Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone going to ICML? Im not presenting (rip) but I managed to get a travel grant for it anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

When you look at a GitHub page for a research paper, what do you guys want to see if the readme? Im updating mine for a publication and sadly the only advice I'm getting from my labmates is "the code is all there and there's a bibtex citation, why are you worrying :confused:"

Honestly I'm usually pretty happy with just "type this to run model" but idk if that's the norm lol

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

This is SUPER abstract, but as someone who has zero interest in learning python, is learning the basic concepts of modern ML/AI in a Javascript environment?

The context is that my org is starting to delve into ML data science. DS is not my domain, but I do interact with these teams at a system design level so I feel it would be useful to speak their "language", if only to better facilitate relationships within the org.

I spent a fair amount of time bootstrapping JS/TS via some Node projects last year and I know that the majority of this space lives and breathes Python, which I have no real desire to pivot to.

Like I said, this is super abstract and open ended -- I expect the answer is definitely yes, the basics are all easily replicated in JS and are not really bound to a specific language. The fact that I just said "learn ML" probably speaks volumes in that I don't actually know what I want out of this other than to be able to talk to people about how we use ML, and that's probably super specific to toolsets and libraries etc., but at some point I think I just need a jumping off point.

For better or for worse, I learn by doing. So I can watch a thousand hours of youtube video tutorials but until I write the code it's usually in one ear out the other. So I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a foundational level ML "course" or good series focusing on a JS/TS toolchain.

And if this is a really stupid question, I'm wiling to eat my foot here. I typically dislike questions like this where someone asks "how do I learn this technology with no real goal?" because it's super hard to give direction, but I find myself unable to really articulate better than this given I know almost nothing about this space.

e: On python, I know I can probably learn enough to just start with some basic tutorials, but I know that I'm the kind of person who if I get frustrated not being able to write something in python or get it working I'm liable to just put the whole project down, so I'm trying not to stack the deck against me.

Not sure is this is exactly what you're looking for, but I heard Tensorflow has a javascript library and that points to this series as a tutorial. I haven't watched it but the topics look faaaiirrlly complete?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOU2XLYxmsILr3HQpqjLAUkIPa5EaZiui

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

You're better off just sucking it up and learning enough python to get by. I have sympathy for you because I personally dislike python, but the vast majority of the ecosystem and examples for stuff like tensorflow etc. are going to be written in python and frankly learning python is going to be much easier than learning some js binding for tensorflow and trying to figure out why it doesn't work or expose the same features as in the python example.

NGL I'd agree with this 100% if he was looking to do much actual implementation or looking for a deeper understanding. But if the goal is to just understand some of the basics to communicate with datascientists while using js to get an idea of the concepts and workflow, I thiiinnkk it should be fine?

But yeah as soon as you get into actual implementation outside of the simplest models or prepackaged known-to-work-in-js models python is 100% the way to go. There's also like, apache spark in java? I used that once...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah can't say for sure without knowing what you read but I'm currently working on a time series anomaly detection paper that technically uses generative AI.

You basically train a model to reconstruct/regenerate inputs when they're normal. The idea is when the model can't reconstruct the input (hopefully because something is weird) there is a problem. Maybe that's similar :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh this is fun, working on my next paper on anomaly detection and I'm implementing and running some baseline methods. I saved implementing PCA analysis for last because it's EZ and figured it'd be nice to include a non machine learning baseline.

Uh. The out of the box sklearn PCA analysis does a lot better than most of these baselines and my method is performing about the same. Lmao wtf, some of these papers report a difference of 60% between their methods and PCA. These are like AAAI papers too with basically identical preprocessing...

Well that paper is getting derailed :v: