Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I didn't care for that one bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Well, this was the exact opposite of what I had hoped would happen.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

That's a strange amount of cruelty from what's ostensibly an AI gone mad. What the hell kind of Star Trek subroutines were programmed in this thing that lets it act this way?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Regallion posted:

Also...whyyy exactly do we have those snazzy glasses on our portrait? that seems...incorrect.

the original design for Jordan(s) had them wearing glasses and even though that got changed at some point in development they forgot to update the UI images. whoops :v:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Regallion posted:

Oh hey the vogels were actually honest, huh.
I wonder if this game has quantum bullshit in it - do the numbers change retroactively depending on our choice?
On more practical note, the family had 7 8 and 10 between them, i would not be surprised if they traded 10 to melody.
Vogels had 2 and 3, we had 5. From this we can deduce that one of the 10 pairs is 6-4 and the other one is 9-1. Either way, the 5-1-4 option was never, ever available to us.

Also...whyyy exactly do we have those snazzy glasses on our portrait? that seems...incorrect.

I wonder how Sora managed to give away the card? She must have entered along with the husbando, but under what pretense? Surely he knew they could not combine. Considering he was...surprised i'd have to wonder how that came to pass.

I'd guess she suggested to combine their cards to get 15. While this wouldn't guarantee their safety like Melody's 10 did, unless everybody else made 10 this would give them some amount of safety. Since only the primary terminal sees the results of the transaction, Vladimir would have no way of knowing that Sora sacrificed herself unless he tried to to another transaction.

Keep in mind, if Jordan had allied with the Vogels (assuming they don't steal her card and leave her with 0), this would have left one of them as the only possible sacrifice. Either whoever was holding the 7, or a random selection if they had combined. Sora probably guessed there was a real possibility of this and made her choice.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Jesus that was brutal. This game isn’t pulling punches.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

Vladimir would have no way of knowing that Sora sacrificed herself unless he tried to to another transaction.

quote:

The players stationed at passive terminals can see which action is chosen, but are unable to see the card numbers of other players participating in the transaction. Results of a COMBINE transaction will not be known until judgement phase, the only information that will be displayed is who you have combined with and the total score.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Yeah, Dai seems way too cruel for a ship AI. Was the Everett built to mock and kill its occupants?

Also, the most shocking part of the update was the Vogels telling the truth.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This got really dark really quickly, huh? It had been a pretty quirky story so far.
I'm almost tempted to say it's a bit too early. Feels like we've barely been introduced to the characters and things have already got serious.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow. This is.. Yeah. Woah. This is -disturbing-.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I did the background art for this game (please don't doxx or stalk me thx), but didn't really know anything about the story when making them and never got around to playing the full game when it came out. So I was pretty interested to see someone make an LP thread about it.

Anyway I did the images of this engine room many years ago and kept them around as a portfolio pieces. I certainly didn't know until now that people were going to be incinerated alive in it. :ohdear:

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Regallion posted:

I wonder if this game has quantum bullshit in it

*looks at title of game* :thunk:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Item Getter posted:

I did the background art for this game (please don't doxx or stalk me thx), but didn't really know anything about the story when making them and never got around to playing the full game when it came out. So I was pretty interested to see someone make an LP thread about it.

Anyway I did the images of this engine room many years ago and kept them around as a portfolio pieces. I certainly didn't know until now that people were going to be incinerated alive in it. :ohdear:

They look really good!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There has to be some quantum bullshit, cause otherwise choosing the twins will just result in the same thing only they all make 10 instead of 2 5s, but Sora still dies cause she gave away her card. Unless she did that because Jordan didn't try to pair up, and if you go with someone she doesn't give (leading to maybe Vladmir dying since the twins are safe with Jordan, or us dying since Katashi and Shizuka already make a 10 and will probably refuse)

Unless of course either Sora always dies and the choice only affects who likes Jordan (lame) or it's pure quantum stuff and the cards change depending on who Jordan chose... which is possible since the name of the game references the Quantum Suicide though experiment and thus we only see the worlds where Jordan survives.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm going to guess the outcome for this round will have been the same whatever your choice. We're still at the start of the game, and the person who died was both not an option to collaborate with and not a character you could potentially date. Plus it potentially frees up Vladimir as an option. I figure it's acting as a sort of tutorial for what the stakes are going to be without affecting what choices you can make going forward. I doubt future rounds will be so forgiving.

