Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Psychonauts 2 was developed by Double Fine and published by Xbox Game Studios. It was released in August 2021 on Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S, with ports for Mac/Linux still planned available as of May 2022!

The original Psychonauts was a platformer labeled as "Action-Adventure," but it was way more than just that. It won over a lot of people—myself included—with its charm, voice acting, and incredible style, even though it was a commercial failure for several years after release. It jumped in popularity when Double Fine got the rights back and published it on modern platforms. Tim Schafer had interest in a sequel, and here we are.

Psychonauts 2 continues in the tradition of the first with better graphics and some quality-of-life upgrades we've come to expect from games these days. Mind you, the sequel is not a perfect game; combat can be a bit lackluster, ability selection becomes cumbersome and frequent, not everyone liked the collect-a-thon aspects, there are aspects of the story pacing I found a bit weird, and there are other paper cuts here and there. But overall, I loved playing through the game, and experiencing the story.

Psychonauts 2 was also one of the first games funded on fig, a crowdfunding platform for video games created in 2015 by the former COO of Double Fine Productions. The funding was successful though. The game was going to be published by Starbreeze Studios, which fell into bankruptcy in 2018. Microsoft acquired Double Fine a bit later, allowing Double Fine to complete the game to their liking.

To be honest, I didn't follow much of this. I told myself I'd play the game when it's done, and left it at that.

Wasn't there another game?
Double Fine also developed a VR game which set between the events of 1 and 2, called Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin. The story leads right into 2's plot, but the game provides a helpful video detailing the events of the past games.

And if you haven't played the original Psychonauts, there's an LP of it on the Archive!

The game is linear, but it has a lot of fun content! I want to show off as much of the charm Double Fine stuffed into the game, so expect a a whole lot of dialogue as we talk to just about every NPC I can. This ain't a speedrun. I'll also be going for 100%, which was more tedious in the initial release until they added a tool to help you find all those collectibles. Seriously, that patch came out right before I finished the game. It was great.

I'm aiming for weekly updates, with shorter updates between videos from recordings I had to split up.

Constructive criticism welcome
Feel free to criticize the game or point out errors/things I missed in the LP. Lord knows neither are perfect, and I'm sure I'll miss a thing here or there.

:siren: NO SPOILERS :siren:
Speculation and discussion are fine, but keep spoilers to yourself until we've reached that part of the LP.

:siren: MENTAL HEALTH WARNING :siren:
There is a big fat warning in the game's Extras section, and it's worth repeating here.

This game is meant to be a light-hearted adventure about mental issues and healing, but some of the subject matter can be very heavy, or toothy. As in literally depicting teeth. If you find yourself having problems with the subject matter, please take care of yourself first. Step away, take a break, whatever you need to do.

If find yourself in a bad mental health situation, please reach out for help. E/N can help you find resources or, if you're in the US, this page also has resources to help you in a crisis situation.

Still with me? Then let's jump right in!

-----

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

EXTRAS

Here's a bunch of extra stuff posted during the Let's Play that doesn't quite fit into the narrative, or that I just missed. There may be spoilers!

Chimera-gui discusses the enemies.

Chimera-gui posted:

Now that we've met the last regular enemy, I want to talk about the enemies in greater detail to understand why I think theming them around mental processes was brilliant in terms of visual storytelling:

• Censor - The most basic line of defense of any mind, these obstructive bureaucrats seek and stamp out dangerous or harmful thoughts. Unfortunately, Censors can only tell the difference between "native" and "foreign" entities thus Psychonauts trying to aid mental problems are considered no different from genuine dangers hence why they attack anything and anyone that doesn't belong in their host's mind.

• Regret - The meta-physical manifestation of a person's regrets which, even when small, weigh the person down and can be the cause of profound hurting in their minds though in keeping with butterfly symbolism; coming to terms with past regrets can lead to a metaphorical rebirth, thus, relieving them of the weight.

• Doubt - The meta-physical manifestation of the doubts in a person's conflicted mind. The presence of doubt in someone's mind can slow them down as they're questioning themselves repeatedly over it while their weakness to fire ties into burning away one's doubts to keep a clearer mind.

