Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is the first year I was bored enough to watch the Oscars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think from now on instead of votes the outcome of the awards should be decided in an American Gladiators type event.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Zack Snyder would win on that front too!

Uwe Boll just keeps winning best director.

Dpulex posted:

LoL the chuds on gaf are saying this is part of some wide reaching leftist conspiracy

I don't want to start googling this but I'm dying to know what the nefarious end goal is of a guy getting bitch slapped on tv.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

teagone posted:

Alright let's clear the air here lmao. Should Will Smith have slapped Chris Rock? No, he shouldn't have done that. Smith even acknowledges this in his best actor speech. BUT, do I think the slap was unwarranted or unresonable? No, I don't believe it was. I say this based on Will Smith's present/past circumstances and just having general empathy because gently caress man, jokes can cut deep sometimes and it can be hard to deal with, especially if you've got some internal battling going on.

But also, like I said earlier, millionaires slapping the poo poo out of each other unscripted on live TV is pretty funny so if it happens more often, cool.

Watching his acceptance speech made it very clear that he obviously has some kind of poo poo going on. I think ultimately it'll blow over, not damage his career significantly, and then he'll spend years and years being made fun of for being an arrogant douche who hits people like Sean Penn and Russell Crowe (even though his motivations were quite different from those other two).

But also gently caress 'em both. Awards ceremonies are where a bunch of rich people pal around in single outfits that cost more than every article of clothing I own combined so they can all huff their own farts for three or four hours.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 28, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

just imagine. studios running campaigns not for their best performers but for their strongest fighters. now they have to put martial artists in bit parts to have a shot. cinema, saved

It's too bad they didn't start doing this about ten-fifteen years ago. Imagine how many statues Jason Statham would have taken home.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Crank and Crank 2 winning best picture is just something that should have happened anyway. Anyone who disagrees see if you can remember what won in 2007 and 2010 off the top of your head.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Statham is a real life rear end in a top hat and would have gotten his rear end kicked by actual martial artists. So what I’m saying is this is a great idea.

Having martial artists and MMA bros is cheating. Just typical celebrities whose training consists entirely of poo poo they learned for a couple fight scenes over the years is what would make it interesting.

Anyway the only pure souls in the entertainment industry are Keanu Reeves and Weird Al Yankovic.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was thinking about it and I realized that I've never found Chris Rock funny and can't remember ever laughing at one of his jokes. So this whole thing is pretty on brand.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm going to be 100% honest and say that I think that this whole thing is kind of funny because Will Smith has a 20 year backlog of terrible Oscar bait movies and when he finally won the award for one all anyone will remember is that he lost his poo poo and bitch slapped a hack comedian in front of millions of people over a Jay Leno-level lame joke.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

sam sheehan is a comedy account that mostly posts about basketball. this isn't the first time he's managed to sell a joke as a legit take and get people mad though

The fact that you even have to question whether or not that's a sincere take tells you everything you need to know about the discourse about absolutely anything on the internet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Everyone else who had to participate in the Oscars on any level is lucky this happened because it made it so no one noticed what an absolute goddamn disaster it was otherwise. In like the first 15 minutes of this three hour ceremony one of the hosts was forced to do an incredibly cringeworthy bit where she lined up a bunch of dudes on the stage to talk about how badly she wants to gently caress them, mentioned the star of Euphoria and added "He's legal.", and then proceeded to grope the next two presenters who came out. And the bit went on for soooo long. I'm not even going to specify, because why bother, but Amy Schumer. Total loving shitshow.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hatty posted:

I'm more mad about how bad the memorial section was than the slap. I don't want to see people dancing I want the see the dead people!

I thought it was really bizarre that they made the memorial segment into an awkward high school choir routine. People coming out to talk about some of the deceased was a nice touch and they should have something more like that.

Wittgen posted:

They shouldn't take the Oscar away but they should give him a statue in a slapping pose and insist that the statuettes always be displayed together.

His punishment should be hosting an Academy Awards ceremony.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The biggest tragedy here is that no one has ever bitch slapped Ricky Gervais at an awards ceremony.

