Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mediocre book you've actually read and did problems from beats great book you hoard in your pdf trove any day of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so have i and so do i, altho this 'relevance eng' job just involves normal software dev nowadays. still applies imo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one of my more deranged things i do is to get a pdf copy, then a separate paper copy, and then start tearing out pages from textbook as i read em. gives sense of progress. i also write on textbooks very liberally

same w papers, but this is less deranged behavior w papers

one book ive read that punches above its weight in my thinkin is michael i jordan and sejnowski's graphical models book. sejnowski's rbm was material part of the start of all this and if you wanna be a weenie about explainability imo you're better off shoving graphical models in poo poo. koller and friedman have a deec graphical models textbook but it goes less hard into the statstical physics than id like

hybrid graphical models and neural crap was how waymo did stuff for a fair bit. now i'm given to understand they have more rl poo poo in there. that's been my reading lately but i dont think there's a definitive good neural rl book yet.

but shoving rl and pgm into one book is unfortunately pretty vast and pgm stuff has a lot of practitioner voodoo in it unfortunately

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 26, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cardinality of data?

if its like 20k thats a nice afternoon for a few peeps w/ real eyeballs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

The requirements are for a minimum of 1200 training images and 400 testing images balanced between the four classes. Is it normal to just use the Mark 1 Eyeball for this? The programmer in me definitely feels like if there was a way to conveniently automate this I should, but that also sounds suspiciously exactly like the point of the project :v:

eyeball will be cheaper and faster

hard to get a decent programmer for less than $100/hr. can get a manual peep to classify for min wage

1200, you dont even need to hire peeps. take two hours and whack it out

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if they're making new algorithms, sure

if you're classifying per se in production there's a fuckton of images and you're getting a sample to train with

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dan jurafsky the years i knew him was kinda 3/4 of the way to being a crying shambling wreck because the neural net peeps were running roughshod over his life's work. he's fundamentally not a neural nets guy and neither is martin iirc. of course they are forced to shove it in any nlu book now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cs229 for reals has pretty moderate problem sets that they still couldn't deal with when they started coursera with it

https://cs229.stanford.edu/summer2019/ps1.pdf

fast.ai is decent enough for neural nets stuff. although you won't be doing nontrivial original stuff from it, you should not condign anyone to that fate in a corp anyways

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get pearlmutter's trick done for pseudo second order method and lots of first order methods with vague handwaving towards curvatures but not much else