• Bad Idea - The explosive light bulbs that cover the backs of these manifestations invoke the symbolism of light bulbs for ideas and weaponizes it to represent how bad ideas can blow up in your face.

• Judge/Judgement - The meta-physical manifestation of judgmental behavior within their host minds, particularly self-judgement. The tactic of beaning them in the head with their own gavels seems to tie into the idiom: "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you".

• Panic Attack - As sporadic as they are erratic and the meta-physical manifestation embodying the stress of being overwhelmed. Appropriately to cope with a panic attack; one needs to calm down, relax and slow their mind.

• Enabler - True to their name, these gremlins represent the reinforcement of negative emotions and thoughts. The strategy of removing an Enabler's focus by distracting them ties into the belief that to avoid reinforcing negative emotions or thoughts, one should avoid focusing on them.

• Bad Mood - A black cloud that manifests when triggered by something which in turn needs to be dealt with to make the Bad Mood go away. The relevance of the trigger depends on where the Bad Mood is encountered though the cage you need to break will always release a Good Mood in the form of a heart to neutralize the Bad Mood.

• PSI-Popper Generator - Named by the Original concept art for it and nicknamed "Oatmeal" by the Psychonauts team at Double Fine Productions, this is another returning creature from the first game that you first encounter early on in Basic Braining. You don’t encounter them in every Mental World though as ones like Sasha’s Shooting Gallery, Lungfishopolis and Waterloo World are a single large room which renders Oatmeal unnecessary. Not only are they not aggressive but unlike the first game, you will never encounter them during your first run through a Mental World in 2.

I play through the Psychonauts 1 Meat Circus, since we got to see what the real Aquatodome looks like.
Posted after episode 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kh842b5v5E

April Fool's Day 2022 - posted before episode 14

I made the Strawberry Jam Croque Madame, and it didn't suck!. Best to wait until you watched Ford's levels to get the references.

Using clairvoyance on your projection? To the archetypal boy, a boy is a boy.

In the videos, I didn't show off the text on the fans you can slow down with Time Bubble.

quote:

There are five fans in the game that I know have writing on them for sure. The first four are in the Eye Shrine, the last is the Cake Summit.

REALITY IS; ILLUSION IS; TIME IS; PERCEPTION IS

YOU; SERVE; TIME; SERVES

FAST; SLOW; NEVER; STOPS

CAN I; STOP; YOU; TIME
I read it as "Can I stop you" or "Can I stop time."
Mraagvpeine got "Time can I stop you" which honestly makes more sense.

And then the cake

Never; Forever; Apart; Ever
Probably intended as "Never Apart" and "Forever & Ever".

fractalairduct found a Twitter thread that translates the Latin in Cassie's level. It's very relevant to plot points, so big fat spoiler warning if you're at the first videos!

https://twitter.com/bluwacky/status/1431614496439775236?lang=en

"Consilium Apium", or "The Bees' Plan"
Once a wasp said "I'm going to eat a beehive." Six brave bees began to buzz.
The first bee told a story. It was bad.
The second sang a song of peace. The wasp did not like it.
The third asked for help from the ants, but they said no.
The fourth bee used a vine, but the wasp broke free.
The fifth bee tried to freeze it, but the wasp didn't notice.
The sixth bee at last won the day. But he lost his mind.
The first bee, she was utterly distraught. From the many who failed, she was the first.
"I will make myself stronger". She put her kindness away on top of a bookshelf.
She left the beehive and made another one. But in the beehive, she is alone.
She terrifies strangers. And she lives there to this very day.

---

With the right pins, the funicular becomes the Fast-icular!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzY51nbHNk

---

Bringing up the rear, a few videos for when the game is over:

I encountered a weird enemy duplication glitch when fighting a panic attack. It looks like it may have made the fight unwinnable, but I'll never really know.

What happens if you stack your pins to speed up the maligula fight? Not as much as you might hope.

AND BECAUSE NOBODY ASKED FOR IT YOU'RE WELCOME

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 29, 2022

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Need to get up to speed? Game's got you covered.

-----

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm looking forward to this.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Still can't believe we got this sequel.

