Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah, I think a lot of Oscar politics basically revolve around picks that make rich old white liberals feel good about themselves (and letting them excuse themselves for supporting organizations and politicians that value rigid status quo above all else) and everyone has that figured out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What would you guys say is the best "Oscar bait" movie? Like something like Amadeus checks a lot of the boxes, but that movie still kicks a lot of rear end.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan are up there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There will be blood if you count it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Too artsy.

I guess spotlight or room. Both good movies but I haven’t thought about them since they won.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ordinary People feels kind of like... prototypical of what was later viewed as Oscar bait maybe? And I really loved it but it's been a while.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Malcolm X jumps to mind.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Anyone remember The Artist?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I know I watched it but literally remember nothing about it except it's french, black & white, and about showbusiness (which is all pretty bait-y).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One interesting thing about Oscar Bait movies is that David Fincher has said that they're the only thing besides blockbuster movies that studios will greenlight anymore. So it's a pejorative term but it's also the way the game is played.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

live with fruit posted:

One interesting thing about Oscar Bait movies is that David Fincher has said that they're the only thing besides blockbuster movies that studios will greenlight anymore. So it's a pejorative term but it's also the way the game is played.

That’s just depressing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People come at the marvel movies because they're terrible, which they are. And are then countered by a "just don't watch them" but the drat things are sucking up all the oxygen in Hollywood. Promising directors are getting sucked up into making lovely hero movies, or live action Disney copyright holders instead of being allowed to make anything they'd like. Streaming is the only ones with money taking risks. But God only knows for how long.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

People come at the marvel movies because they're terrible, which they are. And are then countered by a "just don't watch them" but the drat things are sucking up all the oxygen in Hollywood. Promising directors are getting sucked up into making lovely hero movies, or live action Disney copyright holders instead of being allowed to make anything they'd like. Streaming is the only ones with money taking risks. But God only knows for how long.

I don't agree. I think there are two types of directors who get in bed with the big franchises: savvy ones who use the clout they build up to make more interesting movies/shows elsewhere, like Waititi and Lowery, and craven sellouts, like Treverrow. The cream rises to the top, basically.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The problem is not with marvel movies. The problem is not even with superhero movies sucking up the oxygen. The problem is there is not enough oxygen to begin with. Studios are being allowed to become increasingly monopolistic. Both mergers and the weakening of theaters work against seeing a lot of different types of movies. Why take risks when there is so little competition? Better to go with whatever is working. Why make stuff that fosters a theater going audience if your margins are better on your studios gated streaming service?

The movie industry isn't bleak because a type of blockbuster you don't like is the taste du jour. The movie industry is bleak because of capitalism.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Wittgen posted:

The problem is not with marvel movies. The problem is not even with superhero movies sucking up the oxygen. The problem is there is not enough oxygen to begin with. Studios are being allowed to become increasingly monopolistic. Both mergers and the weakening of theaters work against seeing a lot of different types of movies. Why take risks when there is so little competition? Better to go with whatever is working. Why make stuff that fosters a theater going audience if your margins are better on your studios gated streaming service?

The movie industry isn't bleak because a type of blockbuster you don't like is the taste du jour. The movie industry is bleak because of capitalism.

I saw Licorice Pizza at a megaplex at 4 in the afternoon and my ticket cost $5. And The Batman cost $12 at 11 in the morning.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Raxivace posted:

What would you guys say is the best "Oscar bait" movie? Like something like Amadeus checks a lot of the boxes, but that movie still kicks a lot of rear end.

Of the best picture winners Gandhi comes to mind.

I was trying to think of the least Oscar baited movies that won. Maybe Midnight Cowboy or Cimarron or All the King's Men.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

TheMopeSquad posted:

I know I watched it but literally remember nothing about it except it's french, black & white, and about showbusiness (which is all pretty bait-y).

I remember there was a dog in it who got famous for like a month

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Martman posted:

I think of it less in terms of a movie being made intentionally as "Oscar bait" and more about if it has aspects that will check certain boxes for the Academy at that time. Like, I wouldn't say 12 Years a Slave was Oscar bait by any means, but I felt super confident betting on it winning (while giving almost everything else to Gravity) without even having seen it because of the social context at that exact moment and the Academy wanting people to think they're progressive or whatever. And I'm not trying to criticize the movie itself at all, the Academy is just stupid. Similarly I expect them to drag their feet on seriously honoring any Asian movie for a bit after having given Best Picture to Parasite, because a bunch of old idiots probably feel like they're covered on that front for a while.

