Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

a lovely king posted:

Speaking from a UK film production perspective:

There's no distinction here between a film for streaming or not, rates are set by production budget, not platform. Only the worst cowboy productions don't pay people at all.

If you mean royalties or residuals, only above the line cast and crew ever get those in the first place. As an AD, I make roughly the same amount of money off a £1 million budget indie for Netflix as I do off of a £50 million feature cinema release.

Gotcha gotcha. Thanks for letting me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I do think part of this is that all the potential mid budget movies for adults just get expanded and made into prestige tv nowadays, so those stories do get made but don't hit the big screen

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And then Spielberg loses his poo poo about it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vegetable posted:

Are you really saying the movie industry is dying because you can’t watch a good movie in your bumfuck corner of America? The success of an industry isn’t measured by the showings at the multiplex of your hick town.

Honestly, in this era of streaming and VOD no one even has excuses anymore. If you don’t care enough to venture beyond your comfort zone that’s fine, but don’t whinge about the industry no longer making good films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FRPoJIrlI

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wittgen posted:

Oscar bait doesn't mean bad. It just means the movie coincides with the kinds of politics and sentiment that Oscar voters tend to like.

The problems with the movie industry becoming more monopolistic and more divorced from theaters don't stop existing because good movies are being made. The complaint is not that there aren't any good movies. There are a lot of good movies. Quite a few got nominated for Oscars this year.

The concern is that Hollywood is making fewer movies, and they're making a less diverse slate of movies. These trends are not some matter of opinion either. The number of movies in production goes down after every merger.

And the mid budget movie made for adults is an endangered species. You can see the effects of this in how promising young directors who make some breakout low budget indie thing get put in charge of a superhero tent pole rather than some 20-30 million dollar original.

Great stuff continues to be made, but the industry is top heavy and there are causes for concern. The ecosystem is not that healthy.

Also that the tentpoles are ALL comic book movies or mayyyybe Jurassic Park 82 instead of the next Jaws or Star Wars or Matrix from original directors. Every "big" movie being a shared universe comic thing except for the random DC film that is a comic film not in a shared universe is annoying.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Oscar bait doesn't mean bad. It just means the movie coincides with the kinds of politics and sentiment that Oscar voters tend to like.
The problem with the Oscar Bait term is that it's such a vague idea that you can sort of squint and say anything is Oscar bait. It's not really a helpful term and just ends up getting used as a pejorative.

I think my insane crazy suggestion for fixing the Nomination Process:

--Create a diverse core committee of film critics, professionals, and academics who can actually commit to seeing most of the films that are released in a given year.

--Have the committee then create curated categories that are a mix of both genre and other qualities of a film. Something like: Drama, Comedy/Satire, Speculative, Adventure, New Voices, Horror, Thriller, Culturally Significant, Groundbreaking, Musical, Experimental, Popular.

--The broader voters then take part in multiple rank choice voting efforts for each of the subcatergories and then you end up with a winner in each of the subcategories.

--You then have another round of rank choice voting in which the winners of each category are voted on with only five of the subcategories actually being nominated for the final round of voting. That way you don't slide in because you were the only Musical that year.

--They then vote on the five nominees. Five nominees because nobody is being tricked into watching the Oscars because ooh maybe you're giving Black Panther an Oscar or whatever

While I push back against the Oscar Bait idea, I think you do get into these issues where mediocre movies will get slid in because they FEEL like they should win an Oscar, and in the case of Green Book, they sometimes win, especially with split votes.

So, let's say next year there is a really good drama, but there is also this middling Hilary Clinton biopic starring Meryl Streep. Well, they're both dramas. So, instead of taking up a slot, the middling movie gets eliminated from the get go because there is clearly a movie that is similar to it in terms of genre and tone and it's not going to win anyway.

And you end up with a more diverse set of nominees.

It's not a perfect system, but I think it might work.

Also, if you're not willing to create a spreadsheet for your movie watching, you're not allowed to vote.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Draw the names out of a box

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just give the awards to the best movies imo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just cancel them.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Take them off air so they can just be an insider-y awards show for hollywood bigwigs without all the added necessity of being a spectacle for people at home.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Martman posted:

Just give the awards to the best movies imo

King of the hill style Oscars, where a movie gets given the award for best picture every year until a better movie comes out.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The discourse over Oscar winners is always lame because when a movie wins, it immediately becomes the barrel-scraping Oscar bait that was always destined to win. See the minute and a half of this being applied to La La Land before everyone had to switch gears and give the same label to Moonlight.

