Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

Ehh so I'm kind of backpedaling on my "no python" stance and I'm just hunting for a "just enough python to be useful in ML" type tutorial/resource that will let me competently follow/code along with random tutorials. It looks like Anaconda has a few good leads on practical tutorials or quick courses.

Ultimately I'm happy to eat a "told you so" because there's something about just speaking the native language of the space in an effort to learn the space.

But thanks to everyone and this thread for a bunch of high level links on concepts, etc. The more I poke at the concepts the deeper I want to go, and some of that is putting time into math, which I have the same amount of interest in as python, and then being able to put things into practice will be a nice way to validate my knowledge.

Anyway, a lot of words to say thanks.

Hey opposite-me. I absolutely love everything to do with data visualization, UI and UX but just have no interest in learning JavaScript.

Closest I was tempted to on the darkside was Svelte because drat I love how simple and straightforward it is. But I just have a weird visceral reaction to JavaScript once I spend much time on it. Having learned python as my first and only language it must be the curly braces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Sorry for the double post but it's different topic altogether.

What are people's experiences so far for using LLMs for things like named entity extraction and using it for wrangling unstructured data?

We have a poo poo ton of legacy Word docx "forms" (ie literally just tables on a doc. No XML fields or whatever) and such which I've tested a few times and was pretty impressed with the results converting it to JSON using Mixtral without any context priming or anything. As a data analyst I'm often asked "hey can you analyze this folder of completely unstructured word docs?". I usually manage to avoid it if it isn't something that's easily converted to CSV, but I could see this being useful for this legacy poo poo.

(Though I worry that it'll just perpetuate the business not giving a poo poo about APIs or even just spreadsheets for god's sake)

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Any good examples of ML applications for data management / warehousing?

For example, helping with identifying and standardizing column headers across multiple datasets or spreadsheets?

I know all the rage right now is LLM and unstructured data but for BI analysts and data analysts who mainly work with messy but still structured data sources I'm trying to find applications in that space if such exist.