Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I can appreciate that one NPC saw the plot device activate and made the executive decision that our concerns are irrelevant and pushed it anyway. I'm hoping it just stays at Shizuka though, like Junpei said the characters are getting increasingly weird and their reasons for pushing the button can only get more absurd from Shizuka's "poor impulse control" reasoning.

I also hope it does actually fire off and isn't somehow keyed only us or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Yet another instance where we only have 9 people on the ship. Sora, Vladimir's wife, isn't in this timeline at the moment. Melody is, so I assume she passed due to Unspecified Anime Disease earlier. Jordan's parents also never returned. I wonder if they knew it would trigger Dai's deletion game?

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

PepperedMoth posted:

I guess it's possible Kimiko was trying to bluff Dai (and it's possible Kimiko might offer that as an explanation to the rest of the crew), but I feel like Dai would have called her bluff if she didn't think Kimiko was serious, and Dai's in a position to know Kimiko pretty well. (And "being forced to sit around and be bored for a while" would be an odd thing to bluff that hard about given... everything else about the situation.)

And at least one version of Kimiko has already stabbed Jordan in the back in an alternate timeline because "She doesn't appreciate you. She doesn't deserve you."

...maybe this universe's Kimiko is the one that stabbed Jordan in that other path.

Good callout. That Kimiko could absolutely be referring to Dai with that statement. Even if it's not this particular Kimiko, it could be any number of alternate ones.

Unless it's secretly an indication that all of these timelines we're seeing will inevitably converge on each other? Can't wait for "ship doesn't exist because infinite ships piled onto the same point and 404'd that section of spacetime" joke ending.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I don't know if this is secretly a vote, but the answer is always push the button.

Also, it's kinda weird that a dating sim death game doesn't actually seem to use relationship values at any point. It's certainly simpler to code, but it's a very strange design choice.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
In this particular case, a scene in which Shizuka tried to make Jordan pick something for them to do because she wants to be part of what someone else enjoys would be solid. Add an option in the conversation where you tease her with "why not just pick something yourself and invite me" long enough that she admits she doesn't actually know what most of the crew (including Jordan) likes to do because she bounces off it so hard. You now have a character admitting to a flaw that they're trying to correct!

Regression like this would be possible (realistically, it'd be inevitable) later since you can't fundamentally change what you like to do overnight. That said, given how little time is passing in the game I don't think that's much of a concern.

The character I think they've done the best job with overall is Dai. She's insane, but her banter with Jordan sometimes veers into the "hey, I like having friends too" territory. It makes it seem like there's parts of her that do enjoy interacting and hanging out with the crew, it's just much bigger parts of her are really into murder and suffering. It's made worse when people push back against her, but Jordan rolling with it seems to defuse her sadism pretty quickly. It's nice to see in a villain.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Given the first bit about it being inspired by the first human "making the wrong choice", I'd guess something like ADAM'S SIN. I can't imagine the phrase is super-long as it'd make a two-letter clue weird in comparison.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
My guess would be that the activation code is for Ai. Could be that the deactivation code actually shuts down both of them, so without it you've doomed the ship to fall apart with Ai's constant maintenance.

Which would make this story about one plucky crewmember's dimension-hopping journey in resetting a computer by turning it off and on again. I would honestly approve. :v:

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Quackles posted:

That'd explain the "we ran out of air" timeline.

Huh. That'd be neat. My initial assumption was that it something going wrong with the crew that caused Dai to escalate and cut off oxygen, but it doesn't seem like she can kill Kimiko. Makes more sense that it'd be the run where they got a victory against Dai and had time to realize that they still screwed up. They probably suited up to buy time and reboot Ai, and Vladimir gave Melody some of his air as it ran low so she outlived the rest of the crew.

It'd suggest real thought went into some of the alternate endings. Mix. suggested as much, but it's hard to tell given how many obvious joke ones we've gotten so far. Might end up being one of the stronger points of the whole game? Guess we'll find out.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
It's just clicked with me. The deactivation code happens after you're on someone's route, right? That means for every route, there's another route where you put in the code.

I didn't realize. We're not even halfway through the game yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I'm in the weird LP-reader bucket where I will read/watch LPs for games that no one, the LPer, the audience, or myself, seem to enjoy. This did fall into that category, as I was slow to catch up on updates with this knowing not much would change. At the same time, "we play so you don't have to" is something I appreciate, so I'm willing to read even the terrible stuff because someone went out of their way to show how terrible it was. Why make all that effort be in vain? I can join in on the suffering since I'm such an avid LP consumer anyway.

You've successfully accomplished showing off the game here. Doing the cliff notes/abridged version with choice screenshots and dialogue from anything you happened to find funny and/or horrifying and/or gripe-worthy would be appreciated though. You can even ditch the audience participation fully because really, what are we gaining by forcing you to consult us? You could ram multiple random routes together in a single abridged update if you want.