Even if something like Get Out had won against the Shape of Water, folks would have crawled out of the woodwork to say how it was obviously going to win so that white liberals in the Academy could show that they could take a joke at their expense.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
King of the Hill style Oscars where the dog dancing episode of King of the Hill wins best picture every year

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Martman posted:

I dunno, you've got Period Piece + Gays Being Mistreated in the Past + Forbidden Love + Magical Creatures As a Stand-In for Minorities, it's not too far off

There comes a point where you're just saying being a drama counts as Oscar bait. I mean, your description also applies partially or in full to a bunch of creature features past and present, GDT just foregrounded the themes more than a lot of them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Drunkboxer posted:

King of the Hill style Oscars where the dog dancing episode of King of the Hill wins best picture every year

Liar!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I will never get tired of Dunkey finding new ways to give smb 2 game of the year, so I approve of this plan.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Feldegast42 posted:

I do think part of this is that all the potential mid budget movies for adults just get expanded and made into prestige tv nowadays, so those stories do get made but don't hit the big screen

Plus indie movies need some major stars in them to get noticed now. I know people love Little Miss Sunshine, but I see it as kind of the canary in the coal mine, because it was an "indie" movie with Greg Kinnear, Alan Arkin, and Steve loving Carrell. Say what you want about Clerks and Slacker, but can indie movies like that get major notice these days, since they star a bunch of nobodies? They were relative phenomenons when they came out (even if they took a little time to build an audience), and these days they'd either not get made or noticed, or they'd need Robert Downey, Jr. in them or something.

I guess that's not fair, they'd probably get made. But they'd be seen by almost no one. And you can say that's good because gently caress Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater. But the point still stands. I don't see how indie directors like that can hit it big anymore unless they get a big movie star to attach themselves to their movie. Which is kind of a big issue.

So, plug in Evil Dead and Sam Raimi if that works better for you.

I guess none of these were nominated for Oscars (other than Little Miss Sunshine), so it's more of a problem I have with the movie industry on a whole these days.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 7, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I mean CODA is an indie movie and it’s biggest star is Matlin and just won best picture.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean CODA is an indie movie and it’s biggest star is Matlin and just won best picture.

Matlin is, herself, an Oscar winner, and kind of a big deal. But yeah, it is a notable exception.

Like, didn't Fox Searchlight used to be Fox's division for indie movies? They did Nightmare Alley this year, which has quite a few major stars.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Its biggest star is Derbez.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Coda's biggest star, as long as the universe isnt terribly fictionalized, is VY Canis Majoris, 14000 times the size of the sun

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Matlin is, herself, an Oscar winner, and kind of a big deal. But yeah, it is a notable exception.

Like, didn't Fox Searchlight used to be Fox's division for indie movies? They did Nightmare Alley this year, which has quite a few major stars.
Not to dismiss Matlin, she's great as is Derbez. But I think it's fair to say a lot of folks saw the movie not knowing who they were.

I think the relationship between big names and indie films is a bit contextual. In the case of CODA, someone like Maitlin is a great actress, but despite her Oscar win, doesn't get a lot of big roles like this. So, both she and the producers are getting something out of her presence.

With Nightmare Alley, it's Del Toro. It's not a little indie film that could. It's a huge director and I'm sure a lot of those big names were excited to get on board.

Then you have Nomadland which was McDormand's baby. The basic bones of what the movie was supposed to be was something she wanted, and she brought Zhao in to bring it to life.

You also have situations like Pig where it technically has a big actor, but one who makes tons of lovely movies, and this just happened to be one of his little invisible movies that was actually really good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There has to be a hidden hand that makes these decisions, right? Someone somewhere decides that CODA or Nomadland are going to be "the" indie movies of their years and put some weight behind them.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

live with fruit posted:

There has to be a hidden hand that makes these decisions, right? Someone somewhere decides that CODA or Nomadland are going to be "the" indie movies of their years and put some weight behind them.

Yes and his name is Sundance Filmfestival

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggestBatman posted:

Sundance is usually a guaranteed nomination, just like Toronto, but Nomadland didn't premiere till Venice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nomadland isn't a real movie. Nobody has ever actually seen it

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
It also doesn't explain return of the king, what's your point?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not to dismiss Matlin, she's great as is Derbez. But I think it's fair to say a lot of folks saw the movie not knowing who they were.

