Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
seriously, they suck

i am waiting to have mine removed and the lovely canadian system is all hosed up by covid jerks so i need to wait another 6mo-1yr to get this bitch removed

i keep eating fatty foods and owning myself, i sit here farting endlessly, suffering in pain

how is everyone elses day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

your humours are out of whack, nothing a few leeches can't clear up. maybe leave a potato and a cabbage on it tonight for good measure.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My wife had to have hers removed about 10 years ago. Hope you get it out soon so you can continue eating delicious, grease-filled food without the pain.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

several of my older relatives had to have theirs removed when they were in their 40s due to stones, so it's a matter of time for me probably. i haven't had any crippling gall bladder attacks that they had from time to time for years beforehand though, so i guess so far so good.

i remember they told my dad he wouldn't be able to eat greasy food as much anymore after it was removed, but if anything he eats worse now than he did then and seems fine. yellow bile, what the gently caress is it even doing? apparently nothing.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

yo I have gallstones because I'm a piece of poo poo can't wait to be rid of this stupid loving organ

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Had mine removed pre-COVID within a year of my first attack. :canada: Sorry you’re stuck waiting OP. I had a quick recovery from the surgery, hope you will too.

It did take some time (about a year) for digestion to settle down and I’m still a little punished if I go too greasy. But I know three other people who had theirs out and none of them have any problems now at all. :shrug:

Bad Purchase posted:

yellow bile, what the gently caress is it even doing? apparently nothing.

You actually still have it once your gallbladder is out, you just don’t have a stockpile ready to dump into your digestive system all at once in response to a delicious fried meal anymore.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

bastard organ

Gallbladder is A gently caress

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone figured out what the appendix is for like ever

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

i also had my appendix gently caress up on me a decade ago. then somehow i just got better at the hospital and they didnt feel the need to remove it.

i wonder if i can get a two for one deal and have them get both out at the same time.

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"
the smells.........

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

After years of trying to figure out what was wrong with her gallbladder, Linda finally had surgery. She was excited to finally have it taken care of and was looking forward to feeling better. Unfortunately, the surgery went wrong and Linda ended up with a colostomy bag.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Had mine removed a little over a year ago. I hadn't had an attack since I was 15. And back then I didn't really know what that pain was but the early internet suggested gallbladder and the parents said shut up and go back to bed. So that was that for 25 years. Guess I got lucky with no more attacks.

Then I went in for a turned-40 physical and the ultrasound spotted so many stones that the docs basically pulled out a calendar to schedule surgery, and then remembered that they should probably ask if I wanted the surgery at all. It went about as well as it could go. Knocked out. Two hours later, I was one organ less. The lead surgeon apologized for cutting a bigger hole in my navel than expected because I had a fuckton of stones. They let me keep about "a third to a quarter" of them, which was presented to me in a tupperware container as I was still coming out of anesthesia and I thought it was trail mix - hazelnuts and raisins.

Anyway, I still eat whatever I want, no digestive issues. I seem to have hit the jackpot with that one.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
How did you end up like this? Could a genetic disposition put you at a disadvantage or were you consuming copious amounts of whatever food landed you in this predicament

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

They let me keep about "a third to a quarter" of them, which was presented to me in a tupperware container as I was still coming out of anesthesia and I thought it was trail mix - hazelnuts and raisins.

That’s cool, you made your own pearls. Weird question, do they smell of anything?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I went to the ER after a really bad gallstone attack, and they told me to get it taken out in the next few weeks. Less than two days later, my gallbladder tried to kill me in retaliation by sending stones up to block off my liver and my surgery got fast-tracked

It's been a year and a half and I still occasionally get a reaction if I eat too much greasy/fatty foods at once, so my diet has gotten a lot better lately. It's kinda like being lactose intolerant; you can technically eat anything you want but you have to put up with the lovely consequences

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i really hope at least some of you said 'the unmitigated gall....' when you got the news you needed surgery

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

You need to wait for a year? Hell, I'll do it this weekend, probably for much cheaper too. I'll even put a brand new blade on my hacksaw, no extra charge.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I had a gallbladder attack about 9 months ago. First one ever, but I did lose a decent amount of weight before it happened so the doctor said to wait and see.

I had another one a couple of weeks ago. I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow to talk about if it needs to be removed. Gallbladder attacks are awful.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

That’s cool, you made your own pearls. Weird question, do they smell of anything?

They still had a coating of bile at first, but I rinsed them. Now they don't smell. And the hazelnut-looking ones sound like dice when they clink together.

I can post pics if you want. But I have to study up on how to upload photos on the forums; it's been years since I've done that.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

They still had a coating of bile at first, but I rinsed them. Now they don't smell. And the hazelnut-looking ones sound like dice when they clink together.

