Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm not even sure Censor was the best British horror film of 2021

night house would be your pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Night House was my favorite horror movie of the year*, but I don't think it was British.

I was thinking of In The Earth.

*incidentally, Rebecca Hall was robbed, again.

for some reason i thought it was a co-production

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i enjoy the brutally honest oscar ballots because they remind us how academy voters have porridge for brains and no one should take these awards as conferring anything resembling artistic merit

seen all the nominees and as always the only decent stuff is in the international and documentary categories. of the best picture candidates drive my car absolutely annihilates everyone else, and of the rest only power of the dog, nightmare alley and king richard are worthy contenders

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

EvenFlou posted:

I still haven't seen Drive My Car, looks good. But what about Dune?

dune deserves every nomination it got in the technical categories and maybe director. not in my top 10 of 2021 by a long shot

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's too good a movie to be cage's redemption award. same thing happened with uncut gems

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Riven posted:

That tops them accidentally giving an Oscar to the wrong film for 30 seconds as craziest thing to happen at the Oscars.

moving best actor to the end to honor chadwick boseman's passing and then anthony hopkins winning was pretty high up there too lmao

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

king richard and coda are interesting because king richard shows how you can elevate what would be a very conventional biopic and coda shows how if you do paint by number you win a bunch of big awards

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i think all categories should be decided in trial by combat. just throw them all in the ring with a variety of sharp implements

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

just imagine. studios running campaigns not for their best performers but for their strongest fighters. now they have to put martial artists in bit parts to have a shot. cinema, saved

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

encanto ruined whatever goodwill i had for it when the village all came together to rebuild the house through collective effort and communal support and then... magic's back, everyone's got their powers again. much better ending if they don't get their gifts returned and everyone has to genuinely rely on each other to thrive

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thank god they watermarked it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Vegetable posted:

Are you really saying the movie industry is dying because you can’t watch a good movie in your bumfuck corner of America? The success of an industry isn’t measured by the showings at the multiplex of your hick town.

people everywhere deserve good movies and a theater to watch them in, jackass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the point about indie movies featuring major stars isn't wrong, but arkin, collette, kinnear and carell weren't box office draws at time of release. little miss sunshine gave them all an enormous boost, even carell, whose first run as a lead was in a gigantic career-killing flop

e: strike the bit about carell, I forgot about 40-year-old virgin. so it's true for him but not everyone else

double e: i checked when filming started for little miss sunshine, summer 2005 before 40-year-old virgin came out. so in reality they got carell for cheap and then his profile exploded just in time for sundance

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 8, 2022