I cannot imagine how people are finding a movie that constantly cuts into a play explaining the emotions the peeps are feeling as challenging. It's good, but not difficult at all.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I can see people getting frustrated by the story structure of three subplots intertwining (in this very thread, in fact!) but really, DMC is quite accessible.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Drive My Car is really good, but it’s first hour is an investment. It’s all to show you the aspects of the relationship and how there is really love between them. But also the lies too. In this way, you really feel the payoffs of the car conversation and later the one in Hokkaido.
The in movie play looks awesome though. And love some of the side characters like the mute Korean girl.

Power of the Dog is probably my pick, but gotta watch Coda still.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

checkplease posted:

Drive My Car is really good, but it’s first hour is an investment.

The first hour is the only part I felt really invested in. :shrug:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha funny how that works. It was the opposite for me. Wife was solid performance though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's that time of year when overly opinionated anonymous articles come out:

Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot No. 1: ‘Don’t Look Up’ Is a “One-Joke Movie,” ‘CODA’ Is “Excellent in Every Way”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-dont-look-up-coda-1235116095/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

As for the 10 that did get nominated? Drive My Car is not a bad movie, but it belongs in the international feature category, not here, just like Parasite did.

It's insane to me that people still think like this

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

I was looking forward to the new West Side Story, but apart from its opening sequence it is almost a carbon copy of the original; I know they’re emphasizing that they cast Latino and Latina actors this time, but the actress who plays Maria is named Rachel Zegler, so I think that’s a little overstated.

Hm.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I know Kirkblade has been alienated but will he be able to accept or present for CODA?

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Most interesting part of that is how his idea of what directors do is basically just what producers do. Amazing to watch the camerawork in West Side Story and declare Spielberg didn't do anything, or choose Branauhg because he made his film "economical"

What a joke

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i enjoy the brutally honest oscar ballots because they remind us how academy voters have porridge for brains and no one should take these awards as conferring anything resembling artistic merit

seen all the nominees and as always the only decent stuff is in the international and documentary categories. of the best picture candidates drive my car absolutely annihilates everyone else, and of the rest only power of the dog, nightmare alley and king richard are worthy contenders

EvenFlou
Mar 11, 2022

R. Guyovich posted:

i enjoy the brutally honest oscar ballots because they remind us how academy voters have porridge for brains and no one should take these awards as conferring anything resembling artistic merit

seen all the nominees and as always the only decent stuff is in the international and documentary categories. of the best picture candidates drive my car absolutely annihilates everyone else, and of the rest only power of the dog, nightmare alley and king richard are worthy contenders

I still haven't seen Drive My Car, looks good. But what about Dune?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's always incredible to see how people who work in the movie industry for a living can still have takes on par with rando internet comments like complaining how Licorice Pizza has "no story".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare Alley was pretty weak but it was better than The Shape of Water i guess

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Srice posted:

It's always incredible to see how people who work in the movie industry for a living can still have takes on par with rando internet comments like complaining how Licorice Pizza has "no story".

My favorite from past years was, I think, someone complaining about how political movies had gotten and refusing to vote for a movie because a cast or crew member had worn a shirt about police violence to some event...and then they went on to sing the praises of American Sniper as a beautiful biopic that just told a great story without all these drat politics. Full-on news site comments brain :). Really makes the bad beats hurt less.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m glad shape of water one bc it’s a monster genre flick where a lady fucks a fish man. It’s a step in the right direction for the Oscar’s to recognize genre films.

Maybe one day malignant 3 will make it there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

My favorite from past years was, I think, someone complaining about how political movies had gotten and refusing to vote for a movie because a cast or crew member had worn a shirt about police violence to some event...and then they went on to sing the praises of American Sniper as a beautiful biopic that just told a great story without all these drat politics. Full-on news site comments brain :). Really makes the bad beats hurt less.

It sure is something when they whine about some inconsequential nonsense to justify not voting for something they were totally gonna vote for until the person offended them by being ~political~. Heck, we got one of those this year too!

quote:

As much as I don’t care for The Power of the Dog, this is an area where I do believe it’s appropriate to give awards in order to reward a lifetime of work, so I was thinking about voting for Jane Campion, but she completely lost me with the Critics Choice Awards speech. She self-aggrandized herself by making it about how she has to compete with men, but that is by no means a detriment anymore; she is not the Rosa Parks of female directors, and The Power of the Dog is not a feminist film. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

As we all know, with Campion becoming the very first female director to receive a second Oscar nomination in her career we can safely say that sexism is now over.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The one that's stuck with me was the voter saying they felt they didn't have to vote for Selma because they'd voted for 12 Years a Slave the year previous.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

It's insane to me that people still think like this

It's probably still a popular sentiment. It reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVd2vzDPhT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair Parasite was mid