Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PTizzle posted:

It would've been better if Will Smith smacked whatever low-level TV writer wrote that crap joke IMO.

not because it was offensive but like how is GI Jane worth mentioning 25 years later. i guess in that way it's very appropriate for the oscars

I feel like this part isn't being talked about enough. It was a really lovely joke. Even Chris Rock admitted it right after the slap.

Is it a guarantee Rock didn't write it? I thought they only used the lovely writers for non-comedians, and comedians wanted to do their own thing? But I'm not sure what I'm basing this on, so I may have made it up.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

Encanto was fine, but the music has some definite bangers in there. A lot of 'em took second and third viewings to really click (and we have kids so that poo poo is on repeat) but they are good.

I know he did both, but Encanto's feel like they fall more into LMM's classical rapid-fire expository lyric way so that could be a turnoff to some folks over Moana.

Yeah, I think Moana was made just before Hamilton exploded (and maybe released just after?), so LMM wasn't really comfortable enough (or maybe wasn't allowed) to fully express his style the way he later would. But by Encanto, it's all him. And I say this loving the music in Encanto. Surface Pressure slaps (...dammit), but it is pure strain LMM, so if that doesn't work for you, I totally get it.

But I still maintain that Moana is Disney's best animated film. I love it.

BonoMan posted:

None of that really matters in this discussion though because Mitchell's vs The Machines handily beats out everything else. It's amazing. Go watch it.d

I really need to do this. If only to add another movie into the rotation for my 5 year old. But also because I've heard nothing but great things about it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Baronash posted:

When Moana came out I bored some friends with my screed about how You're Welcome would be less effective with a talented singer performing it. The kind of fame and adoration that surrounds a massive star like The Rock is probably not all that dissimilar from how the protagonists in oral histories would have been viewed throughout history. Especially with one of the character's main traits in the film being his active participation in his own myth-making, which dovetails nicely with The Rock's own history of carefully cultivating his personal brand. It's inspired casting, and it helps sell You're Welcome as this playfully self-aggrandizing song from the world's most popular clout chaser.

100% agree.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I didn't watch the Oscars, yet via cultural osmosis I was forced to learn about the slap heard round the world.

Except it kind of seems like not a big deal at all? Chris Rock made a lovely joke about Will Smith's wife, Will Smith got justifiably pissed off and slapped (not punched, slapped) Chris Rock and told him to shut the gently caress up, and that's it. End of story.

"Man momentarily loses emotional control in a very minor way after another man unintentionally makes a verbal comment that goes to far" isn't exactly a world changing event.

The thing is, it's THE OSCARS! WHEN HOLLYWOOD COMES OUT TO PARTY! It's supposed to be the most "glitz and glam" night of the year for Hollywood. Someone walking up and slapping someone else during it just isn't "supposed to happen". Which is dumb, but also why it's so shocking to people. The nice, pretty people of Hollywood got dressed up all fancy, and then one of them smacked another one of them on stage. Like, he got out of the audience, up on stage, and just smacked him. Which is not, sorry for borrowing a phrase, "part of the plan".

As someone else said, if this had happened at the after party, and we heard stories about it, maybe even seen a sort of blurry video that we were still pretty drat sure was Will Smith and Chris Rock, no one would care. "Oh, looks like Smith and Rock got into it at the after party because of that joke. That's kinda funny." And then that's it. But instead it broke the rules. It happened during the big event, when everyone is supposed to be jerking each other off, but in a fancy, clean way.

Whatever you think of the use of violence, the way it was done is kind of amazing, because it brought the entertainment world to a halt.

fake edit: It's like the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake Super Bowl thing. Sure, we've all seen someone topless before. But how it happened is what's making everyone lose their minds. You can't just remove context like that.

real edit:

Eric Cantonese posted:

If they take his Oscar away, do they give it to the second place vote winner? Is there ranked choice voting? A do-over?

It doesn't matter. They're not taking his Oscar away. Anyone suggesting this has gone insane.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 28, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LionArcher posted:

The twitters have turned on Zoe K over this since she called out smith, and has been grooming Jaden because she joked that he was attractive when he was 14 and she was 26. (Aka made two jokes about it). I officially declare everyone on Twitter needs a one week time out for being lame as hell and racist.

If Twitter could get times out for that…

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well then. That's certainly interesting, and casts a bit of a new light on his acceptance speech.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

albedoa posted:

How many of you believe that the first time Will Smith hit someone out of anger was at age 53 at the 94th Academy Awards?

I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBRfjcY9SQ

It's not really the same thing, but there is video of him slapping someone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

What was his family's (perhaps, specifically, his mother's) reaction?

She did get a little fearful, now that you mention it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1510033145151766539?s=21&t=JVbjhGj_mGtznCWPVUmPIA

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Feldegast42 posted:

I do think part of this is that all the potential mid budget movies for adults just get expanded and made into prestige tv nowadays, so those stories do get made but don't hit the big screen

Plus indie movies need some major stars in them to get noticed now. I know people love Little Miss Sunshine, but I see it as kind of the canary in the coal mine, because it was an "indie" movie with Greg Kinnear, Alan Arkin, and Steve loving Carrell. Say what you want about Clerks and Slacker, but can indie movies like that get major notice these days, since they star a bunch of nobodies? They were relative phenomenons when they came out (even if they took a little time to build an audience), and these days they'd either not get made or noticed, or they'd need Robert Downey, Jr. in them or something.

I guess that's not fair, they'd probably get made. But they'd be seen by almost no one. And you can say that's good because gently caress Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater. But the point still stands. I don't see how indie directors like that can hit it big anymore unless they get a big movie star to attach themselves to their movie. Which is kind of a big issue.

So, plug in Evil Dead and Sam Raimi if that works better for you.

I guess none of these were nominated for Oscars (other than Little Miss Sunshine), so it's more of a problem I have with the movie industry on a whole these days.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 7, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean CODA is an indie movie and it’s biggest star is Matlin and just won best picture.

Matlin is, herself, an Oscar winner, and kind of a big deal. But yeah, it is a notable exception.

Like, didn't Fox Searchlight used to be Fox's division for indie movies? They did Nightmare Alley this year, which has quite a few major stars.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not to dismiss Matlin, she's great as is Derbez. But I think it's fair to say a lot of folks saw the movie not knowing who they were.

I think the relationship between big names and indie films is a bit contextual. In the case of CODA, someone like Maitlin is a great actress, but despite her Oscar win, doesn't get a lot of big roles like this. So, both she and the producers are getting something out of her presence.

With Nightmare Alley, it's Del Toro. It's not a little indie film that could. It's a huge director and I'm sure a lot of those big names were excited to get on board.

Then you have Nomadland which was McDormand's baby. The basic bones of what the movie was supposed to be was something she wanted, and she brought Zhao in to bring it to life.

You also have situations like Pig where it technically has a big actor, but one who makes tons of lovely movies, and this just happened to be one of his little invisible movies that was actually really good.

Again, “indie” movies with Bradley Cooper/Cate Blanchett, Frances McDormand, and Nic Cage, respectively. Indie movies (almost always) just can’t get national attention without a star now, unlike the examples I shared. And that is unfortunate.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BiggestBatman posted:

It also doesn't explain return of the king, what's your point?

I have no idea who you’re responding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CPL593H posted:

Oh god, what did Richard Linklater do?

Oh, nothing, I only just realized I was conflating Richard Linklater and Richard Kelly in my head, and people’s opinions of them. So I’ve been an idiot this entire time. Sorry.