Ground floor, bag of popcorn :munch: let's do this.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
During Nidoking's LP of the first Psychonauts, it was noted that a Psychonaut following actual procedure wouldn't be clumsily bumbling through the persons mind with potentially disastrous consequences like Raz (the kid was trained as an acrobat, not in psychology) nor would they knowingly manipulate the person with malicious intent like Oleander and here we see Sasha Nein construct a fabricated world to peacefully coax the truth out of Loboto as subtly as much as game allows since we as the audience needed to be clued in to what our heroes were doing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Yes, actual psychic modification of a person's mind is one of those trigger warnings for things that will be discussed later in the game. Here, I believe the office setting is just an enclave Sasha built in Loboto's mind for the purpose of cutting out any distractions from the rest of his mind and focusing on finding the identity of his boss. When he got suspicious enough to break the illusion, we can see his own mind start to take its normal shape as the office construct disintegrates, bit by bit. It is a bit of a misdirection for the opening, and a lot subtler than the earlier draft that's hidden in the game as an Easter egg. There's actually a lot of that in this game, and it's fun to try to pinpoint the moment when you realize what's actually going on in any given plot thread. You can get more than you'd imagine out of a replay.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hell, Linda could be considered the first example of true modification of a person's mind compared to the office since, unlike with Oleander and Linda, Sasha wasn't trying to control Loboto but instead convince him to reveal his boss's identity voluntarily and it's implied that Loboto would willingly cooperate if his boss hadn't instilled fear in him through the image of Maligula. As Loboto said, he's trying to protect himself.

As the original game demonstrated with Edgar, it is fully possible to construct a mental world to hide a painful truth as Black Velvetopia was a complete confabulation in response to the former being dumped and subsequently losing a match.

Even Milla's Dance Party was constructed as a way to move on from her trauma by wrapping herself in things she enjoys like partying, dance and television though unlike Edgar, she isn't trying to completely and strictly repress her nightmares either but instead only sections it off from the camp kids as she believes that it would be irresponsible to let her young students be exposed to her trauma and even then there is a clear door to said cage.

Recall Sasha's warning about completely suppressing things like censor energy, it's implied that he learned to release rather than repress completely so the implication is that Milla recognizes this as well and thus would be more willing to explain her grief/trauma to another adult such as a therapist.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 11, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Despite the several parts of this game which I feel could have been much tighter, this was a really good game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Now I understand why there was a content warning about teeth :gonk:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Teeth/dentists are one of the most common phobias/triggers, right? I could see people bouncing hard off this level.

I'm glad I don't have that problem (with a drill on my teeth I have to be careful not to fall asleep from boredom, that's how unbothered I am) because I'm a bigger baby than my actual 2 years old niece with anything involving noses* or eyedrops.

*like a loving Covid test :suicide:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I only just realized last night that the first time in Coach Oleander's mind in the first game, Elton says that the recruiting office reminds him of a dentist's office. I never made the connection because Dr. Loboto being a dentist was such a throwaway joke, but with this game bringing that profession to the forefront, but I have to believe that was intentional because Psychonauts was one of those games that didn't waste any details. It's also incredibly weird to me seeing Coach Oleander as a good guy in this game after so many years of him being a villain reformed as a coda.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

You mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm2soKWS2Dk&t=124s

:aaa: I never made the connection either. That's amazing.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 30, 2022

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I really dislike the interns. They are all much meaner than even the bully from the first game, and have no real redeeming qualities in my opinion. Just arrogant jerks from beginning to end!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Chronische posted:

I really dislike the interns. They are all much meaner than even the bully from the first game, and have no real redeeming qualities in my opinion. Just arrogant jerks from beginning to end!

To be fair, Bobby was supposed to be completely outclassed by Raz to show just how toothless he really was as a bully whereas the interns are meant to actually be on par with if not better than Raz to show that Raz's talent is not enough anymore and thus why he needs to be trained to properly utilize his abilities.

Raz may have been the true strongman at Camp Whispering Rock but now he's the underdog that no one but Lili, Ford, Sasha, Milla and Oleander respects.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 16, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Chronische posted:

Mmm. They are one of the... weaker parts of the game. I feel that they were supposed to be more fleshed out? But with the exception of one of them, they feel less realized than the kids at camp, by a long shot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, Bobby was supposed to be completely outclassed by Raz to show just how toothless he really was as a bully whereas the interns are meant to actually be on par with if not better than Raz to show that Raz's talent is not enough anymore and thus why he needs to be trained to properly utilize his abilities.