I do wonder what would have happened if we'd tried to collaborate with Shizuka and Katashi, though.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The next update will be tomorrow, but we have the next round of votes to decide on! :v:

The first vote is for who we should visit to check up on in light of *gestures at last update*, Vladimir and Melody or Kimiko.

The second vote is who we should go to for advice (specifically regarding our parents), and the options are, well, Vladimir (he knew our parents) or Kimiko (she's the captain)

:v: kinda funny that these choices are back to back like this, but hey.

Also, no need to worry, we will see everything surrounding Make 10 at some point in this LP. While I might miss out on a dialogue option here and there I do intend to show all the primary story as best I can :eng101:

Item Getter posted:

I did the background art for this game

Also hey! The environments in this game are legitimately very good (though one or two are somewhat underutilized imo, but thats not on you lol), you did a really great job!

Mix. fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 16, 2022

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

comfort Vlad and Melody, ask Kimiko about our parents

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Let's go with this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Double Vlad (+ Melody for the first one) vote.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Junpei posted:

Double Vlad (+ Melody for the first one) vote.

This

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thinking about it, the chapter we just played through strikes kind of an odd tonal balance. In something like VLR, everything is played completely serious. No surprises there.

Meanwhile, something like Danganronpa is over-the-top - cartoony, in certain ways. Enough that it buffers all the gory stuff. And it makes the showrunner's clowning antics hilarious.

Here, we've got Dai acting very hard like she wants to be the host of the next Danganronpa, but then realistic emotional tonality with the executions, and it's... bleh.

This might sound heartless, but the game would be more fun if the death was less serious. Just let Dai have her moment... or 'ten'.

Also, voting for Kimiko twice.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Quackles posted:

Thinking about it, the chapter we just played through strikes kind of an odd tonal balance. In something like VLR, everything is played completely serious. No surprises there.

Meanwhile, something like Danganronpa is over-the-top - cartoony, in certain ways. Enough that it buffers all the gory stuff. And it makes the showrunner's clowning antics hilarious.

Here, we've got Dai acting very hard like she wants to be the host of the next Danganronpa, but then realistic emotional tonality with the executions, and it's... bleh.

This might sound heartless, but the game would be more fun if the death was less serious. Just let Dai have her moment... or 'ten'.

Also, voting for Kimiko twice.

That's well put, yeah. The reason Danganronpa's moments of horror/gore work so well is the very delicate balance of their use of Monokuma, and in the juxtaposition of his physical comedy with the very dark execution animations. Having it all be done with Zero Escape style narration doesn't work nearly as well. That's an unfortunate limitation of the genre and budget.

I'll also vote Kimiko twice because I have a sneaking suspicion we're only gonna make things worse for Vlad.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mycelia posted:

Having it all be done with Zero Escape style narration doesn't work nearly as well. That's an unfortunate limitation of the genre and budget.

They could have still done it, I think. The tonal mismatch was really cemented in by having a long, emotional, and heart-rending death scene in the furnace.
If they had just glossed over it and "Whoops! She's gone now,"— or even just had Dai not make everyone else watch— it'd keep the lighter tone alive.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, VLR also had Zero The Third, who was constantly giving everyone demeaning nicknames, so it's not like there's no precedent for it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

I mean, VLR also had Zero The Third, who was constantly giving everyone demeaning nicknames, so it's not like there's no precedent for it.

