Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Srice posted:

It's always incredible to see how people who work in the movie industry for a living can still have takes on par with rando internet comments like complaining how Licorice Pizza has "no story".

My favorite from past years was, I think, someone complaining about how political movies had gotten and refusing to vote for a movie because a cast or crew member had worn a shirt about police violence to some event...and then they went on to sing the praises of American Sniper as a beautiful biopic that just told a great story without all these drat politics. Full-on news site comments brain :). Really makes the bad beats hurt less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

whos that broooown posted:

My local ABC station had an ad about showing a different school doing the pledge of allegiance every day, will smith can loving take it for once

I see ads for that kind of thing and I can't picture the person who actually tunes in for that. It feels like a joke from Check It Out!.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Not sure you can revoke an award when it's a tangible object. I suppose you could go "give it back or we'll punish you" but, eh, better to just skip to the punishment.

Fun fact I had to look up cause I only half-remembered it, but there's a whole thing where you kind of don't own the physical statue. Being a member of the Academy and accepting the award also means you agree to a bunch of rules, including the Academy getting right of first refusal for any future sale. You have to offer to sell it to them for $1 before you or your heirs sell it. And they already established some precedent with one lawsuit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/oscars-statues-are-only-worth-1.html

So, I guess at some point if they really wanted it back for symbolic reasons they'd have to sue him for it if he refused to hand it back. It'd be weirdly petty though and adding an extra asterisk onto the whole event is definitely not what they wanted. Also it'd trigger even more articles about the worse poo poo that they'd forgiven in the past. That said, If it had been revoked, I'd be curious if he'd still technically be the winner or if 2nd place would move up.