Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I haven't been watching as many movies the part couple years. Just not as able to get out and enjoy movies for some reason.

Reading the Oscar noms and not even recognizing most of the titles made me want to catch up a little so I've been watching some movies.

So far, Worst Person In The World and Parallel Mothers have been the best. I'd nominate them over Belfast or Dune all day every day.

It's really wild to me that Parallel Mothers didn't get an international film nomination, but I guess that is the kind of silly thing that happens when you have a weird nominee filter for a category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

My favorite moment was when they played off a guy, but then he just came back to the mic to say his thanks after the play off music stopped. King poo poo.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

They shouldn't take the Oscar away but they should give him a statue in a slapping pose and insist that the statuettes always be displayed together.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay but that's an awesome thing to have and if you give him that literally every other celebrity will want a "Slappy" too and thus the great slap wars will begin.

A strong argument for the institution of the Slappy.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm not so sure this is a win for the Oscars. It's true to a certain extent that any publicity can be good publicity, but the Oscars is in large part about prestige. It's about burnishing the reputation of Hollywood and showing the world how high status the movie making business is. Scandal gets clicks and maybe the academy will play it off, but something as trashy as a guy hitting another guy for dissing his girl is not good for the Oscars image.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Ejection from the academy was, like, the only reasonable punishment the academy could have levied, so well played by Will Smith I guess.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The problem is not with marvel movies. The problem is not even with superhero movies sucking up the oxygen. The problem is there is not enough oxygen to begin with. Studios are being allowed to become increasingly monopolistic. Both mergers and the weakening of theaters work against seeing a lot of different types of movies. Why take risks when there is so little competition? Better to go with whatever is working. Why make stuff that fosters a theater going audience if your margins are better on your studios gated streaming service?

The movie industry isn't bleak because a type of blockbuster you don't like is the taste du jour. The movie industry is bleak because of capitalism.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oscar bait doesn't mean bad. It just means the movie coincides with the kinds of politics and sentiment that Oscar voters tend to like.

The problems with the movie industry becoming more monopolistic and more divorced from theaters don't stop existing because good movies are being made. The complaint is not that there aren't any good movies. There are a lot of good movies. Quite a few got nominated for Oscars this year.

The concern is that Hollywood is making fewer movies, and they're making a less diverse slate of movies. These trends are not some matter of opinion either. The number of movies in production goes down after every merger.

And the mid budget movie made for adults is an endangered species. You can see the effects of this in how promising young directors who make some breakout low budget indie thing get put in charge of a superhero tent pole rather than some 20-30 million dollar original.

Great stuff continues to be made, but the industry is top heavy and there are causes for concern. The ecosystem is not that healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I will never get tired of Dunkey finding new ways to give smb 2 game of the year, so I approve of this plan.