Raz may have been the true strongman at Camp Whispering Rock but now he's the underdog that no one but Lili, Ford, Sasha, Milla and Oleander respects.

I mean, if Raz has these people in his corners, the interns should very quickly get a clue?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, Lili is also about on par with the interns in terms of actual privilege - yes, she's the Grand Head's daughter, but she was still sent to Whispering Rock Summer Camp with all the trainees. Ford is officially Not Really Important as far as the Psychonauts are concerned - at least from the subtext I picked up in the first game, even though he manages the camp and monitors the world's situation, it doesn't seem like he's doing it for the organization, which is why only Sasha and Milla handle his missions. The plain text of this game so far bears that out as well. I have a feeling that if Oleander were more respected as a Psychonaut, he wouldn't have developed megalomania. As for Sasha and Milla, they do seem to be significant figures to the organization, but they were also assigned to the summer camp, and when they called in to the Motherlobe in Rhombus of Ruin, they were blown off - possibly related to the mole interfering with the command infrastructure somehow, but also possibly because they're not important enough to take their calls when there's a priority mission happening.

I've considered the character development in this game one of the weaker parts, since I found almost none of the new characters to be particularly memorable after playing most of the game, but I also expect that I missed a lot of detail that might have helped. The Psychonauts agents largely felt like they were intentionally indistinct, although I did pick out a few names that kept popping up, and as for the interns, nearly every time they showed up, I found myself asking "Who the heck is that?" Part of the reason I've been looking so forward to this LP is to see more of the plot threads that I had to dig for in the first game over many playthroughs, so perhaps more of these faces will become characters for me.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

I think the tone and pacing of the second game are different enough that it changes the NPC interactions... for the better? Worse? It's subjective, but I still really like the writing.

Chimera-gui posted:

There's also some of that. I mean, we are the newest kid here, and while we're the protagonist of this adventure, this time everyone else is more the protagonist of theirs.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nidoking posted:

I have a feeling that if Oleander were more respected as a Psychonaut, he wouldn't have developed megalomania.
Yeah reportedly while they did not reject him outright like the military, the Psychonauts did not deploy Oleander because of his aggressive nature which didn't help the complex he has about feeling useless due to his height.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The character work is definitely a weak point of the game, especially when compared with Psychonauts 1 where it was one of the game's biggest strong points if not the biggest strong point.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
personally i think that the game hits its stride with the characters whose minds you actually go into and the interns largely are very whatever

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Kinu Nishimura posted:

personally i think that the game hits its stride with the characters whose minds you actually go into and the interns largely are very whatever

Agreed. All the really good characterization and storytelling is inside the brains, while the interns are just sort of there. I got the sense that they were originally meant to be a bigger part of the story.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It's not that there aren't good characters in the game, necessarily. Certainly not. Compared to most games this one is great on that front. However, it is the sequel to a game in which every single character was a slam dunk. The interns are the most glaring example because they invite direct comparison to the campers from the first game, and that is about the least charitable you can make between this game and the last. Again, it's not that the interns are bad. I like them. It's just that they're just about the weakest part of the game, as compared to the campers which were one of the defining features of the first.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i kinda hated like half the characters' minds in the first game so it's a tradeoff between more fun npcs and more fun actual story characters for me

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

They are hardly 'on par' with him, since he not only does all the work in THIS game too (noticing things they should have noticed ages ago), but he has learned more in a few days than they have in however long they've been interns. They're just arrogant and, frankly, stupid jerks.

I like the first game's levels significantly more than this one, none of Psychonaut's 2's levels stand out anywhere near as much as those of the first game. Some are on-par with, to be fair, the first three levels but none make the extra leap to match the REAL levels! That isn't to say that they are bad, because they are still stylish and fun, but they just don't quite make it. That said, the real world exploration is a lot more fun than Whispering Rock, but we'll get to that later.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Chronische posted:

They are hardly 'on par' with him, since he not only does all the work in THIS game too (noticing things they should have noticed ages ago), but he has learned more in a few days than they have in however long they've been interns. They're just arrogant and, frankly, stupid jerks.