Then you have stuff like Crash beating Brokeback Mountain, and umm I dunno where I'm going with that but I got mad again

Brokeback Mountain is every bit the kind of garbage liberal wank piece that Crash is. It's a safe movie about how tragic it is to be gay made entirely by straight people. While everyone was breaking their arms patting themselves on the back for liking the "brave" movie about the sad homos actual queer voices continued to be kept far away from the mainstream.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zogo posted:

I was trying to think of the least Oscar baited movies that won. Maybe Midnight Cowboy or Cimarron or All the King's Men.
I forgot that The Departed won, and I think it's a fairly good answer... sadly I have not actually seen a ton of Best Picture winners, including all you mentioned. To the vast majority of viewers and judges I doubt it being an adaptation was noticed or even relevant, it barely touches on any kind of love story, and honestly I don't think it was really trying to say anything about society at large or the actual police or crime or corruption or whatever. It was just an extremely good crime thriller and I feel like it won for being insanely entertaining, well-made, and maybe just the Academy feeling like Scorsese deserved one at that point.

edit:

CPL593H posted:

Brokeback Mountain is every bit the kind of garbage liberal wank piece that Crash is. It's a safe movie about how tragic it is to be gay made entirely by straight people. While everyone was breaking their arms patting themselves on the back for liking the "brave" movie about the sad homos actual queer voices continued to be kept far away from the mainstream.
I can't really comment on this, but god drat it's a pretty serious accusation to say a movie was like Crash in any way.

My point wasn't so much that Brokeback Mountain had the perfect/better message or politics, but that Crash is just absolutely insanely bad and stupidly constructed but still had something in its idiotic message that gave the Academy some feeling of justification.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 6, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rocky maybe?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What's the more dangerous version of Brokeback Mountain?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snappedneck Revine

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Snappedneck Revine
Hacksaw Ridge?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

What's the more dangerous version of Brokeback Mountain?

Brokeback Mountain but being on the mountain constantly puts you in the unavoidable danger of actually breaking your back.

CelticPredator posted:

Snappedneck Revine

Okay, I laughed way too hard at this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wittgen posted:

I can’t take complaints like this seriously. Every year plenty of indie and international films that are different and interesting get made. These films come out regardless of Hollywood’s flavor of the week. You’d know this for a fact if you followed the industry beyond watching only the Oscars (and then complaining about it).

None of y’all watch any of that stuff even when they somehow manage two weeks of wide release and then you whine about a dying movie industry. This is some Old Man Yells At Cloud poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tubi has a billion movies that were made with no budget and put on a streaming platform for anyone to watch.

A lot of them are garbage! But it felt like a lot of the bad stuff had no heart. However something like Halloween at aunt Ethel’s, which is kinda bad but felt like the people who made it really tried and had fun which makes the entire film work so well.

So there’s no budget non Hollywood films out there that are worth seeking. Sadly they may not be mainstream but hey.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I can’t take complaints like this seriously. Every year plenty of indie and international films that are different and interesting get made. These films come out regardless of Hollywood’s flavor of the week. You’d know this for a fact if you followed the industry beyond watching only the Oscars (and then complaining about it).

None of y’all watch any of that stuff even when they somehow manage two weeks of wide release and then you whine about a dying movie industry. This is some Old Man Yells At Cloud poo poo.

Very little of that stuff ever sees a wide release and assuming we're talking about America there are large parts of the country where people are hours away from an arthouse theater. And even when some of that stuff escapes the net and goes to the multiplex they get the smallest room and not too many showtimes while whatever blockbuster is out at the time takes up three of the biggest rooms they have. Those movies also are barely advertised while the Marvel and etc movies have advertising budgets several times larger than the entire production budgets of a lot of indie films. Pretending this isn't a legitimate complaint is a bad faith argument.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't say the Shape of Water was particularly Oscar-baity. Not one of Del Toro's best, honestly still surprised it won so much that year.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno, you've got Period Piece + Gays Being Mistreated in the Past + Forbidden Love + Magical Creatures As a Stand-In for Minorities, it's not too far off

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thematically maybe, but compared to all the other movies that were nominated that year (except Get Out), it might as well be in a different time zone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zogo posted:

Of the best picture winners Gandhi comes to mind.

