Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005
Your thetan levels are too low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He once got into one little fight as well

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

He once got into one little fight as well

What was his family's (perhaps, specifically, his mother's) reaction?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

What was his family's (perhaps, specifically, his mother's) reaction?

She did get a little fearful, now that you mention it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The only good take you'll see on twitter:

https://twitter.com/NoahPasternak/status/1508929619223023617

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Will Smith funded a Scientology school

Chris Rock deserved to be slapped, he's an SP (suppressive person)

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62QkD_q1bs

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Im surprised he still does tbh I thought Garfield had been franchised out to other writers years ago.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

massive spider posted:

Im surprised he still does tbh I thought Garfield had been franchised out to other writers years ago.

It’s a joke tweet, Davis sold the rights to Nickelodeon a few years back and has nothing to do with the property anymore.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No surprise, the LAPD were itching to arrest Will Smith.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1509684465857142787?s=21&t=XCbKaZq3fsn74WenA7RX9A

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Please let us kill him," bay foam-mouthed officer as veins swell in their apopleptic faces

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1510033145151766539?s=21&t=JVbjhGj_mGtznCWPVUmPIA

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress that

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Ejection from the academy was, like, the only reasonable punishment the academy could have levied, so well played by Will Smith I guess.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wittgen posted:

Ejection from the academy was, like, the only reasonable punishment the academy could have levied, so well played by Will Smith I guess.

Yeah this doesn't really hurt him, the academy has already lost a whole lot of its prestige over the past few years given the plummeting ratings for the oscars along with all of its (non-Will Smith related) fuckups, and what wins an oscar being so predictable that whole movies are crafted to an absolute tee based on pushing the exact buttons that get something a win. (Not that all those movies end up bad, just very predictable)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It was April fools’ day you nerds, why would you release it that day lol

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the idea that the Oscar nominations are particularly predictable is overblown and regardless of quality the last thirty years of winners are more diverse than you’d think. Like regardless of what you think of CODA, it’s not even an Oscar bait movie and I don’t think anyone thought it would win anything. And like what other film even meets the idea of being predictable Oscar bait besides maybe Belfast and King Richard?

The one thing that is predictable is that if you’re a somewhat famous person who plays a dead real person in a movie, you’re getting nominated. Like Tom Hanks could play Ronald Reagan by wearing a black t-shirt that says “Ronald Reagan” on it and be sipping coffee and reading right from the script during the whole thing and he’ll get nominated.

But honestly the Acting categories should be completely rebuilt from scratch. They’re the most bullshit

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Timeless Appeal posted:

The one thing that is predictable is that if you’re a somewhat famous person who plays a dead real person in a movie, you’re getting nominated. Like Tom Hanks could play Ronald Reagan by wearing a black t-shirt that says “Ronald Reagan” on it and be sipping coffee and reading right from the script during the whole thing and he’ll get nominated.

Hey now let's be fair, he'd also have to do a funny voice. The Academy loves it when you do a half-assed impression of a dead person.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And since it's Tom Hanks there'd be a scene where Ronald Reagan makes eye contact with the camera while he pisses.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man the Darkest Hour was so bad lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much everything about the Oscars is openly known to be laser-focused to making a particular strain of rich assholes feel good about themselves.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Which is why Will Smith's crime is so heinous, he made rich white people uncomfortable.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the idea that the Oscar nominations are particularly predictable is overblown and regardless of quality the last thirty years of winners are more diverse than you’d think. Like regardless of what you think of CODA, it’s not even an Oscar bait movie and I don’t think anyone thought it would win anything. And like what other film even meets the idea of being predictable Oscar bait besides maybe Belfast and King Richard?

CODA is absolutely Sundance Oscar bait. It hits all the inspirational notes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

CODA is absolutely Sundance Oscar bait. It hits all the inspirational notes.
The same inspirational beats found in what? Nomadland? Parasite? Green Book? The Shape of Water? Moonlight? Spotlight? Birdman? 12 Years a Slave? Argo?

CODA is a cute, twee indie coming of age story, but so is like The Half of It and nobody was nominating that for an Oscar. It struck a cord with people for how its representation and specifically for how it presents ASL as truly a language in of itself instead of a a way to compensate for not being able to speak and hear English. But the only comparable nominees I'd say we've seen the last few years are Gerwig's films which have consistently failed to hold water. Like you can go back to Slumdog Millionaire to find something that I think is a comparable tone to CODA and that's sandwiched between feel good inspiring films, The Hurt Locker and No Country for Old Men.

