Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is SUPER abstract, but as someone who has zero interest in learning python, is learning the basic concepts of modern ML/AI in a Javascript environment?

The context is that my org is starting to delve into ML data science. DS is not my domain, but I do interact with these teams at a system design level so I feel it would be useful to speak their "language", if only to better facilitate relationships within the org.

I spent a fair amount of time bootstrapping JS/TS via some Node projects last year and I know that the majority of this space lives and breathes Python, which I have no real desire to pivot to.

Like I said, this is super abstract and open ended -- I expect the answer is definitely yes, the basics are all easily replicated in JS and are not really bound to a specific language. The fact that I just said "learn ML" probably speaks volumes in that I don't actually know what I want out of this other than to be able to talk to people about how we use ML, and that's probably super specific to toolsets and libraries etc., but at some point I think I just need a jumping off point.

For better or for worse, I learn by doing. So I can watch a thousand hours of youtube video tutorials but until I write the code it's usually in one ear out the other. So I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a foundational level ML "course" or good series focusing on a JS/TS toolchain.

And if this is a really stupid question, I'm wiling to eat my foot here. I typically dislike questions like this where someone asks "how do I learn this technology with no real goal?" because it's super hard to give direction, but I find myself unable to really articulate better than this given I know almost nothing about this space.

e: On python, I know I can probably learn enough to just start with some basic tutorials, but I know that I'm the kind of person who if I get frustrated not being able to write something in python or get it working I'm liable to just put the whole project down, so I'm trying not to stack the deck against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the input gang. I'll see where I get with the tutorials that the tensorflow site links out to first. I didn't mean to position python as some kind of hill to die on -- if I really feel the limitations I probably will do some rudimentary uptake on python, I just didn't want it to be a thing where I have a goal and I have like five dependencies I need to get through to achieve it. Appreciate the frank feedback though.!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehh so I'm kind of backpedaling on my "no python" stance and I'm just hunting for a "just enough python to be useful in ML" type tutorial/resource that will let me competently follow/code along with random tutorials. It looks like Anaconda has a few good leads on practical tutorials or quick courses.

Ultimately I'm happy to eat a "told you so" because there's something about just speaking the native language of the space in an effort to learn the space.

But thanks to everyone and this thread for a bunch of high level links on concepts, etc. The more I poke at the concepts the deeper I want to go, and some of that is putting time into math, which I have the same amount of interest in as python, and then being able to put things into practice will be a nice way to validate my knowledge.

Anyway, a lot of words to say thanks.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 12, 2024