Has he though? With the exception of Clairvoyance and Psi Blast, literally everything Raz starts the game with is something at least one of the interns is not only confirmed to already have but is likely more proficient in than Raz (Levitation, Telekinesis, Astral Projection and Pyrokinesis).

As for Raz doing all the work keep in mind that not only is that technically a gameplay conceit, bare in mind that even the adult Psychonauts didn't catch the things I assume you're referring to even though they should have even before the interns, but we'll see that unlike with Sasha and Milla last game Raz isn't the only one investigating the mole situation.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 30, 2022

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah not counting the main villain, Norma is gonna be our recurring antagonist going forward just as Bobby Zilch was in the first game since she's looking for the mole too and, unfortunately, Raz is at the top of her list of suspects.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think the interns also fill in the whole Mean Teens trope.
Every show with kids at school had the episode where the smart kid gets sent to high school.

(Deluginist is a grade S pun tho)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 19, 2022

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

We're definitely in the big kids corral now!

I went back and looked at the kids' models from the first games for fun. We definitely got a graphical upgrade, even if the intern program is that much smaller.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, purely technical fidelity aside, every character in Psychonauts had so much unique visual flair, even relatively background characters, while with lots of the characters in 2 that had no counterpart in the original, it's clear that they were made by a different team at a different time, they tend to share the same... blobby aesthetic that just doesn't stand up to the charming creativity of the first game.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay, I'm gonna guess that Colin's the mole, and someone has filled up his head with thoughts of bacon to distract Ford Cruller from reading his mind.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 30, 2022

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I do like that how Hollis remarks "Oh, you think the human mind is safe?"

Even before we start this Mental World, we know that psychics can royally gently caress up a person's mind thanks to not only Oleander conditioning both Linda and Boyd but also because Raz's own bumbling both unleashed the product of the latter's conditioning as well as nearly got the aforementioned Edgar killed. The former doing an example of loving up someone's mind out of malice while the latter as well as this are examples of doing so out of ignorance and/or clumsiness.

I also like that Sam is the first to realize "Oh gently caress me, this can only end very badly" Like she's the only one who doesn't directly goad you into changing Hollis's mind but rather asks you to not kill her mind.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I get the feeling that when we do enter more minds further on in the game, Raz is definitely going to pull another Edgar and almost kill someone, again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I agree that Delugeinist is an astounding pun.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

It's a fantastic pun! And far from the last pun.

Chimera-gui posted:

I do like that how Hollis remarks "Oh, you think the human mind is safe?"

Even before we start this Mental World, we know that psychics can royally gently caress up a person's mind thanks to not only Oleander conditioning both Linda and Boyd but also because Raz's own bumbling both unleashed the product of the latter's conditioning as well as nearly got the aforementioned Edgar killed. The former doing an example of loving up someone's mind out of malice while the latter as well as this are examples of doing so out of ignorance and/or clumsiness.

I also like that Sam is the first to realize "Oh gently caress me, this can only end very badly" Like she's the only one who doesn't directly goad you into changing Hollis's mind but rather asks you to not kill her mind.

In some ways the story "grew up" between Psychonauts 1 and 2, and this is one of the parts I find evolved with a good result. This level is a fantastic way for the game to show off not only new mechanics, but also how it weaves light-heartedness and darker ideas together. Because let's face it, Loboto's Labyrinth was just a taste that left us teething.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Anaxite posted:

It's a fantastic pun! And far from the last pun.

In some ways the story "grew up" between Psychonauts 1 and 2, and this is one of the parts I find evolved with a good result. This level is a fantastic way for the game to show off not only new mechanics, but also how it weaves light-heartedness and darker ideas together. Because let's face it, Loboto's Labyrinth was just a taste that left us teething.

And we all thought Meat Circus was bad enough. Teeth don't normally bother me, and yet :gonk:

I like how in just one level, this game shows us how disastrous jumbling around someone's brain can be, which as someone previously mentioned, was only lightly grazed upon in the first game. It only took a few hops to turn the head of the whole Psychonauts organization from a cautious, albeit strict, leader to "SCREW THE RULES, LETS GET MONEY."