VROOM VROOM posted:

as a punishment Will Smith's Oscar will be converted into a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot

That's not a punishment at all that loving rules.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Remake that that lovely show The Slap but instead of a guy whacking someone's annoying kid at a barbecue it's a bunch of rich people pageantry getting ruined when some guy gets called on his bullshit and someone smacks him in the face.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

someone should slap john wayne imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8LhosLmWGo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The only good take you'll see on twitter:

https://twitter.com/NoahPasternak/status/1508929619223023617

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Martman posted:

I think of it less in terms of a movie being made intentionally as "Oscar bait" and more about if it has aspects that will check certain boxes for the Academy at that time. Like, I wouldn't say 12 Years a Slave was Oscar bait by any means, but I felt super confident betting on it winning (while giving almost everything else to Gravity) without even having seen it because of the social context at that exact moment and the Academy wanting people to think they're progressive or whatever. And I'm not trying to criticize the movie itself at all, the Academy is just stupid. Similarly I expect them to drag their feet on seriously honoring any Asian movie for a bit after having given Best Picture to Parasite, because a bunch of old idiots probably feel like they're covered on that front for a while.

Then you have stuff like Crash beating Brokeback Mountain, and umm I dunno where I'm going with that but I got mad again

Brokeback Mountain is every bit the kind of garbage liberal wank piece that Crash is. It's a safe movie about how tragic it is to be gay made entirely by straight people. While everyone was breaking their arms patting themselves on the back for liking the "brave" movie about the sad homos actual queer voices continued to be kept far away from the mainstream.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

What's the more dangerous version of Brokeback Mountain?

Brokeback Mountain but being on the mountain constantly puts you in the unavoidable danger of actually breaking your back.

CelticPredator posted:

Snappedneck Revine

Okay, I laughed way too hard at this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I can’t take complaints like this seriously. Every year plenty of indie and international films that are different and interesting get made. These films come out regardless of Hollywood’s flavor of the week. You’d know this for a fact if you followed the industry beyond watching only the Oscars (and then complaining about it).

None of y’all watch any of that stuff even when they somehow manage two weeks of wide release and then you whine about a dying movie industry. This is some Old Man Yells At Cloud poo poo.

Very little of that stuff ever sees a wide release and assuming we're talking about America there are large parts of the country where people are hours away from an arthouse theater. And even when some of that stuff escapes the net and goes to the multiplex they get the smallest room and not too many showtimes while whatever blockbuster is out at the time takes up three of the biggest rooms they have. Those movies also are barely advertised while the Marvel and etc movies have advertising budgets several times larger than the entire production budgets of a lot of indie films. Pretending this isn't a legitimate complaint is a bad faith argument.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Are you really saying the movie industry is dying because you can’t watch a good movie in your bumfuck corner of America? The success of an industry isn’t measured by the showings at the multiplex of your hick town.

Honestly, in this era of streaming and VOD no one even has excuses anymore. If you don’t care enough to venture beyond your comfort zone that’s fine, but don’t whinge about the industry no longer making good films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FRPoJIrlI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Plus indie movies need some major stars in them to get noticed now. I know people love Little Miss Sunshine, but I see it as kind of the canary in the coal mine, because it was an "indie" movie with Greg Kinnear, Alan Arkin, and Steve loving Carrell. Say what you want about Clerks and Slacker, but can indie movies like that get major notice these days, since they star a bunch of nobodies? They were relative phenomenons when they came out (even if they took a little time to build an audience), and these days they'd either not get made or noticed, or they'd need Robert Downey, Jr. in them or something.

I guess that's not fair, they'd probably get made. But they'd be seen by almost no one. And you can say that's good because gently caress Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater. But the point still stands. I don't see how indie directors like that can hit it big anymore unless they get a big movie star to attach themselves to their movie. Which is kind of a big issue.

So, plug in Evil Dead and Sam Raimi if that works better for you.

I guess none of these were nominated for Oscars (other than Little Miss Sunshine), so it's more of a problem I have with the movie industry on a whole these days.

Oh god, what did Richard Linklater do?

BiggestBatman posted:

Yes and his name is Sundance Filmfestival

Much as it sucks to say, when that wave of indie films came around in the 90s it had a lot to do with Harvey Weinstein. Look how many of those things were distributed by Miramax.