Oh, absolutely. But Zero III was a comparatively minor part of that game, and for the most part the Ambidex Game ran automatically. So the game could maintain a more serious tone.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, point taken. I think what I was clumsily trying to say is that these things are harder to pull off when you're on a thin budget in general. (I'm soft towards indie devs trying to pull off things and not quite succeeding because I am one myself :shobon:)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mycelia posted:

Yeah, point taken. I think what I was clumsily trying to say is that these things are harder to pull off when you're on a thin budget in general. (I'm soft towards indie devs trying to pull off things and not quite succeeding because I am one myself :shobon:)

Oooh, what are you making? :)

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Voting for Kimiko twice, as well. Vladimir and Melody need their own space.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]

I couldn't sleep. I lay awake staring at the ceiling, my stomach unsettled by my all too recent exposure to the stench of burning flesh. What made it even worse was that this was all my fault. If I'd never been brought aboard the ship, Dai's deadly failsafe measures would never have been activated. Sora would still be alive, Melody would still have a mother and Vladimir a wife.

My stomach churned as the images of Sora popped back into my mind. I tried my best to forget those gruesome images and replace them with her soft smile I saw just days ago while eating lunch with her... But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't escape the sobering reality of the situation: Sora was dead. Silence filled the room for what felt like an eternity.

Suddenly, Ai appeared next to the bed, her head hung low.

This... this is my fault.

Her eyes reflected a sadness I'd never thought a computer program would be capable of feeling.

What? No it isn't. If anyone is to blame, it would be me.

My records are quite complete. Throughout human history, many cases have come before the courts in which a person committed a crime but chose to plead insanity, asserting that they were not themselves when they inflicted harm on others.

Yeah, but...

I have footage of people killing others, people who claim they weren't responsible after the fact. Yet these video records confirm- beyond a shadow of a doubt- that the accused were, in fact, the culprits. They have not been altered in any way: it was that person.

Ai, this isn't like that.

Why isn't it? It is my programming that is killing my friends, killing my family. I watch you die, like you would watch a film. I just watched one of my friends burn through my eyes as a result of my actions. It is my programming- in essence, what makes me, me- so why can I not control it, why is it conflicted?

Ai, do you want your friends to die?

Of course not.

Ai, look at me.

Ai raised her head to look at me. If she didn't glow like a star in the night sky, you would have no way of knowing that this face wasn't human. Her eyes glistened, betraying that she was about to cry.

Ai, this has never been your fault. And never will be.

I-

No, I don't want to hear it. You have no control over your programming. You didn't write that code, nor set up its structure. Asking you to control that is like asking me to grow my hair out red instead of grey.

I can't change it, and neither can you. Sure, I can dye it to try and hide the grey, but in a genetic sense, it's still grey.

I suppose you are right.

However, this does give me an idea.

Ai looked at me for the first time with a hopeful smile. Could an AI feel hope? I honestly didn't know, but if her current demeanor was any indication, they certainly could.

What is it?

Hear me out here. I may not be able to genetically change the fact that I have grey hair, but locating which gene in my genetic map causes me to have grey hair is a whole other matter.

I don't think I understand your idea.

Of course! Why didn't I think about this before?

Ai gave me a quizzical look, tilting her head slightly to one side.

To say that I have grey hair is one thing, but understanding how and why I have grey hair is another thing entirely... Do you have access to your programming?

Of course I do. However, I cannot alter anything.

No, of course not, you were designed with service in mind, programmed to serve at the administrator's behest.

Indeed. I am the Artificial Intelligence Unit 'Everett', Model Number 11037. I was created for the sole purpose of conducting activities aboard the Everett.

Ai's eyes took on a distant, glassy look as she rattled off her service history.

First served under Captain Ayumu Yukimori, now deceased. Currently serving under commanding officer Captain Kimiko Yukimori.

Yes, of course. The real question is: can you access your programming without Dai knowing?

I... I don't know.

Is there a way for you to find out?

I am not sure what her capabilities are.

OK, do you think you could try and find out?

How do you suggest I proceed?

For now, try to locate her particular programming within the AI System. Just tell me when you find it, and I'll see what I can do.

Very well.

This could be the way in. If I can access her programming, I should be able to delete it, or at the very least disable it.

Thank you, Ai.

I haven't completed the task yet.

