Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Freak things can and do happen and people do die from single hits, this post and the resharing of it are lame as heck. Justice for Judd
I'm all for people being honest about the dangers of random punches etc., but an open palm slap to the cheek really is different from a closed-fist punch to the skull imo. I think Will Smith may be an insane person, but to me it looks like he restrained himself enough that his hit could only pain and insult. Like yes he could have messed up, but I think he did exactly what he intended to do and if it were a "real" punch it would cause the kind of damage where the show would actually probably have been stopped because you don't just immediately go "oh wow that dude slapped the poo poo out of me" if they hit you in the way that can kill someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Hes a hypocritical pos
Trainwreck really soured me on Judd Apatow, it has just the thinnest veneer of being feminist or edgy or whatever but immediately turns out to just be "hey ladies, you better stop being drunk sluts and start submitting to traditional family values right now or else you'll be trash forever." It's not surprising at all to me that he's a pearl-clutching whiny little dweeb.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ahhh yeah that sounds about right.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

this kid is nuts posted:

Still waiting.
lol whose alt are u

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Women are capable of speaking for themselves
:ironicat:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I lot of people already thought he was crazy because of Scientology and, I dunno, lots of woo woo bullshit he's said throughout the years, so this came as a bit of a confirmation maybe

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think of it less in terms of a movie being made intentionally as "Oscar bait" and more about if it has aspects that will check certain boxes for the Academy at that time. Like, I wouldn't say 12 Years a Slave was Oscar bait by any means, but I felt super confident betting on it winning (while giving almost everything else to Gravity) without even having seen it because of the social context at that exact moment and the Academy wanting people to think they're progressive or whatever. And I'm not trying to criticize the movie itself at all, the Academy is just stupid. Similarly I expect them to drag their feet on seriously honoring any Asian movie for a bit after having given Best Picture to Parasite, because a bunch of old idiots probably feel like they're covered on that front for a while.

Then you have stuff like Crash beating Brokeback Mountain, and umm I dunno where I'm going with that but I got mad again

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ordinary People feels kind of like... prototypical of what was later viewed as Oscar bait maybe? And I really loved it but it's been a while.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zogo posted:

I was trying to think of the least Oscar baited movies that won. Maybe Midnight Cowboy or Cimarron or All the King's Men.
I forgot that The Departed won, and I think it's a fairly good answer... sadly I have not actually seen a ton of Best Picture winners, including all you mentioned. To the vast majority of viewers and judges I doubt it being an adaptation was noticed or even relevant, it barely touches on any kind of love story, and honestly I don't think it was really trying to say anything about society at large or the actual police or crime or corruption or whatever. It was just an extremely good crime thriller and I feel like it won for being insanely entertaining, well-made, and maybe just the Academy feeling like Scorsese deserved one at that point.

edit:

CPL593H posted:

Brokeback Mountain is every bit the kind of garbage liberal wank piece that Crash is. It's a safe movie about how tragic it is to be gay made entirely by straight people. While everyone was breaking their arms patting themselves on the back for liking the "brave" movie about the sad homos actual queer voices continued to be kept far away from the mainstream.
I can't really comment on this, but god drat it's a pretty serious accusation to say a movie was like Crash in any way.

My point wasn't so much that Brokeback Mountain had the perfect/better message or politics, but that Crash is just absolutely insanely bad and stupidly constructed but still had something in its idiotic message that gave the Academy some feeling of justification.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 6, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Snappedneck Revine
Hacksaw Ridge?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno, you've got Period Piece + Gays Being Mistreated in the Past + Forbidden Love + Magical Creatures As a Stand-In for Minorities, it's not too far off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just give the awards to the best movies imo