Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vincent posted:

Let's make a list of good snacks and meals for everyone's Oscar night party.

-Alana Haim-and-cheese sandwiches (she wasn't nominated, but c'mon)
- Drive my Spaghetti Carbonara
- The Powdered Donut of the Dog
- Spice Coffe (Dune. Coffe with cinnamon)
- Licorice Pizza (Cheese Pizza with licorrice pieces on it, I dunno).

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1491237918211551232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stuff regarding the dropped categories:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1499731526577274882

quote:

Another governor of a branch that has lost a category from the live telecast, who wishes to remain nameless, says he was jarred when, over the summer, he received a call from Hudson explaining why significant changes to the format of the Oscars were necessary. This governor says that he was told that ABC had warned the Academy that it would cancel the Oscars telecast, via a clause in the Academy and ABC’s deal for the Oscars’ broadcasting rights, if 12 categories were not removed from the show. “We were told we’d have to sacrifice something or we were going to lose the whole show,” this governor recaps.

Extremely wild, what the hell is that contract even. I wish they kept all the categories in and dared ABC to pull the plug.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

live with fruit posted:

For all the talk about what The Batman could have cut to get the runtime down, Drive My Car didn't need a full hour of play rehearsals.

Yeah it needed more than an hour of them

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

I was looking forward to the new West Side Story, but apart from its opening sequence it is almost a carbon copy of the original; I know they’re emphasizing that they cast Latino and Latina actors this time, but the actress who plays Maria is named Rachel Zegler, so I think that’s a little overstated.

Hm.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's always incredible to see how people who work in the movie industry for a living can still have takes on par with rando internet comments like complaining how Licorice Pizza has "no story".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

My favorite from past years was, I think, someone complaining about how political movies had gotten and refusing to vote for a movie because a cast or crew member had worn a shirt about police violence to some event...and then they went on to sing the praises of American Sniper as a beautiful biopic that just told a great story without all these drat politics. Full-on news site comments brain :). Really makes the bad beats hurt less.

It sure is something when they whine about some inconsequential nonsense to justify not voting for something they were totally gonna vote for until the person offended them by being ~political~. Heck, we got one of those this year too!

quote:

As much as I don’t care for The Power of the Dog, this is an area where I do believe it’s appropriate to give awards in order to reward a lifetime of work, so I was thinking about voting for Jane Campion, but she completely lost me with the Critics Choice Awards speech. She self-aggrandized herself by making it about how she has to compete with men, but that is by no means a detriment anymore; she is not the Rosa Parks of female directors, and The Power of the Dog is not a feminist film. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

As we all know, with Campion becoming the very first female director to receive a second Oscar nomination in her career we can safely say that sexism is now over.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having seen them all my rankings are:

1. Drive My Car
2. The Power of the Dog
3. Licorice Pizza
4. Dune
5. West Side Story
6. Nightmare Alley
7. King Richard
8. Belfast
9. CODA
10. Don't Look Up

To be honest I'd rather Don't Look Up win over King Richard, Belfast, or CODA. To me, those are the boring picks whereas Don't Look Up would be such a dumb pick for best picture that if nothing else I would appreciate the chaos energy behind it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Hold up, they nominated Bohemian Rhapsody last year? loving lol

Heck it even won best editing!

Though back when it did I saw a good series of tweets by a professional editor who had the take that it won best editing because the production was such a mess that you had to be a talented editor to cut it into something coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is my favorite bad take

https://twitter.com/marcandreyko/status/1508337735508979713?s=21&t=cgUUmSDpQQpC6tW-uiU8rw

Because they wanted people to say "no" but the replies are overwhelmingly "yes"