No, I mean, for coming and seeing me. I didn't even know how I was going to get up and face the day, but now... We might actually be able to fix this, perhaps even prevent any more crew members from going to their deaths. And that's all thanks to you, Ai.

Ai's face lit up with a smile. For the first time since the execution, she looked just like the Ai I'd first met a week ago. Her smile washed over me and I felt happier than I thought possible, given the circumstances. Everything was going to be OK. I was going to make sure of it.

Well, I have duties to attend to before breakfast.

Ai bowed and left as quickly as she came. Even though my eyes were heavy, and my body felt sluggish, there was still no way I could sleep. Enough wallowing in self-pity! Being sad isn't going to bring back Sora- I'd promised to fix this, to save her family and the mission. The day had started and I was already burning daylight! I jumped out of bed, energised by my renewed resolve. Time to get moving!

Nothing gets the day started like...

And this is the final type of choice in QS- what I'm calling the “hangout” choice. Specifically, what choice you make here determines who you encounter and get a resulting scene with... though, usually it's a bit more direct a choice, in the vein of 'should I go help/hang out with X or Y?'. Sometimes, though, it's just about who Jordan encounters while going to do their own thing, like this one. These scenes don't have any bearing on the main plot, and the romance options in QS aren't influenced by these at all, but we'll still be hitting all of them both for completion's sake and because a solid chunk of the character development/worldbuilding is in these moments :v:

The thread voted for us to go get a snack, so that's what we'll be doing here- the other two options will show up in a future update.

...a snack. Everyone knew that you couldn't work on an empty stomach, and I was no different! A little snack would give my brain the boost it needed to really get working on this Deletion Game dilemma. Unfortunately, I would have to sneak into the Kitchen: after all, it wasn't meal time yet.

After making my way silently down the hall, I finally reached the Kitchen. After checking to make sure the coast was clear, I slipped inside. I was surprised by my own skills, and quite impressed.

I'm the greatest secret agent-slash-ninja that ever lived. The name's Bond, Hanzo Bond.

I cautiously made my way to the fridge. When I opened the door, I could see some recently picked fruit. Apples, bananas, and strawberries all in a bowl together at about eye height in the fridge.

Who would have thought that the greatest secret agent-slash-ninja would love bananas?

As I shut the fridge with a banana clasped in my left hand, I heard something move in the herb section of the Kitchen. I immediately froze. What if someone caught me stealing food? The Captain would definitely throw me out the nearest airlock, but Katashi would subject me to far worse. I gulped back my fear before tenatively calling out.

Is anyone there?

Suddenly, laughter filled the Kitchen. I recoiled from the fridge, attempting to hide the banana behind my back. A figure suddenly popped out of the herb garden.

Hanzo Bond? Bananas? Are you trying to kill me?

Shizuka made her way towards me, clutching her stomach as she laughed uncontrollably. I needed to play it cool and come up with something, fast.

Hey, Shizuka, what are you doing here?

The same thing as you, silly.

You're also a secret agent-slash-ninja?

Mwahahahahahaha! I sure am! Seriously, though? I was just hungry.

Isn't stealing food against the rules?

Is it? Then why do you have a banana?

This might seem like it's just a flavor choice, but there's actually different conversations/scenes based on what you choose, so we'll be seeing all three dialogue options here; I'm going to start with the top option, and make my way down the list.

Oh no, Hanzo Bond has been caught by their arch nemesis.

Fufufufufuuuu, how nice of you to join me, Mr. Bond. Now hand over Mr. Snuggles...

Mr. Snuggles?

Stop playing dumb with me, Mr. Bond, and hand over my banana.

Shizuka reached her hand out signalling she wanted the banana.

Even if I did, you'd just kill me anyway.

Oh, Mr. Bond, I'm going to kill you regardless, fufufufu.

Aren't you forgetting something?

I leaned in and whispered the unspoken question.

What's your name?

Oh yeah... I'll be uh... Dr. Niji, evil mastermind and rainbow enthusiast.

I cleared my throat and started again.

Aren't you forgetting something, Dr. Niji?