The Oscars are so full of poo poo on so many levels, but I feel like people spike the ball with it and create this false narrative that the most generic movies strictly for grandmas for Best Picture and that's clearly not true. Honestly, if they were just giving Oscars to like The Post and poo poo that would at least be consistent. The Oscars are so baffling and frustrating because they often do reward earnestly great and interesting movies, but also Green Book.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CODA hits all the notes of Captain Fantastic from a few years ago and is nominated just the same. The difference is actually winning, which you never expect from a Sundance film.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vegetable posted:

CODA hits all the notes of Captain Fantastic from a few years ago and is nominated just the same. The difference is actually winning, which you never expect from a Sundance film.

I'd also throw out Little Miss Sunshine and Juno. In the first five minutes, the parents fart, pick her up listening to very loud hip hop and have very loud sex. It's all very quirky

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Captain Fantastic was only nominated for acting. The other two movies Live Fruit mentioned came out fifteen years ago and sixteen years ago respectively. They lost to The Departed and No Country for Old Men.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

live with fruit posted:

I'd also throw out Little Miss Sunshine and Juno. In the first five minutes, the parents fart, pick her up listening to very loud hip hop and have very loud sex. It's all very quirky

I can't believe they're still making this genre, lol. I thought Trump would have killed it.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Coda is cross genre when it comes to oscar bait. It's quirky indie family-learns-to-understand-each-other bait mixed with people-with-disabilities-are-inspiring bait.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

porfiria posted:

I can't believe they're still making this genre, lol. I thought Trump would have killed it.

well from what i understand it's a nearly shot-for-shot remake a 2014 french film (La Famille Bélier / The Bélier Family)...... so you could consider it pre-trump

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I know everyone's pretty sick of the topic, but if Smith resigned from the Academy already, what is the likely punishment. It's like he's giving them little to do but rescind the award.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're gonna spin their wheels until talk dies down then quietly do nothing

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They didn't rescind Polanski's, they're not going to rescind Smith's. There probably some back room deal about resigning, Academy agrees not to take it further and in 2 years Will makes a brilliant comeback movie and is allowed back in.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I'm pretty sure Smith was leaned on to resign. The academy is in a tough spot since he just won one of their top awards so this way he makes a pr statement acknowledging his transgression, "voluntarily" disinvites himself from future events until some point when bygones will be bygones, and both he and the academy come out of this looking good (for will, he's contrite; for the academy, they're magnanimous)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
CODA is about deaf people, how is that not Oscar bait? I mean, maybe it wasn't intended by the creators, but the academy loves movies about underrepresented minority groups. They were probably salivating at the opportunity to show some performative inclusivity towards the deaf.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TheMopeSquad posted:

CODA is about deaf people, how is that not Oscar bait? I mean, maybe it wasn't intended by the creators, but the academy loves movies about underrepresented minority groups. They were probably salivating at the opportunity to show some performative inclusivity towards the deaf.

If this was true then Sound of Metal would've won <:mad:>

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Cacator posted:

If this was true then Sound of Metal would've won <:mad:>

Just because a movie is Oscar Bait doesn't mean it's going to win, or even get nominated.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
There's lots of different kinds of oscar bait. Historical figure bait, hollywood self-masturbation bait, inspiring story of disability or recovery bait, quirky indie family story bait, fighting oppression bait. The game played by oscars forecasters is figuring out which of those the academy is likely to feel like rewarding this year.

Most bait-y oscar winners (excluding Coda) lately are probably Green Book (historical figure, oppression, "family" story) and the King's Speech (historical figure, disability).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggestBatman posted:

There's lots of different kinds of oscar bait. Historical figure bait, hollywood self-masturbation bait, inspiring story of disability or recovery bait, quirky indie family story bait, fighting oppression bait. The game played by oscars forecasters is figuring out which of those the academy is likely to feel like rewarding this year.

Most bait-y oscar winners (excluding Coda) lately are probably Green Book (historical figure, oppression, "family" story) and the King's Speech (historical figure, disability).

You can never go wrong with movies about showbusiness. Worked for Kidman, Bardem and Simmons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think of it less in terms of a movie being made intentionally as "Oscar bait" and more about if it has aspects that will check certain boxes for the Academy at that time. Like, I wouldn't say 12 Years a Slave was Oscar bait by any means, but I felt super confident betting on it winning (while giving almost everything else to Gravity) without even having seen it because of the social context at that exact moment and the Academy wanting people to think they're progressive or whatever. And I'm not trying to criticize the movie itself at all, the Academy is just stupid. Similarly I expect them to drag their feet on seriously honoring any Asian movie for a bit after having given Best Picture to Parasite, because a bunch of old idiots probably feel like they're covered on that front for a while.

Then you have stuff like Crash beating Brokeback Mountain, and umm I dunno where I'm going with that but I got mad again