I can post pics if you want. But I have to study up on how to upload photos on the forums; it's been years since I've done that.

Do it and just use imgur lol

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I eat nothing but cheese. Will I be ok?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mines fine and I'm prancing around doing dances and making GBS threads all over you OP lmao

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

my mom had hers out like a decade ago

my dad found out he had stones in the fall

so naturally my stones decided to make their first appearance last year and now I have 4 little scars to show for that little fucker

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Peggy Edson posted:

Do it and just use imgur lol

Oh cool. I learned.

Quarter for reference

The brighter ones are actual hazelnuts.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Holy crap that’s a lot of stones and that’s only a quarter of them :psyduck:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Oh cool. I learned.

Quarter for reference

What the gently caress

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Oh cool. I learned.

Quarter for reference

I have never seen gallstones

That being said, I never expected them to look like actual stones

Also voting 5 because some goon showed us their gallstones and that deserves respect :patriot:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Your gallbladder must have been the size of a loving watermelon

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Had to google in case I was being razzed, but poo poo i never actually considered that gallstones were actually, like, rock lookin things. That's cool and scary as hell our bodies tryin to build mountains when it wants us to die.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
look when i said 'everybody must get stoned' i think there was a little miscommunication somewhere along the line

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Sure they're flashy and all, but it takes gall to run up in here with those cheap little rocks. Us smart types? We invest. Planning to cash out big some day soon. Retiring to Bezoar Island. Now if you'll excuse me, there's work to do. 🌚

*empties tiny Tupperware container of eyebrows onto rice*

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

What the gently caress is this? I had mine pulled out this week. Absolute poo poo show.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My wife had her gallbladder removed and asked to keep the stones. She actually had to sharpie a message on herself so the surgeon would know to save them for her

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

i think it was for removing rocks or something. i think 2001 a space odyssey was about this topic actually

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mellow_ posted:

seriously, they suck

i am waiting to have mine removed and the lovely canadian system is all hosed up by covid jerks so i need to wait another 6mo-1yr to get this bitch removed

i keep eating fatty foods and owning myself, i sit here farting endlessly, suffering in pain

how is everyone elses day?

I had this done. You will be amazed how much constant pain you've been ignoring once it's gone.
You'll also probably need to seriously change your diet or poo poo very weird for the rest of your life. But worth it compared to the pain.

Although my surgeon hosed up and left my bile duct leaking into my chest cavity for like a week after the operation and when I went to an ER they thought I was just looking for pain pills so they sent me home without checking. Couldn't sleep, would sweat through towels I'd lay out on the couch so my wife could rest. That was worse pain than the gallbladder.
I ended up with a terrible infection and had to stay in the hospital for another week where they pumped me full of dilaudid and antibiotics every 6 hours. They drew blood every 6 hours too... in the end the veins in my arm were shot so they started drawing from my hands.

I probably came very close to dying, like way closer than anyone ever told me.

But overall, if you don't have a lovely surgeon and then a failure of an ER, you should be better off in the end.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had this done. You will be amazed how much constant pain you've been ignoring once it's gone.
You'll also probably need to seriously change your diet or poo poo very weird for the rest of your life. But worth it compared to the pain.

I totally forgot that for a year or two before my surgery, I had a constant, pulsing ache in my right shoulderblade area. No amount of massage or hot baths fixed it, and a few times it was enough to keep me from sleeping.

I thought it was just stress or how I carried my shoulder bag. But, nope. The doc said that's totally the gallstones. I hadn't realized how much pain I was in all that time until a few days after surgery I realized the soreness was gone.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 10, 2022

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
my wife was very mad when they did not let her keep the stones after her laproscopic cholecystectomy

still cannot eat pot roast :(

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I totally forgot that for a year or two before my surgery, I had a constant, pulsing ache in my right shoulderblade area. No amount of massage or hot baths fixed it, and a few times it was enough to keep me from sleeping.

I thought it was just stress or how I carried my shoulder bag. But, nope. The doc said that's totally the gallstones. I hadn't realized how much pain I was in all that time until a few days after surgery I realized the soreness was gone.

Yeah, for me it was recurring back pain that was never properly diagnosed until I went to the ER. It was about 3 months of terrible back pain episodes every few weeks, and going to a walk-in clinic twice where each time they just gave me a prescription for Naproxen and sent me away without any other tests. I never made the connection that flare-ups were happening an hour or two after eating meals.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Opening a small zip-loc of hair and twirling it around with a fork while I give u the side-eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the existence of the gallbladder implies we should be calling our plain "bladder" a urinebladder or pissbladder to avoid confusion

similar to how a gallon bottle of milk should be referred to as a milkbladder