Don't think you can play such childish games with me, Mr. Bond. Now then, the banana, if you please.

As Shizuka inched closer to me, I started backing up along the kitchen counters, running my free hand along to find an item. I needed to stall.

Ah, yes, the banana...

I found one! I felt a canister of something- it would have to do the trick. I wrapped my fingers around it to try and get a better grip.

KAWARIMI JUTSU!

I threw the canister towards Shizuka. She instinctively grabbed it, buying me just enough time to flee the Kitchen.

I'll get you next time, Dr. Niji... Fufufufu!

I fled to my room with the banana, where I ate it in secret. I sat and thought for quite some time about how to address our Deletion Game problem, but in the end I came up short. I got the distinct impression that I would need the rest of the crew's help if I wanted to work this out. Even though I'd just eaten a light snack, my stomach was still growling. It was about time for breakfast, so I decided to head over to the Dining Hall a little early.

:rolleyes: Aaaaanyway, next, the middle option- the one where we blatantly lie :v:

Um, well... you see, the Captain asked for a banana.

Really?

Shizuka looked at me suspiciously. Her head was tilted slightly to the left and her right eyebrow was arched.

Yessss. She said that she was famished and asked for a banana.

A banana?

Yesss. Bananas are high in both potassium and magnesium, which are both required for proper heart health- not to mention that potassium levels can help lower blood pressure. I think we can both agree that, given the current state of things, we should all be striving to lower our blood pressure.

Shizuka continued to eye me with suspicion. I continued rambling, unable to stop the torrent of nonsense that was pouring out of my mouth.

If you have the chance to eat things like beetroot or corn, they're both full of an antioxidant called lutein, which will help combat blindness. After all, how can you play games if you're blind?

Please stop with the nutrition advice, I get enough of that from Katashi already...

Oh, sorry. Well, I'd best be getting back to the captain.

I had turned and started to head towards the door, thinking that I'd managed to deceive her, when Shizuka's voice suddenly filled the room, causing myw hole body to seize up at once.

A banana?

What's wrong with a banana? Why did Shizuka hate bananas so much? Wait- it might not be Shizuka who hated bananas...

The captain isn't the biggest fan of bananas.

Uh-oh.

Oh, really? You don't say.

She prefers green apples and carrots. She does eat bananas, but she prefers not to... so it's a bit strange for her to ask for one.

Uh, well, I...

I was so busted; no wriggling out of this one. Once everyone heard about what I'd done, they were sure to get rid of me next- after all, who could trust a banana thief?

Here, you'd better take a green apple, too. I'm sure she'll have changed her mind by the time you get there; you don't want to be sent back just to pick up an apple, do you?

Shizuka tossed me a green apple and flashed me a smile. I caught it with my free hand.

Thanks heaps, Shizuka!

You're welcome, Jordan.

I made my way back to my room with the banana and apple, which I ate in secret. For quite some time, I sat and tried to think of different ways that I could stop the Deletion Game. In the end, however, I came up short. It was abundantly clear that I would need the crew's help to work this out. Even though I'd just eaten, my stomach was still growling. It was about time for breakfast, so I decided to head over to the Dining Hall.

:v: And finally, the last option- the one where we just own up to it.

I like to eat when I'm stressed.

Me too! Eating is so much easier than dealing with my feelings.

It really is, isn't it?

Shizuka started riffling through the fridge in front of me. She seemed to be looking for something in particular.

I'm here stealing food, too. I know Katashi will be angry, but...

But?

Well, you know, if it's game over for me in like a week, I wanna be able to eat the food I like before I die.

That makes sense.

Seriously, though. Who steals a banana?

Well, I was hungry, and I really needed something to settle my stomach so I could try to think straight.

But, a banana? There should be better stuff in here...

Shizuka continued rummaging through the fridge, grunting from the physical exertion of her increasingly frenzied search.

Got it! Oh, Katashi, did you really think you could hide this from me?

Shizuka pulled out a large container that was full of vegetables including broccoli and cauliflower.

You mock me for a banana and you want broccoli?

