Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Oscars are dumb but people are also, like, dumb about it. Most people just complain about movies they haven’t seen getting nominated over movies they did see. Kinda silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be honest if people already complain the Oscar’s are way too long, they don’t really get to whine about a few awards — the ones they really didn’t care about — getting cut.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a reminder that all Hollywood types are self-obsessed idiots and there’s no amount of marginalization or oppression that can shake you out of that sense of self obsession.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s entirely the fault of her studio

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

live with fruit posted:

For all the talk about what The Batman could have cut to get the runtime down, Drive My Car didn't need a full hour of play rehearsals.
On the contrary, Drive My Car would have been a much better movie if it was just play rehearsals. Easily the best moments of the film.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Power of Dog literally has a gay man dying of a blood-transmitted disease after having a gay experience with a man pretending to be gay. Its treatment of gayness is weird and to me… kinda toxic? I think it swims in enough ambiguity to avoid accusations of this nature. But it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As someone who really didn’t care for Dune going in I came out feeling like it was the best film of the year. And I’ve seen I think every of the nominee except King Richard and Coda.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure my wife would leave me if I punched somebody over some tasteless joke about her. I couldn’t personally care less about any of the three people involved but this episode promotes some toxic masculinity poo poo. Why couldn’t it have been some harmless mixup again over the wrong film winning Best Picture? Why does the moment of drama in this ceremony have to be an advertisement for dumb toxic men?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CODA hits all the notes of Captain Fantastic from a few years ago and is nominated just the same. The difference is actually winning, which you never expect from a Sundance film.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wittgen posted:

The problem is not with marvel movies. The problem is not even with superhero movies sucking up the oxygen. The problem is there is not enough oxygen to begin with. Studios are being allowed to become increasingly monopolistic. Both mergers and the weakening of theaters work against seeing a lot of different types of movies. Why take risks when there is so little competition? Better to go with whatever is working. Why make stuff that fosters a theater going audience if your margins are better on your studios gated streaming service?

The movie industry isn't bleak because a type of blockbuster you don't like is the taste du jour. The movie industry is bleak because of capitalism.
I can’t take complaints like this seriously. Every year plenty of indie and international films that are different and interesting get made. These films come out regardless of Hollywood’s flavor of the week. You’d know this for a fact if you followed the industry beyond watching only the Oscars (and then complaining about it).

None of y’all watch any of that stuff even when they somehow manage two weeks of wide release and then you whine about a dying movie industry. This is some Old Man Yells At Cloud poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Very little of that stuff ever sees a wide release and assuming we're talking about America there are large parts of the country where people are hours away from an arthouse theater. And even when some of that stuff escapes the net and goes to the multiplex they get the smallest room and not too many showtimes while whatever blockbuster is out at the time takes up three of the biggest rooms they have. Those movies also are barely advertised while the Marvel and etc movies have advertising budgets several times larger than the entire production budgets of a lot of indie films. Pretending this isn't a legitimate complaint is a bad faith argument.
Are you really saying the movie industry is dying because you can’t watch a good movie in your bumfuck corner of America? The success of an industry isn’t measured by the showings at the multiplex of your hick town.

Honestly, in this era of streaming and VOD no one even has excuses anymore. If you don’t care enough to venture beyond your comfort zone that’s fine, but don’t whinge about the industry no longer making good films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They can totally revoke an award, even if they don’t manage to get the trophy back.

But the result of this investigation seems predetermined. Whoopi is the Academy’s governor and she came out, like, one day after the incident to say they wouldn’t take away his award.

This is just a slap on the wrist.