Return of the King? Especially ironic given the LotR movies are basically the template for the blockbuster franchise tentpoles that would go on to dominate 21st century cinema thus far. (to be fair, Star Wars already set the model)

The 2004 Oscars are the only ones I've actually seen, I think. Feels like they had a lot more fun with it back then.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Very little of that stuff ever sees a wide release and assuming we're talking about America there are large parts of the country where people are hours away from an arthouse theater. And even when some of that stuff escapes the net and goes to the multiplex they get the smallest room and not too many showtimes while whatever blockbuster is out at the time takes up three of the biggest rooms they have. Those movies also are barely advertised while the Marvel and etc movies have advertising budgets several times larger than the entire production budgets of a lot of indie films. Pretending this isn't a legitimate complaint is a bad faith argument.
Are you really saying the movie industry is dying because you can’t watch a good movie in your bumfuck corner of America? The success of an industry isn’t measured by the showings at the multiplex of your hick town.

Honestly, in this era of streaming and VOD no one even has excuses anymore. If you don’t care enough to venture beyond your comfort zone that’s fine, but don’t whinge about the industry no longer making good films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a middle ground between both of those opinions.

The problem really is that yeah there IS a diverse set of films being made not under the Hollywood banner and they are available to find…

But they do not have the funds behind them like something like Morbius did. And making movies of any kind is hard as gently caress and a lot of those issues come from money.

Obviously not everyone can get 70 million to make whatever, but what if more films did? Imagine if Upgrade had a 70 million budget instead of Venom? (I like venom for the record but upgrade is like an all timer)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Obviously not everyone can get 70 million to make whatever, but what if more films did? Imagine if Upgrade had a 70 million budget instead of Venom? (I like venom for the record but upgrade is like an all timer)

If it's an all-timer at $5M or whatever, what does it need more money for?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Tom Hardy instead of off-brand Tom Hardy.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Vegetable posted:

Are you really saying the movie industry is dying because you can’t watch a good movie in your bumfuck corner of America? The success of an industry isn’t measured by the showings at the multiplex of your hick town.

people everywhere deserve good movies and a theater to watch them in, jackass

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

Would’ve been easier to make for the cast and crew. have more time to make the film without having to rush through it, adding needless stress. Also paying people, especially below the line, more money.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t one of the biggest issues with direct to streaming is them not paying anyone below the line at all because they tend to cut a lot of costs?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Martman posted:

Ordinary People feels kind of like... prototypical of what was later viewed as Oscar bait maybe? And I really loved it but it's been a while.

That movie gets so much poo poo for being obvious Oscar bait (and yeah, it is) but it's really good as far as those go. Mary Tyler Moore, man.

Relevant trivia, I believe The Deer Hunter is considered the first Oscar bait movie, as its marketing campaign and release schedule were based entirely around trying to rack up as many awards and nominations as possible.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Would’ve been easier to make for the cast and crew. have more time to make the film without having to rush through it, adding needless stress. Also paying people, especially below the line, more money.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t one of the biggest issues with direct to streaming is them not paying anyone below the line at all because they tend to cut a lot of costs?

Speaking from a UK film production perspective:

There's no distinction here between a film for streaming or not, rates are set by production budget, not platform. Only the worst cowboy productions don't pay people at all.

If you mean royalties or residuals, only above the line cast and crew ever get those in the first place. As an AD, I make roughly the same amount of money off a £1 million budget indie for Netflix as I do off of a £50 million feature cinema release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oscar bait doesn't mean bad. It just means the movie coincides with the kinds of politics and sentiment that Oscar voters tend to like.

The problems with the movie industry becoming more monopolistic and more divorced from theaters don't stop existing because good movies are being made. The complaint is not that there aren't any good movies. There are a lot of good movies. Quite a few got nominated for Oscars this year.

The concern is that Hollywood is making fewer movies, and they're making a less diverse slate of movies. These trends are not some matter of opinion either. The number of movies in production goes down after every merger.

And the mid budget movie made for adults is an endangered species. You can see the effects of this in how promising young directors who make some breakout low budget indie thing get put in charge of a superhero tent pole rather than some 20-30 million dollar original.

Great stuff continues to be made, but the industry is top heavy and there are causes for concern. The ecosystem is not that healthy.