Hahaha, no. THIS!

Shizuka pulled out a small tray that was purposely hidden under the vegetables. The tray contained three pink custard slice pastries topped with chunks of strawberry in jelly.

Katashi looooooves sweets, and strawberries are his favourite.

How did you know this would be here?

Katashi makes desserts when he's stressed, and after yesterday's... you know... I didn't see him again, so I knew he would be doing something like this.

Shouldn't we leave it then?

Not in a million years. Besides, we'll leave him some, it's only fair!

Before I could even argue, Shizuka had whipped out two of the pastries and placed one in front of me. This girl moved like lightning when it came to food. When next she spoke, her mouth was full of custard slice.

Isnis grey?

It is pretty great. My compliments to the chef.

Well, thanks for the treat, Shizuka. And thanks for making this delicious cake, Katashi.

Shizuka had finished inhaling her pastry minutes before me, leaving her enough time to return the fridge and Kitchen to their previous state. The only traces of our wrongdoing were the crumbs at the corners of Shizuka's mouth.

It's our little secret, right?

I'll take it to my grave.

Good! Well, I have to get to the bridge to update the captain. Them's the breaks now that I'm in charge of navigation. Goodbye, free time.

When Shizuka left, I decided to head back to my room. I sat and thought for quite some time on how to address this 'Deletion Game' issue, but kept coming up short. I had the feeling that I was going to need help from other crew members to work this out. Even though I'd just eaten, my stomach was still rumbling. It was about time for breakfast, so I decided to head over to the Dining Hall a little early.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I like Shizuka a lot more. :allears:

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Mix. posted:

Indeed. I am the Artificial Intelligence Unit 'Everett', Model Number 11037. I was created for the sole purpose of conducting activities aboard the Everett.

Nice to meet'cha y'all. Everett AI reporting for duty.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Quackles posted:

Oooh, what are you making? :)

At the risk of self promo, the one that's already out is called Retrace and it's inspired by the same games as this one. It's kinda (very) janky but I did my best :v:

I'm curious what, if anything, Ai will turn up from her investigation. I'm kind of expecting some ghost in the machine where Dai isn't actually an AI, as such, but a person-turned-AI. A very sadistic one. I'm also not sold on Ai's innocent routine, but we'll see.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Quackles posted:

mycelia posted:

Yeah, on the whole, there's definitely some odd pacing overall. It hardly feels like it's been a week, and the silly moments and slice-of-life are kinda awkwardly too adjacent to the dark moments. But it's understandable given a tight budget, and I similarly can't judge too hard for the same reasons. I'm just a sucker for small, earnest devs in general though.

Shizuka's very fun, also cannot deny.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

mycelia posted:

At the risk of self promo, the one that's already out is called Retrace and it's inspired by the same games as this one. It's kinda (very) janky but I did my best :v:

I'm curious what, if anything, Ai will turn up from her investigation. I'm kind of expecting some ghost in the machine where Dai isn't actually an AI, as such, but a person-turned-AI. A very sadistic one. I'm also not sold on Ai's innocent routine, but we'll see.

Oooh, I had a friend recommend this to me. I should give the demo a shot.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Odd Wilson posted:

Yeah, on the whole, there's definitely some odd pacing overall. It hardly feels like it's been a week, and the silly moments and slice-of-life are kinda awkwardly too adjacent to the dark moments. But it's understandable given a tight budget, and I similarly can't judge too hard for the same reasons. I'm just a sucker for small, earnest devs in general though.

Part of the issue is our POV character spent most of that week unconscious, I think - there's been too little time for the characters on the ship to really feel like there's any connection there to me. It definitely feels like it was just a lack of time or budget though, so I also can't fault them. I figure if they'd had more resources they would've been able to make it feel more natural.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the AI one of the dating options

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is the AI one of the dating options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I will not give a straight answer for spoilers reasons, but instead I will say that one of the kickstarter stretch goals was an actual full romance ending with AI and/or DAI. So at least I'll confirm that option in some form was at least on the table during development. :v: