Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Hmm don’t think I agree with him. Lots of good best picture films, with Drive My Car confronting grief in a stronger way than Nomadland. And Martin Scorsese certainly does not agree with this view on Power of the Dog.

But I have to see Coda still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Drive My Car is really good, but it’s first hour is an investment. It’s all to show you the aspects of the relationship and how there is really love between them. But also the lies too. In this way, you really feel the payoffs of the car conversation and later the one in Hokkaido.
The in movie play looks awesome though. And love some of the side characters like the mute Korean girl.

Power of the Dog is probably my pick, but gotta watch Coda still.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha funny how that works. It was the opposite for me. Wife was solid performance though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nah it’s because power of the dog is a solid film. There’s some interesting themes presented by some top notch performances (Cumberbatch, Dunst, Plemons, and that kid), some beautiful camera work, and another great Greenwood score.

Here’s 5 minutes of Martin Scorsese talking about the dog

https://deadline.com/2022/03/martin-scorsese-jane-campion-lady-gaga-power-of-the-dog-nyfcc-new-york-film-critics-1234981299/

But it does seem like it has some competition with Coda now and could go either way.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think it will hold up quite well. There’s universal themes of repression and ideals of strength.
But will see if it even wins.

I just watched Pig. How did this not get any noms.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Power of the Dog is probably still my pick for best picture. Love West Side story, but unlikely that remake of a best picture winner would also win. Drive my car is good, but probably too long and moody to win. Dune is solid, but will probably follow lord of the rings and pick up prizes for the final film. King Richard was alright, but beyond the Will Smith acting feels kind of weaker than the rest.

I’m kind of neutral on nightmare alley still, but the directors guild of America has a podcast episode with GDT talking about the film for 40 minutes. He always really gets into talking about any film, so it did make me see nightmare in a bit of a new light.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Y’all just gotta learn to see the dog. But we can’t all be Bronco Henry.

Interesting how diverse the opinions are in here. Guess there is not a clear winner like in some year past.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think we all at least agree that Don't Look Up shouldn't win Best Picture.

Agreed there. I keep forgetting that it was nominated. I don’t hate the film, but there’s lots better to nominate over it

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Still can’t believe Best Score didn’t make the live show. Adding music is an easy way to bring some energy to the show.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Zero One posted:

Dune is winning the pre-show awards.

[]

“Dune” is cleaning up in the pre-show categories, following up its best sound Oscar with victories in the original score, film editing and production design races.

[/]

Good wins

Dang this is Hans first win too and it’s not televised. He’s defined modern film music and lol this is how he awarded. At least he’s got his awesome concert tour.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agreed. Pig and green knight were sadly big misses.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

It's awful. More so if you're expecting a western

Sam is that you?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Synder double win, a big slap, and some tears. What a night.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I dunno, i think they announced many winners.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Timeless Appeal posted:

She got robbed for cinematography and Power of Dog's only real competition should have been West Side Story and Drive My Car.

Also it was a fine burn.

Yeah this is also a pretty typical Campion response if you ever listen to her other speeches and commentaries. She jokes a lot about herself and others and is generally not too serious.

But gotta be careful in this post slap world.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Mark yourself safe in this post slap violence normalized Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Best tracks on Dune soundtrack? Gotta listen to it again now that’s it’s a winner.