I think the relationship between big names and indie films is a bit contextual. In the case of CODA, someone like Maitlin is a great actress, but despite her Oscar win, doesn't get a lot of big roles like this. So, both she and the producers are getting something out of her presence.

With Nightmare Alley, it's Del Toro. It's not a little indie film that could. It's a huge director and I'm sure a lot of those big names were excited to get on board.

Then you have Nomadland which was McDormand's baby. The basic bones of what the movie was supposed to be was something she wanted, and she brought Zhao in to bring it to life.

You also have situations like Pig where it technically has a big actor, but one who makes tons of lovely movies, and this just happened to be one of his little invisible movies that was actually really good.

Again, “indie” movies with Bradley Cooper/Cate Blanchett, Frances McDormand, and Nic Cage, respectively. Indie movies (almost always) just can’t get national attention without a star now, unlike the examples I shared. And that is unfortunate.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BiggestBatman posted:

I have no idea who you’re responding to.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggestBatman posted:

How does it happen that a movie like CODA rises to the top but a movie like Pig doesn't? Is it random or is someone putting their finger on the scale?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

thrawn527 posted:

Plus indie movies need some major stars in them to get noticed now. I know people love Little Miss Sunshine, but I see it as kind of the canary in the coal mine, because it was an "indie" movie with Greg Kinnear, Alan Arkin, and Steve loving Carrell. Say what you want about Clerks and Slacker, but can indie movies like that get major notice these days, since they star a bunch of nobodies? They were relative phenomenons when they came out (even if they took a little time to build an audience), and these days they'd either not get made or noticed, or they'd need Robert Downey, Jr. in them or something.

I guess that's not fair, they'd probably get made. But they'd be seen by almost no one. And you can say that's good because gently caress Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater. But the point still stands. I don't see how indie directors like that can hit it big anymore unless they get a big movie star to attach themselves to their movie. Which is kind of a big issue.

So, plug in Evil Dead and Sam Raimi if that works better for you.

I guess none of these were nominated for Oscars (other than Little Miss Sunshine), so it's more of a problem I have with the movie industry on a whole these days.

Oh god, what did Richard Linklater do?

BiggestBatman posted:

Much as it sucks to say, when that wave of indie films came around in the 90s it had a lot to do with Harvey Weinstein. Look how many of those things were distributed by Miramax.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CPL593H posted:

Oh god, what did Richard Linklater do?

Oh, nothing, I only just realized I was conflating Richard Linklater and Richard Kelly in my head, and people’s opinions of them. So I’ve been an idiot this entire time. Sorry.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

live with fruit posted:

How does it happen that a movie like CODA rises to the top but a movie like Pig doesn't? Is it random or is someone putting their finger on the scale?

Coda had sundance buzz of levels previously unseen and was bought there for a record amount. Pig had a pretty normal unremarkable release.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Lol nevermind Nomadland won the top prize at venice so my theory is still very sound

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even if Matlin and the kid from Sing Street aren’t massive stars it’s still a far cry from Smith filming a bunch of his literally untrained buddies. It’s hard to imagine something as completely raw as Clerks getting any traction nowadays.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Even if Matlin and the kid from Sing Street aren’t massive stars it’s still a far cry from Smith filming a bunch of his literally untrained buddies. It’s hard to imagine something as completely raw as Clerks getting any traction nowadays.

Tangerine? It didn't blow up like Clerks but it got press and launched Baker's career.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the point about indie movies featuring major stars isn't wrong, but arkin, collette, kinnear and carell weren't box office draws at time of release. little miss sunshine gave them all an enormous boost, even carell, whose first run as a lead was in a gigantic career-killing flop

e: strike the bit about carell, I forgot about 40-year-old virgin. so it's true for him but not everyone else

double e: i checked when filming started for little miss sunshine, summer 2005 before 40-year-old virgin came out. so in reality they got carell for cheap and then his profile exploded just in time for sundance

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 8, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Guy A. Person posted:

the kid from Sing Street

Hey now... he was also in Vikings as Alfred the Great.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1512506612807716864?s=21&t=cEa8lWxO2WMNCNA7qA_IAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So he keeps his oscar?